Xbox to offer Gold Membership refund for those wanting to return to Silver

Microsoft has revealed that once its changes to Xbox LIVE arrive next month, users will be able to request a refund if they wish to revert to Silver membership.

A statement reads, "Once the Xbox One and Xbox 360 system updates become available in June, Xbox Live Gold members who purchased a paid membership before that day can cancel and receive a pro-rata refund of any unused remaining days between the date of cancellation and the date their paid Gold membership ends.

"Cancellation and pro-rata refund requests must be made by August 31, 2014 and require six to eight weeks for processing. Free or trial Gold memberships are not eligible for a refund. To request your pro-rata refund, please click http://support.xbox.com/contact-us after the system updates become available in June."

The reason for this is that Apps such as Netflix and the like will now be free to access, therefore people only using Xbox LIVE Gold for these services will be free to use them as Silver members.

Edited On 14 May, 2014

Comments
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Thats good of them I suppose.
juvan1le's avatar
juvan1le 3 years ago
Microsoft slowly starting to earn back peoples trust with all this recent news, its good but the fact they tried to mess us over with the DRM stuff is something that i wont forget, but im still considering getting an xbox 1 this christmas
Might go for this since I don't use my 369 much
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Given the large number of people that only have an Xbox Live Gold subscription purely to access apps that are now finally going to be free to access they pretty much had no choice but to offer something like this, or else they'd have had even more bad publicity to deal with from pissed off long term subbers who will no longer need Gold membership. I can see their Gold subs taking a big hit in sales from June once the paywall comes down.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Is it me or is MS trying to go all nice lately, perhaps its a new PR stunt. Nonetheless its still good for people who no longer want Gold membership.
360
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
its good the option is there for people who want to , does look like microsoft is trying hard lately to win back some support
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Don't know if it is a PR stunt could just be that a change of management was what it needed for them to listen to the people
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
PC MASTER RACE!!
Ryan 3 years ago
Microsoft are trying to be nice for a change haha :) thanks for the update
Ryan 3 years ago
Looks like phil spencer is making stuff happen :)
LepperTyke's avatar
LepperTyke 3 years ago
I can't help thinking that all these changes from MS recently of cloning to the Sony Playstation online model is a final admission from them that they truly are losing the next generation gaming war.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
Great news for XBox fans! I never understood it for subscription services although online play and keeping servers up I can
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
That annoys me this "war" guff its hardly a war. It's not that its the first time either that a company has taken a successful thing their competing company does and try to do their own spin on it. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I tell you something ZombieFlamingo if either Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo for that matter stopped developing games consoles, it would become a poorer hobby. It'd probably cause another video games crash. Imagine one console. Developers would get sloppy, nothing will move as fast and boundaries won't be pushed so hard. When Sega dipped out, The PS2 took over and that's why in the early 2000's you had a load of crap out like London City Racer
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I know. I dont understand why anyone wants either one of the 3 to fail. It is quite good that one had a lead as it will give the others motivation to outdo them though.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I definitely agree with that. Last generation it was XBox, this generation Sony looks like a front runner. Nintendo are beginning to cater for older gamers too now. The only thing I think Sony really does have a lead on from last gen was the quality of some games such as God of War 3, Unchartered and Last of Us. These games are very portable. I can see all GOWs being ported to the 4 at some point
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
Even though I have Last of Us on PS3 I really really want a PS4 and it... Greatest game ever! Then again I also want Resident Evil 2 HD without all modern aspects. A carbon copy with suped up graphics would be amazing
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
Gloria I honestly think it would be. The catchment of Nintendo is larger also catering for the younger gamers but XBox and Playstation are big brands now. If one disappears watch the quality diminish. It happened when the Dreamcast clocked out which was an amazing machine I should add (wasn't it more powerful than the PS2? Like the Saturn was to the PS1?)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Didnt really like God of War that much. Would prefer a Resi 1 remake though like what they done with the gamecube version.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
