Mario Kart shifts 1.2 million units on its opening weekend

Mario Kart 8 sales have reached 1.2 million units over the game's first weekend on sale.

This makes the title the fastest-selling Wii U game to date. We also know that on Monday, Chart Track revealed the game helped boost weekly Wii U sales by 666 per cent.

We should find out how well it helped Wii U in Japan when Media Create sales release tomorrow.

"The early response to Mario Kart 8 demonstrates that the best days for Wii U are still ahead," said Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. "This year's E3 is just days away, and it will be all about the future games for Nintendo platforms. This milestone is a great place to start."

As of March 31 2014, the previous games in the series have sold a combined total of over 100 million units worldwide:

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - 8.76 million
Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 9.87 million
Mario Kart Advance (GBA) - 5.91 million
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GameCube) - 6.88 million
Mario Kart DS (DS) - 23.56 million
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 35.53 million
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - 9.62 million
Total: 100.13 million

"This is Nintendo serving up unprecedented helpings of joy as only it can," we said in our Mario Kart 8 review. "Each and every track is a delight to experience," it reads, and "the master of karting is a real looker to boot."

Do you think the Wii U can still deliver the good?

Edited On 03 Jun, 2014

Comments
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Good for Nintendo. They should pat themselves on the back coz it's such an great and fun game to play, i just hope they do dlc with colour palettes for the characters, karts & bikes since it would be nice have matching vehicle & character themes. And also not see the same colours online when people choose the same character as you know. Other than that im really happy with mario kart 8.
Cool, hopefully this is the start of the Wii U's comeback, a really strong E3 with plenty of new games and actual release dates will help turn things around too.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
That's a lot more than I would have guessed it'd do, so good for them, they really needed a win on the Wii U front. It'll take a lot more than one game to turn things around for a console in as bad a shape as the Wii U currently is though, and Nintendo have nothing else forthcoming that has historically had anything close to the selling power of Mario Kart.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
All they need now is a new Zelda and a release date for Smash Bros.
And both of those will be announced at E3.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Nintendo need to just give you a job Gloria! ;)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I just hope Zelda gets a really close date, don't want to wait a year or so for it.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
It didn't take long to finish MK8, I unlocked all characters, tracks and mirror cup on the Thursday I got it. Only a couple of kart parts to get.. The sad thing is that they have taken some features away that made MK7 my favorite and the balancing online is so incredibly screwed up. I'm a huge MK fan but I'm not sure if I want to continue playing this one as it feels insanely broken :(
If feels fine to me, granted i'm in the top 5 most of the time
Add my Ninty ID Softy
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
Cool, the game 'feels' fine but it's the things like weapon balancing that has changed a lot. I'm usually in the top 5 too but it still bothers me. like someone in third could only recieve a coin while first can get shells or a mushroom. And for the people at the back I feel really bad for them coz all you really get are red shells so it's a constant attacking zone where you can't progress to the front. If you're lucky to get a star, it no longer gives much of a boost, it's just a defense weapon now. Gold mushroom and bullet bill are now very slow and with triple bananas, you can't hang them behind you anymore.. It is now a game of pure speed and luck rather than skill and strategy.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
you might like this http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/02/luigi-total-jerk-new-mario-kart
If I'm at the back of the pack most of the time I can get into the top 3 without using an item
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
Then you've been doing very well. I drift everywhere and close to the inner turning and I just can't get past anyone without a weapon. Maybe my set up is far too slow.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
Haha Zombie that was funny. Damn he is evil
I use the Yoshi bike with the toy wheels (I think)
Whoever thought of putting coins in item boxes needs shooting.
I found having low grip makes it a lot easier
I call that the Yoshicycle, not keen on it personally, or the bikes in general, the steering is a bit too tight for my liking.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I usually use bikes too, they were great when manual drive was available. I'm going to keep practicing different styles in time trial mode for a bit and hopefully find something I can keep. I'll miss not using Yoshi
Michael 3 years ago
Do shopto just copy and paste stuff from computerandvideogames.com? Anyway brilliant game and i am glad nintendo are shifting more wii u consoles, the free game was a nice touch too nintendo, thanks for sonic and mario at the olympic games (already had the other free titles on offer).
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Looking forward to receiving Mario Kart 8 to give it a whirl, but seeing as my Wii U order is still processing, I'll just have to stare at the box and imagine playing the game. Or, erm, play my Gamecube version.