Halo 5 : Guardians revealed by Microsoft

You go record a podcast and Microsoft announce the full details of Halo 5, typical.

Anyway, Microsoft has revealed details on Halo 5: Guardians which will be coming to Xbox One next year and will run on a brand new engine at 60 FPS with dedicated servers. A TV series will also be coming out alongside the game, which is interesting.

Here's what Microsoft has to say about it:

Any time you transition to a new platform, there is the opportunity to look at things with a new perspective. For us at 343 Industries, the launch of the Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them, and how best to push the Halo franchise to showcase the platform. And, most importantly, combining our passion for Halo with the vocal and informative input from our fans.

"Halo isn’t simply a perennial game franchise, it’s a part of the Xbox platform itself. In terms of innovation and ideation, it’s sometimes important to people who might not even play Halo. And of course it’s a passion and an essential experience for two generations of gamers. So we asked ourselves, how do we begin and where do we go with Halo on Xbox One?

"In the past, Halo games have pushed the Xbox forward, showcasing the console and its ecosystem in entertaining and innovative ways. Making a Halo game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial. It’s a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the Halo game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One.

"I’m happy to reveal that Halo 5: Guardians, the next installment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief, will launch on Xbox One in fall of 2015. In the tradition of every Halo game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project.

Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4. That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

It’s a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team. A game that will incorporate the things we learned from Halo 4 about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale – and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the Halo universe.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of Halo 5: Guardians, it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the Halo television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business. A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience. We’ll have more to share on the Halo television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

Your Journey Begins in 2014

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that Halo fans will be pretty excited the special plans we have in store.

So until E3, I’d like to express my gratitude to our massive and varied Halo community, whose energy, enthusiasm, criticism and kindness are the driving force behind what we do and what we hope to achieve in Halo 5: Guardians.

