Games with Gold requires you to stay subscribed to access free games

The relaunched Xbox Games With Gold will require users to stay as members of Xbox LIVE Gold in order to keep access to their games.

The move will make Xbox LIVE Games with Gold similar to Sony's PlayStation Plus, allowing for Microsoft to give away more recent games in exchange for users committing to Xbox LIVE for as long as they want access to them.

Games with Gold will launch on Xbox One in June with Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault being the first titles given away for free, although Microsoft has also promised a few more surprises.

In addition, again much like PS Plus, Microsoft will offer discounts on select titles for Xbox LIVE Gold members.

Edited On 14 May, 2014

Comments
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I presume this has happened so they can offer more attractive and recent games like PS plus does which should be a good thing.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
This could be a good thing & like bindiana said this could bring more better games to games with gold.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Some decent titles coming first. I've already paid for both lol but well worth checking them out, especially Max Curse of the Brotherhood, great little platform/puzzler in my opinion.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Agree with the above
So it's a rental service now
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Ha Ha that argument cant be used anymore will have to come up with a new argument now.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Don't you know its the new blockbuster.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
its a good incentive to keep on with the gold service now as many xbox users stopped paying for it i know alot of my friends did ,this can only improve the service and make it better like ps plus has
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Is there more info on this? It only affects free Xbox ONE games then? I also assume that all games given free so far on Xbox 360 will still be playable without the Gold sub?
Don't think the 360 will get anymore
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
360 is still getting games, and getting more, as taken from the other article: "Microsoft has also announced that in June, Games with Gold members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.”"
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
So Games with Gold loses the single bulletpoint it actually had to differentiate itself from PS+? It's basically PS+ with less games offered now. Will be interesting to see how all those MS fans that were so vocal about the importance of digital ownership to them will react to this turn of events.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
Fine by me, my live subscription doesn't end for a very long time. Plus I'd happily renew it every time. I'm happy that my X1 will be played some more now.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Same as my PS+ I dont see me stopping it anytime soon. Of course there will be less games offered as they only have 2 consoles to do it for not 3.
Ryan 3 years ago
I just hope Xbox brings better games it needs too!
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
It is only Xbox ONE you have to stay subscribed to Gold, so no different than what was announced last year. The extra free game for June just looks like a promotion to celebrate its anniversary. http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices "**Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games."
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I haven't signed up to PS plus yet but will do eventually. On the PS3 I found my 160GB isn't really big enough to sustain all my downloads although I am keen to get a 12GB and bolt on 1TB. Even then could see myself filling it!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Its the same with the PS4 and xbox one 500GB is just not enough. I could see myself upgrading the hard drive soon. Hopefully the xbox one will get that update as well at some point.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
I upgraded my ps3 to 650gb and was so easy , i to will be looking to upgrade my ps4 soon with all these bigger installs and updates may be to a 1tb or higher if i can find one
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I would prefer the external HDD option for both of them personally.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
External hard-drives shared by multiple consoles... Might be onto something there
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
That would be ideal but even one each. It would be easier to take an external HDD with my digital games saved on it rather than having to download them again at their house.
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
Like superniceguy said. This subscription based version is only for Xbox One, not for 360. So far, there are good, but old games. I hope that they will step it up in the months to follow. Maybe we will see some announcements on this year's E3 :)