UK Charts: Watch Dogs breaks week one sales records

Watch Dogs is this week's new number one and has broken week-one sales record for a new IP in the process.

UKIE revealed that Ubisoft’s new release has broken the record previously set by Rockstar’s L.A. Noire, making it the 17th best launch release in the UK to-date.

Unsurprisingly Watch Dogs sold most on PS4 and out of all new PS4's last week, the Watch Dogs bundle accounted for 53% of sales.

Mario Kart 8 launched at number two, giving Wii U hardware a boost of 666% in the process.

UK All Format Charts, w/e May 31

10. The LEGO Movie Videogame

So what do you think?

Edited On 02 Jun, 2014

Comments
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
Well done to watch dogs a great game , its also good the wii u has gotten a boost from sales of mario cart another great game
Christian 3 years ago
666 eh, maybe Mr. Iwata sanctioned a deal :)
I'm sure when broken down by platform MK8 is number one.
Turak64's avatar
Turak64 3 years ago
Surprised Nintendo didn't try to release MK8 in a week where it wasn't going up against something as big as Watch_Dogs. I'm sure a chart topping game would have done wonders for the PR. But once again, they should how they don't look at the industry as a whole. I've got both games and I can say that MK8 is far more impressive. WD is ok, but it really isn't as good as I wanted it to be. It's just a massive distraction! Keeps trying to get you to do a million side missions.
Nintendo set the release date for MK8 before Ubisoft set the release date for Watch Dogs, which was probably set for then just to knock MK8 off the top.
Bisylizzie's avatar
Bisylizzie 3 years ago
@Gloria Actually, I've seen the individual format chart and Watch Dogs takes positions 1, 2, 4 and 5 - With Mario Kart in second. (http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032, for those interested) Found it interesting that both the Minecrafts actually show as separate rankings, wonder if together they might end up being the ones at the top of the chart?
Shame they don't have figures, there can't have been a lot in it.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Well deserved watch dogs is a fantastic game and as expected MK8 is up there too. Haven't got much a chance to play Mk8 yet, will sink a few hours into it this week.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Mariokart was a flop.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Sorry Gloria, but Watch Dogs on PS4 outsold Mario Kart by a pretty comfortable margin by all accounts. I did warn you about being too emotionally invested in seeing Mario Kart at number one.
I really don't care, it's the better game, that's what really matters.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
What day do the sales get counted?
Sunday I imagine
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"I really don't care" - Certainly not the impression I got from your posts on the matter last week and earlier. "it's the better game, that's what really matters." - Have you even played Watch Dogs?
The two are completely different games & it isn't fair to compare them.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
I agree.
Personally I am getting sick of Open World games so Mario Kart is the better choice for me but some people just don't like Kart games (or Nintendo, TeHe)
You're projecting again kevin, end of the day, all factors taken in to account, number of platforms, time on sale, MK8 outsold Watch Dogs.
I think the correct way to say it is, Mario Kart 8 WILL sell more than Watch Dogs (& most games this gen)
That goes without saying.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
I'd like to see some proof of Mario Kart outselling Watchdogs on PS4. All information so far seems to confirm that WD PS4 sold more copies than Mario Kart. If anyone can illustrate otherwise, I'd be happy to read about it. "Mario Kart 8 WILL sell more than Watch Dogs (& most games this gen)" - Funny, I read this exact thing last Autumn when Mario 3D World came out, but it has ultimately proven to have poor staying power on the sales front... most especially compared to it's predecessors, which had exceptional legs in the charts as I recall. Shouldn't assume what may have been true in past generations will be true this one... not with the state Nintendo's hardware is currently in if nothing else.
Correction: If the Supermarkets start stocking Wii U games again then Mario Kart 8 will sell more than Watch Dogs (& most games this gen) Happy?
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Stores are terrible for selling Wii U games, nowadays. Same is true for consoles and bar release days, and probably Christmas period, few stores seem to actually stock consoles. In my quest (and it was a quest) for a Wii U I visited many stores in my city and only one place stocked *any* consoles (a new Tesco). Never thought I'd actually complain about having to buy stuff online before as that's where I do most of my shopping nowadays; and it seems gamers do the same.
Watchdogs on PS4 sold a bit more than MK8 in double the time, for it to be selling more it would have to be selling double the amount. Easy enough for you to understand kevin? If Nintendo used dirty tricks like releasing earlier in the week to boost sales for launch week the way Ubisoft (and others) do then comparing total figures would be fair, but they didn't.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 3 years ago
Nintendo are essentially gifting a free game along with Mario Kart 8 (register it online and get a free game download). The games available to download include some of the best games on the WiiU, that alone would trigger a massive sales boost for any new release, let alone one as anticipated as Mario Kart. Does that count as a 'dirty trick' to boost sales as well?
No, because it benefits the consumer.
& Ninty do stuff like this all the time
They do, I've lost track of the number of free games I've got from Nintendo, can't remember Ubisoft ever giving away freebies.
Free DLC ........ if you game on a Sony platform
Nothing to write home about.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"No, because it benefits the consumer. " - As does a worldwide launch rather than making Europe wait 3 extra days for no apparent reason (Though the suggestion that Nintendo's motivation was consumer benevolence rather than driving Mario Kart sales is truly hilarious). Also, can I see a link to the numbers showing WD PS4 only sold "a bit" more than Mario Kart? "can't remember Ubisoft ever giving away freebies." - I got a free download of the original Prince of Persia's remake with Forgotten Sands, my copy of AC Revelations has a free copy of AC 1 on the disc and my copy of Ghost Recon Future Soldier has a free copy of GRAW 2 on the disc, so it seems it isn't something Ubisoft are averse to on occasion.
Games you can pick up for £1-£2. Just sayin
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Well... I never claimed it was a great deal.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
One thing I have noticed is there seems to be a lot of copies on ebay for mario kart seems a lot of people have bought it just for the free game. which seems a bit odd to me
Really? I'm seeing more of the codes for the free games than used Mario Kart's. Most of them are new