Edited On 16 May, 2014

Comments
Does seem a lot of games are getting reveled before E3 this year be good to see some game play soon to see how its shaping up , may be this could be the big game to show case the xbox's power
Dark572Assassin 2 months ago
I have a large Halo collection being games, books, megabloks etc but if this is anything like Halo 4 in terms of gameplay and stupid crap put into the game then this will be a quick legendary finish and trade in.
SquareSofty 2 months ago
I wonder why games are getting revealed before E3. First Farcry 4 now Halo 5 Guardians, wonder if Sony will reveal anything before E3. I agree with DA would be nice to see some game play videos at E3. I find them more useful than cinematic trailers.
Spear 25 2 months ago
Microsoft are still saying a Halo announcement coming at E3? Halo 2 remake? if so I would have thought announce Halo 2 before E3, then Halo 5 at E3? I think there's another twist in here somewhere. Anyway, best news I've had in ages, I love the Halo series, games, books and if their announcing something this big before E3 I can only imagine what announcements are still to come. I is excited :)
Old Timer 2 months ago
Just speculating and trying not to get hyped, it looks like Microsoft have a massive E3 they said its full and are having to cut announcements out. If they are cutting out things like Halo 5 imagine what they left in. Microsoft will never lose a console war they have too much money. Sony show a 1.2billion loss Microsoft spent that on R&D. Really looking forward to every consoles E3. Gunna be a good one guys.
b3ddo3 2 months ago
@ b3ddo3, I agree, I think E3 is going to be very good, looks like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will be going out to try and out do one another which can only mean good things for us the gamers.
Old Timer 2 months ago
I reckon so as well old timer. Looking forward to hearing everything. Wonder who the Spartan is on top.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
@ Zombie, I see talk that it's a female Spartan?
Old Timer 2 months ago
Wow, delayed a year? Ouch... that leaves Xbone with no system selling titles for the holidays this year, and they really need some of those after yesterday's NPD results. Also, lol at the spin to backtrack on the initially announced 2014 release for the game.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
"Microsoft will never lose a console war they have too much money" - They've lost two in a row so far, and the third isn't going any better for them, so I don't see where you're getting this idea from to be honest. The original Xbox sold about the same as the Gamecube, which were both dominated utterly by the PS2, and the Xbox 360 has in the past year been overtaken in sales by the PS3, with both of those outsold by a wide margin by the Wii.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
It was not delayed, there was no official release date / time frame, except they stated that it would not be released before 2015
superniceguy 2 months ago
They said holiday 2014 at E3 2013. They're now saying holiday 2015... sounds like a delay to me!
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
No mention of a release date here: http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/06/10/e3-2013-halo-5-announced-for-xbox-one You must have gotten the info from false info of people taking the release date on Walmart as gospel. http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/04/30/halo-5-for-xbox-one-listed-for-december-release-by-walmart The only OFFICIAL statement was from the voice of Master Chief saying it would not be released in 2014. http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/02/13/breaking-voice-of-master-chief-confirms-halo-2-anniversary-says-halo-5-won-t-release-this-year
superniceguy 2 months ago
Xbox has a lot of exclusives coming this year, while they may not have Halo, they still have sunset overdrive, D4, Quantum Break and other unannounced titles, its going to be a good year. Even better news that 2015 is going to be even better. I am sure we are all in it for the long run. How much is Sony winning AMD is making more profit from the PS4 than Sony. WiiU is making a nice profit too. Looking to get one maybe around Christmas, how is WiiU online?
b3ddo3 2 months ago
"Xbox has a lot of exclusives coming this year, while they may not have Halo, they still have sunset overdrive, D4, Quantum Break and other unannounced titles," - Quantum Break isn't this year. D4 has never gotten a release window, and no one is going to buy a console to play untested IPs from mid tier developers besides. And how do you know there are other 'unannounced titles' releasing this year at all? Let alone "a lot" of them?. "How much is Sony winning AMD is making more profit from the PS4 than Sony." - Haha, really now? Last I heard Sony were the only ones who weren't selling their new console at a loss. Care to provide a source for this information? I won't hold my breath. "WiiU is making a nice profit too." - The Wii U has been wiping out Nintendo's 3DS profits from the moment it came out, hence why they've been reporting losses for quite a while now.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
Wii U was never making much of a loss from the start, as it was making profit with just one game sold with it, and is making a profit without software as of last month.
Gloria 2 months ago
superniceguy 2 months ago
Im Going Space 2 months ago
''Zombi U >Killzone/Knack/Infamous'' That is the biggest BS that I have ever heard. It's obvious that you're a massive MS fanboy. If the Xbox one is so great and has all these amazing exclusives, why is the PS4 outselling it? I don't like getting involved in console arguments, because they both have good exclusives. Personally I have a PS4 but I don't go around saying Xbox One has no games or exclusive games.
Spear 25 2 months ago
" I am looking forward to Sunset Overdrive, D4, and Quantum Break too. Here is the games I am looking forward to on PS4 - . Even the Wii U had more better choice at launch than PS4. Zombi U > Killzone / Knack / Infamous " - The truly sad part of this post is that it's coming from someone who has openly admitted having zero first hand experience with a PS4... making this pretty much the worst kind of bottom of the barrell zeal you can get imo. "cant wait. lets be honest, sony hasnt got a leg to stand on with delays *cough* Driveclub *cough* " - Bu-bu-but Sony!!! ... have nothing to do with anything regarding this story.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
PS4 is only selling more because it is / was cheaper and had better specs, and people buying it for the long term, and the PS4 may end up being the best in the long term, but for now the Xbox ONE has the better / more exclusives.     I do not know the PS4 but I know the games. I have played Killzone on PS2 and did not like that gameplay, and if I thought Infamous 1 and 2 on PS3 were so great I would have played them, instead of leaving them to gather dust.
superniceguy 2 months ago
So you haven't played a Killzone game since the first one, despite the fact the first is nothing like any other game in the series and you haven't actually played an Infamous game at all? Thanks for compounding my point further Tony, you are basing your opinions on these things on nothing more than your own blinkered zeal. I look forward to seeing what your excuse for the PS4 selling better than the Xbox One will become when they are both the same price also.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
