Xbox One interface will be redesigned for Kinect-less future

The Xbox One interface will not be easy to use without Kinect, that's the way it has been designed. Thankfully Microsoft know this and according to executive Yusuf Mehdi are planning to overhaul it.

Microsoft announced yesterday that it will release a new Kinect-Less SKU for Xbox One and therefore it'll be looking to change the way the interface works with this in mind.

“We do want to find ways to give you some of those shortcuts and make some of the things that we have with Kinect easier with the controller,” Mehdi said.

“You can expect to see us do a bunch of things over the coming months to make the experience easier and easier, even if you don’t have a Kinect.”

Mehdi said Microsoft is “still kind of working through that”, so we aren't likely to see anything too soon.

Edited On 14 May, 2014

Comments
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
They do need to change it, if they just game back the quick guide from the 360 then that could help.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
They should make it to be able to switch between an kinect inter face & non kinect interface for the people who will buy an xbox one with out an kinect.
ANDREW 3 years ago
I'm sorry but why would anyone want to buy an xbox one without kinect? It's £350 , for £40 on this very website and most website you can have one with titanfall and a kinect , it just doesn't make sence now they are overpricing you for the kinect-less one , it's stupid the consumer is not gaining anything from this , if you can afford £350 you can afford an extra £40
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Andrew your missing the point not everyone wants an kinect you know. There just giving you that option now witch they should of done from the start.
CHRIS 3 years ago
I don't think he's missing the point. Retailers have unofficially cut the cost of the Xbox one by as much as a hundred pounds in recent weeks. Why would you pay the same amount of money for a console without kinect and without a game to play?
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Chris like i said above most people don't want an kinect. But yes retailers have cut prices of the original one that's true but they will cut the price of the kinectless version after an month or so.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
'xbox go to netflix' is the best thing ever invented
Most people already have a doorstop
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
i dont think it would be all that hard to use without kinect tbh, all theyd really need to look at was snapping.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
they really have changed there minds on this but i can see it as a good thing with the option there if you want kniect or not but does this mean it will be put on the back burner for now and less games will use it
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
When you go watch stuff it is usually best to turn Kinect offf. On occasion when I scratch my head, the video pauses or goes back to main menu / home screen and have to start again. When I say "Xbox " it does nothing or does something I do not want it do. All it needs now is a decent remote control. The one that has been released is pathetic. It has no X, Y, A, B buttons on it, so can not quickly search in Netflix by pressing Y, you have to move to the search button and then press select, and on the 360 remote you could use the next and previous buttons on the remote to page back and forward through all the grouped selections quickly, but can not do this on the Xbox ONE remote, you have to go through each and every single item. It is also horrible to hold, and where the bottom is shaped like a boat, when you press buttons on the left or right, the remote moves away making it harder to press the buttons, giving hand ache. The only good thing about it is it looks cool, but functionality is crap.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
My Kinect was turned off after just 3 days of owning it but I have had some troubles finding the things I want to use since then. Kinect was just too irritating for me where it was randomly doing things I didn't even want to do. Microsoft should make the Kinect-less bundle cheaper but I guess they still want people to be tempted to pay the £40 more.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Makes perfect sense as I doubt many people will end up using kinect after this. The Xbox one without kinect should be cheaper than £350 though. But I expect once it gets released certain retailers will offer it cheaper, like they did with titanfall bundle, even if it was only cheaper for a limited time.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I will still use my Kinect. How vigorously do you scratch your head Tony I have never had that happening. I know some people have issues with it understanding them but 9 times out of 10 mines works.
Ryan 3 years ago
The latest new from Microsoft is making me want to get one even more:) Need to try and save up for one
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
You will still need Kinect for D4
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 3 years ago
Well this is funny, all the Kinect they shoved down our throats have finally come back to haunt them... guess they had to do something to try and shorten the gap with Sony PlayStation 4. Tempted to pick an X1 at the moment but I need more exclusives etc. as Im quite happy with my PS4 for multiplats etc.