PS4 top selling console in the US for fourth month in a row

PlayStation 4 has once again been announced as the best-selling individual hardware platform at US retail during April. That’s the fourth months in a row.

Xbox One sold 115,000 units, putting PS4 at over that, although we don't know by how much as Sony never reveals its NPD figures.

Microsoft can be a little pleased as it sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles, 447,000 Xbox One games and 2.2 million Xbox 360 games.

“Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said.

“PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40% compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months. Wii U software sales were up over last year by over 80%.”

Infamous: Second Son was the best selling next generation title in April apparently, which we're guessing means that it outsold the Xbox One version of Titanfall.

Nintendo has not issued a response to the NPD’s report.

Edited On 16 May, 2014

Comments
Good news for sony did any one catch the story on thursday about why ps4 is the lead console due to people still play a xbox 360 so funny
Dark572Assassin 5 months ago
Congratulations to sony. I wonder what the sales will be for all 3 consoles after e3 & there handhelds also.
Akemi no Zero 5 months ago
It's the PlayStation 2 all over again. Great news.
Light Heaven 5 months ago
Junes figures will be interesting to see if Microsoft claw any back with the Kinectless console and E3 announcements
Bindiana 5 months ago
keep the excuses coming Microsoft
PhilyB 5 months ago
Should be closer next month with MS releasing the Kinectless Xbox One, wouldn't surprise me Xbox One was top selling console for June, even if its only for one month.
Spear 25 5 months ago
@ Bindiana, depends on the price, RRP for standalone is £350 at moment so it doesn't seem a good deal. Mind you my local GAME are saying as of yesterday, the first Kinect less bundles will be priced at £319.99 with one game from the choice of Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, Wolfstein, Watch Dogs, that would be a great price if true, I mean you could say average game price is £50 which puts the standalone console at £270, going to be an interesting few months but I think a lot will depend on E3 and what games Microsoft and Sony announce/show.
Old Timer 5 months ago
Titanfall or Watch Dogs bundle for £320 would be a very good deal can see it at that price but you never know.
Bindiana 5 months ago
I'm looking to get an Xbox One but waiting till kinectless bundle comes out and seeing what offers retailers come up with. I think a lot of places will sell less than £350, and some will sell with a game too.
Spear 25 5 months ago
Though I'm usually Xbox dedicated I'm happy for Sony, they have made such a great machine, I hope I can get a PS4 someday. Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot big time!
SquareSofty 5 months ago
It can only be a good thing for both. Good for Sony as they will get more money. Good for Microsoft as they will have to pull it all the stops to do better.
Zombieflamingo 5 months ago
MS have deep pockets to do better, whereas Sony do not. They had it easy with the Xbox 360 so got too cocky with the Xbox ONE. There is still nothing special for the PS4 yet, it may be the better console, but there is not one game on it or that is coming worth getting it yet. I may never even get a PS4
superniceguy 5 months ago
lol at Tony's butthurt. Guess Titanfall ultimately did nothing for Xbox One hardware sales when all was said and done, and with the new Halo being delayed a year it looks like MS have nothing to move systems coming any time soon. Worth noting as well that PS4 hardware sales for the month have been estimated at being more than double the Xbox One figure. That's with all the price cutting and free game bundling the Xbox One has seen since Titanfall came out as well, bear in mind. The public at large simply know a better choice when it's in front of them it appears.
PrometheusFan 5 months ago
lol at Kevins BS
superniceguy 5 months ago
Which part is BS exactly?
PrometheusFan 5 months ago
Well it's all personal opinion. I will admit I prefer Playstation over xbox due to the fact prefer Sonys exclusives and consoles far more then Microsoft, plus Infamous was well worth buying a PS4 for.
Jokerduo3 5 months ago
Infamous is the only one that interests me, but I still have not gotten around to finishing the first two on PS3 yet, so not worth getting a PS4 until I finish them. If it is more or less the same gam, then it may not be worth getting a PS4 alone as they have not gripped me (but that could be because I have focussed on playing games on Xbox ignoring PS3), or if I do get stuck into it more and totally enjoy and want more then a PS4 may be worth it then. If Drive Club and Watch Dogs was released on PS4 launch day, I would have gotten a PS4 then, but since then Xbox has brought out more games than PS4, that can not be played on any other platform. PS4 is the only console / machine I do not have, so have many machines to play 99.99% of all games out there. Infamous is the 0.01%. Shenmue 3 is one game will make buying any console for, so if that gets released on PS4, then PS4 will be an instant purchase, but currently it is rumoured for Xbox ONE.
superniceguy 5 months ago
I keep forgetting how Tony never keeps the goalposts in one place long enough for you to actually have a proper argument with him.
PrometheusFan 5 months ago
Good for Sony but this will not last much longer. Both systems don't have any killer apps worth owning for yet. That doesn't look set to change this year. Admittedly Wii U is the most appealing console for exclusives right now.
Fresh_1 5 months ago
Actually, there's a fair case to be made that they both do have so-called 'killer-apps' already, but even if they didn't it wouldn't matter. Call of Duty is going to keep them both selling if nothing else, especially now the PS4/XB1 CoD title this year is the primary version(s) of the title, and the PS3/360 game is seemingly going to be a different game(ie. a stripped down one) altogether made by a different developer. It's the big third party titles that drive console sales first and foremost, and PS4 has been establishing itself as the primary stop for those since it came out.
PrometheusFan 5 months ago