It's still under contract to Nintendo I believe. Never understood that as the fanbase was all on the PS. Did you ever play Zero?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I really liked Zero and would like to have seen where they went with Rebecca and Billy rather than Leon and Chris over and over again. Even Claire she needs a new one as well.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Gloria you see Mario Kart got 9/10 from Edge not that I was expecting anything different.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I agree Claire was my favourite character. I thought Zero was fantastic. It all went wrong towards the end of 5 and 6 was a shambolic mess which should never of been released. Code Veronica X is excellent too. On the PS3 you can get both that and 4 for £15.99!
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
Mario Kart 64... What a game!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
5 was ok but 6 just tried to do too much. You tried Revelations yet. I have them all on the Gamecube and bought the digital version on the 360 when they were on sale.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I have the original 3 and Gun Survivor as well as 1 Directors Cut all on the PS1. I've still got 4 and Code Veronica X on PS2 even though I no longer have a PS2 and only 5 on the PS3. I did have 6 momentarily but I flogged it it was that bad. Haven't played Revelations though I have heard it's good. I would quite like the Silent Hill HD remakes but understand they are quite broken
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
That is nice of them I guess.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
This will be helpful for some people indeed. Also we need to know where rebecca got too or claire yeah resident evil wise. But i would adore an resident evil 0 remake for the Ps3 or Wii-U.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Did they nit release it again on the wii? You should try revelations it was really good.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I have revelations for my ps3 going to start it in the coming months & i know its an pretty sweet game also since I played a bit of it on 3ds an long time ago.
DarkZentai's avatar
DarkZentai 3 years ago
juvan1le you say MS earn back peoples trust what a laugh this is an act of desperation sony has hit MS so hard by show everyone what nasty a companie MS really is MS would of never done this if they were not in the spot they are in now and I don't need to list it as it easy to find all the bad stuff they did or tried to get away with
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
I agree with *some* of what DarkZentai said, MS hasn't suddenly become a bunch of nice people. Its clearly marketing ploys to try and catch up with the PS4. It started before launch when PS4 was ahead of XB1 on pre orders, they decided to give a free game (fifa/forza), that didn't have the impact they'd hoped for so when Titanfall came they did the cheaper bundle. Again not as much impact as hoped so last option was to go back on the whole Kinect thing (which they sternly stated would always be sold with the console) as well as changing the Live policies and Games for Gold offerings. Saying that I wouldn't say MS is nasty, they're no different to Sony in that they're a business and maximising profit is the long term goal. They just clearly overestimated the blind loyalty they assumed they'd get from their 360 install base, a bad business decision and hence why people were sacked
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I agree with RTLF neither of them are nasty. I remember the same things said originally about the PS3. They are both in it for the business.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
" I don't think MS or Sony going down the toilet would be too much of a disaster, if Nintendo pulled out though it would be game over for sure." - Not for the wider industry it wouldn't. Nintendo would actually be the least damaging loss in terms of the knock on effect it would have if they were to stop producing hardware. The loss of either MS or Sony would be utterly catastrophic for third parties, and the industry's survival obviously hinges on a fairly small number of third party publishers. Seeing as Nintendo have lost practically all third party support already, the impact of them leaving would be relatively minor at this point in time. Though I guess a fair point could be made that if the 3DS were to go prematurely, that'd be the end of Capcom as well, seeing as Monster Hunter is pretty much the only thing keeping them afloat any more.
That's a typically skewed way of looking at things, if either MS or Sony goes there will be no drastic repercussions, neither fanbase has allegiances so strong that they wouldn't switch to the other, as has been shown with many gamers switching this generation. There would be a few die hards who would just give up, but not enough to cause a major disaster. Nintendo has been the source, or at least the spur, of the majority of innovation in gaming since the last crash, without them, and don't kid yourself they'd still be around making games for Xbox or PS, the industry would stagnate and the market would oversaturate, which is exactly what led to the last crash.