Nintendo hoping Mario Kart 8 can boost Wii U sales

Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager, Roger Langford has said the company hopes Mario Kart 8 will be the title to spark Wii U sales.

Speaking in an interview with MCV, Langford said, “Mario Kart 8 really harnesses the capability of Wii U. It has HD graphics and runs at 60 frames per second constantly in single and multiplayer.

“I certainly feel that Mario Kart 8 can be the catalyst that will broaden Wii U’s horizons,” said Langford. “It’s very important for us that we have a successful launch and continue the promotion throughout the year and beyond.”

Indeed with great reviews and an offer that gives users a free game from a pretty decent list, Mario Kart 8 will surely make some sort of impact.

“That offer lends itself perfectly to those people looking to buy into Wii U,” Langford said.

“You pick up the Mario Kart 8 bundle, and you can also download Wii Party U or Nintendo Land if you’re getting it for the family, or if you’re a Mario fan you can get New Super Mario Bros U. We also cater for more core gamers, as well, with Monster Hunter 3 and The Wonderful 101. We are offering that variety because Mario Kart 8 does attract such a broad demographic.”

Do you think that Mario Kart 8 can save the Wii U?

Edited On 21 May, 2014

Comments
It will, been reading the comments on some reviews of the game and loads of people have been snapping up bundles, HMV was having a clearance selling Wind Waker and Lego City bundles for £149, and Tesco is doing a MK8 bundle for £199.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
with the reviews it got i am sure there will be many more sales off this now, if i was looking to get a Wii U then i would be looking for a good priced bundle with the game
Go Tesco, £199 when you use the promo code on the page. http://www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/nintendo-wii-u-consoles/cat16100054.cat?catId=4294863703
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I think it can save the WiiU and I really hope it does. The more players online the better and hopefully no overly hacked muliplayer races this time. MK Wii was insane online.
The Wifi connection was a throwaway attempt by Nintendo
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Hopefully it can save the Wii U. I've seen a lot of retailers doing deals on Wii U recently so the install base should have increased quite a bit over the last month. Not long left now, got my copy on pre order.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Heres hoping as it does look fun, between this and Smash Bros at the end of the year it should be quite good for Nintendo.
Going to be a lot more than this by the end of the year, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 and X at the very least too.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I hope so for X though if it was this year I thought we would have heard more about it. Hyrule Warriors I will probably pick up because I like the Dynasty Warriors games but I am not too fussed about Bayonetta.
I have still do play Bayo 1 even though I have owned it for a least 2 years
I'm just hoping some of the E3 rumours hold some water, new Starfox and F-Zero would be awesome.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I've been hoping for a Starfox and F-Zero too.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I just want Mother 3 in english.....
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
i loved playing star fox and f-zero on the snes in my childhood
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
It's nice to want things, but I wonder how much good a new Mario Kart can realistically do for a console doing as poorly as the Wii U when new entries in Nintendo's biggest franchises have already failed to generate interest in it. I don't doubt there will be short term gains for the Wii U with MK8's release, but how short term those will be is the question.
Mario Kart has the most mass appeal out of every IP Ninty have & they keep selling for years on end. Tbh Mario Kart will give the Wii U a little boost but unless they can get places the Asda to stock the console/games in-store then I really don't see it helping much in the long-run
Rob 3 years ago
ordered the MK8 bundle myself but have to agree with Loli, we will see a slight increase in sales but its still not going help it, especially as has been mentioned a lot of places aren't stocking the wii u anymore
Getting the Supermarkets to stock the console is a must.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
MK8 will defiantly help console & game sales that's certain.
PhilyB's avatar
PhilyB 3 years ago
im sure this will have a significant impact and with E3 coming up, its sure to generate a lot of interest in the system.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Existing WiiU owners will probably buy this game, but it will not going to sell consoles at any increased rate. There are Zelda fans, Mario fans, Metroid, DK fans and so on. But thinking that people who haven't yet found a reason to buy WiiU will go out and buy it for a carting game is just crazy...
Mario Kart is not just any karting game though, and it will sell consoles, you'd have to be crazy to think otherwise.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
It will absolutely boost hardware sales for the Wii U when it comes out, the only questions are by how much and for how long? Mario 3D World boosted Wii U sales for example, but only for a few weeks and not by an overly huge margin. Can Mario Kart 8 do better? We'll soon see.
SUKHVINDER 3 years ago
I looked at ebay site and lot of sellers have been selling this game and about 80+ orders have been done and few console bundle have been sold, it's selling reasonably well and lot of good sales are at Game store, so looking at all this it will have hardware sales boost and people who own a console already lot of game packages will be sold. This is just start, as more games will come on wiiu, easily this console will become no,1, just like the original console.