^ Once again folks it's all matter of opinion when it comes to games. My best mate, couldn't pay him to play Xbox One, it just hasn't got the games that interest him. Myself, my PS4 is gathering dust, I hold onto it for games like Uncharted, Drive Club, it's all down to personal preference, it doesn't make one better overall. As for the "Console Wars", is it really a war? lol. In a year or 2 from now Sony could be even further ahead, Microsoft could catch up and overtake! I remember the shocking start the PS3 had and look how Sony turned it around, took some time but it did. End of the day though, does anyone seriously care? Do PS4 gamers enjoy the PS4 knowing it's sold more? Do XB1 owners enjoy it any less because it's sold less? And looking at some of the above comments, "this will happen" .. "That won't happen" .. you folks must tell me where you got your crystal balls ;)
Old Timer 2 months ago
I would not get Killzone even if it was on Xbox. I don't even like Titanfall but fortunately there is so many other games I do like
superniceguy 2 months ago
I know the article on OXM said there's still something for Halo fans coming in 2014, it's not the TV series, that's been confirmed for 2015 by Microsoft. I don't think it's just Halo 2, if it was, why not announce that today and Halo 5 at E3? I'm going with what a few sites are saying now, they will release Halo 1, 2 , 3 and 4 for Xbox One in one package. A report on OXM recently said 343 had been hard at work for a long time on something big that wasn't Halo 5. Maybe I shouldn't get excited at my age about games but anything Halo and I can't help it, I'm seriously hyped :)
Old Timer 2 months ago
Can we not get into one of these silly arguments all the time. A Halo collection would be nice though it should include ODST and Reach as well.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
It's just a HD up-port of Halo 2 going by all accounts. They aren't going to give anyone 4+ games in a single package. The reason MS have been making all these announcements this week rather than at E3 is because NPD sales figures came out this week, and Xbox One sales are in very real decline, so it's panic stations time. They need to remind people about the big name titles that are coming and a Halo 2 port isn't going to have nearly as much weight as a proper Halo sequel announcement... regardless of how far from release it is.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
sweet jesus an ODST remake would look the bees knees, plus them destiny teasers ;P
Im Going Space 2 months ago
I dont know if it was a proper Halo 2 remake and not just an HD update I reckon it would sell really well granted not as much as 5 though I still reckon there would be a lot of people that would buy it just for it and if they bundle in Halo 5 beta as well thats some more added sales. Look how well the original crackdown done with the Halo 3 beta added.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
@ Zombie, Reach and ODST, that would be the cherry on top of the already lovely cake :) I've never been a fan of Halo MP, it's all about the story and co-op for me but I know we have to wait until 2015 for Halo 5 but if they announce just one of the Halo titles for Xbox One in 2014 I'm not going to complain :)
Old Timer 2 months ago
I enjoyed the firefight mode in Reach it a shame it didnt come to 4. I didnt enjoy the enemies in 4 they were just pretty bland and giving them the ability to teleport to anywhere on the map was just cheap.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
Looking forward to another great game :)
Ryan 2 months ago
@Zombieflamingo I totally agree, I found 4 hard to play because of how dull they are and sold it soon after release. It's a shame 5 and 6 will have the same enemies, plus firefight was my favorite game mode.
SquareSofty 2 months ago
Seeing this posted on a few sites this morning, ( Hope it turns out to be true ) ... 'Halo: The Master Chief Collection' coming to Xbox One this year, collects 'Halos 1-4' http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/16/halo-the-master-chief-collection/
Old Timer 2 months ago
Not to sure on the title, rather just be Halo 5 but im still excited about it :D cant wait and Halo: master chief collection better be true.
ADAM 2 months ago
I really hope this keeps, the 4 player campaign mode, 4 player online coop. So many games forget about Coop and especially couch coop. Im interested to see what E3 will tell us about the game.
juvan1le 2 months ago
Yeah I cant imagine that they will take away the 4 player co-op wether or not it is couch co-op is another matter.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
Its been reported on CVG that there is a halo trilogy coming to xbox 1 before the new game with all the past games in one bundle so players can catch up with the story sound like a good idea
Dark572Assassin 2 months ago
I haven't been bothered with Halo since Halo 3, although this might be something different seeing as how the main character at the top looks to be a girl spartan.
Light Heaven 2 months ago
" They aren't going to give anyone 4+ games in a single package. " Really kevin? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464034/halos-1-4-bound-for-xbox-one-in-halo-the-master-chief-collection-report/
Gloria 2 months ago
Tbh if that collection is released on the Xbone then I would have to get one
Loli-Nox-Tan 2 months ago
Kevin= fag
JoeToots 2 months ago
Makes sense if it is the Master Chief collection why it does not have ODST and Reach which is a shame as then there will probably be no firefight.
Zombieflamingo 2 months ago
Who's KEVIN ? because my name is not kevin unless it got changed by d -pole in the night hahaha lol
Dark572Assassin 2 months ago
And i missed the comment already made above me , plus i did not say four games i said trilogy (3) and its only people talking its not even been confirmed yet
Dark572Assassin 2 months ago
kevin is the sites top PS fanboy, and second biggest dick after Anthony.
Gloria 2 months ago
"Really kevin? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464034/halos-1-4-bound-for-xbox-one-in-halo-the-master-chief-collection-report/ " - I'd wait and see what such a package might actually contain if it ends up being real. I still don't believe for a second MS will release a pack of four full games with all accompanying features and online functions intact. If I end up being wrong though, so be it, I'll cop to being wrong gladly and eat every bit of crow going... as opposed to doing something like running away and not responding again once I get proven wrong. Because doing such a thing as that would just be childish, wouldn't it Gloria?
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
" Tbh if that collection is released on the Xbone then I would have to get one" - Oh? So "ports" are now a good reason to buy a new console are they?
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
"Kevin= fag" - Pathetic.
PrometheusFan 2 months ago
No but updated versions of games from my childhood are
Loli-Nox-Tan 2 months ago
Cannot wait for a Halo game on my X1, i'd love it if Halo 2 does get a remake this year as its the only one i've never played. I think its gonna be a great year to be a gamer. And PrometheusFan, you seem like a proper Sony fanboy, why dont you go over to ign, you'll fit right in there.
SolidSnake 187 2 months ago