Watch Dogs sells through 4 million copies

Ubisoft has announced ongoing record sales for Watch Dogs, which has sold-through more than 4 million copies in its first week, positioning it as the best-selling new IP at launch across the video game industry. Having already broken sales records in the first 24 hours following its release, Watch Dogs is now the company’s best-selling game ever in week one.

“The results we achieved in the first week of launch are amazing and prove Ubisoft’s commitment to developing new blockbuster IP and thoroughly new-gen experiences,” said Darren Bowen, UK Sales Director.

The launch of Watch Dogs on consoles and PC was accompanied by the release of a free companion app, ctOS Mobile. The app allows gamers to connect with the Watch Dogs universe from anywhere, at any time, and is designed to enable dual-screen gameplay, or even to be enjoyed as a standalone experience without the main game. ctOS Mobile has already been downloaded and played more than one million people. Watch Dogs will also be released on the Wii U system from Nintendo in Autumn 2014.

Edited On 03 Jun, 2014

Comments
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I'm not surprised considering how much they spent promoting the game. It was drilled into peoples heads. I've played it once so far and can't be bothered to play any more just yet
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Well deserved, it's a superb game. Really like the multiplayer elements. Interesting to note that the PS4 version has seemingly been accounting for almost half of all copies sold so far based on EU numbers (Which are usually a good indicator). That's pretty amazing for numerous reasons.
Not bad for a generic cookie cutter game.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
it is a fun game but only if played in small bursts, ive got shit loads of relaxation time after my op but find myself turning it off after a short while, just a little repetitive, but fun nonetheless
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
52 quid too, feel a little robbed but hey
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
You actually played it Gloria? Or is this still bitterness at it outselling Mario Kart?
Don't need to play it to see it's another by the numbers effort from Ubisoft, thanks to all their overhyping.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I've bought this on 360, ONE, PC and soon PS4. No point getting PS3 version now. I bought the Season Pass on 360 thinking it would be viable on Xbox ONE too, but appears not unless it is a glitch, as otherwise makes their Season Pass guarantee pointless. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/xbox-one-season-pass-guarantee-lets-dlc-span-generations With the cost of the game being the most expensive so far, they are certainly raking it in, and if have to buy Season pass twice then even more, but perhaps they may make it possible, especially now it has sold so well. I do not want to buy the pass again, and without it do not want to play the Xbox ONE version without the pass. I do not mind playing the 360 version without the pass. Until MS deal with my query I do not feel like playing either Xbox game.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Why would you buy the same game four times?
Why would anyone? More money than sense is the only answer I can think of.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
If they were "connected" I could see the sense in maybe two copies (one for a home console and one for a portable console), but four for machines potentially hooked up to the same TV....
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Mainly because friends are divided acros various platforms, plus this is an awesome game, plus Ubisoft are never giving full content on one or even two versions. The PS4 has exlusive content, the season pass has exclusive content, the dedsec edition has exclusive content. If you want all the content you need to buy them all. I got the PC dedsec edition for £60.99 and Xbox 360 standard for £35 when Amazon had them cheap, and both together were cheaper than the Dedsec 360 version on shopto. If I knew the pass would not carry over or that I would win the PS4 I may not have gotten the Xbox ONE version. If the Wii U does have the better gameplay then I will probably get that too, unless I am bored of it by then.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I think Gloria hit the nail on the head :/
Yep, spending that kind off money for a few bits of DLC is just stupid.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Now we know why companies dont give us full games anymore as there are people will spend crazy amounts on DLC.
I imagine people like that have so much money because they won compensation for getting brain damage in an accident.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
far from cookie cutter really. its a good game, and i have thoroughly enjoyed it. theres so many places they could go with it, especially seeing as though its set in the same game universe as assassins creed
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
Well deserved. I was a bit skeptical and first but after playing it I really enjoy, think it's a great game. Lots of stuff to do to keep you occupied with side missions, investigations and stopping crime etc.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I thought it was a good game, it had some great ideas but overall it wasn't the title ( for me anyway ) that it was hyped up to be. Good story and some fun side missions etc, the MP I found as boring as hell after a while, certainly won't be paying for any seasons passes/DLC. No doubt in the coming months it will be leaked that Watch Dogs 2 is coming, will anyone be surprised? about as surprised when then also announce Watch Dogs 3, 4 .. .. ..
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
only an idiot buys a game on all platforms to be honest
I bought Dark Souls for both consoles
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
2 consoles is not all, ive got a few on ps3 and 360 but four is like Gloria said more money than sense
I've bought a few games twice, when there's been differences and released at a later date, but four versions of the same game at the same time, you'd have to be a complete imbecile.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I've bought FF7 a number of times. A few times for PS1 due to breakage of discs (it was heavily abused), then digitally for my PSP (as well as FF8), then digitally for the PC so I could apply a HD mod. Otherwise, I've never cross consoles bought a game before
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I had COD Ghosts first on XB1, when I purchased my PS4 the only one they had was with COD Ghosts bundle but I certainly struggle with the idea of buying the same game on 4 different platforms? Well not my money lol
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
I understand if you buy 2 versions of a game, perhaps you have friends who have either PS4 and some have Xbox One or PS3 and 360. but to buy 4 versions of the same game is a bit stupid.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
The way I see it the 360 + PC version was 2 versions for the price of one with the price I paid for them, with intent to sell the 360 version after I played it and the xbox ONE was the 2nd purchase. If I knew about the season pass not crossing over or if I won the PS4 I probably would not have gotten the Xbox ONE version and just got PS4. I still have yet to get the PS4 version so may not until it is in the sales and then sell it or may rent it. Seriously you guys like bashing me to bits at any opportunity don't ya! The Xbox ONE and PC versions will be the ones I will be keeping. The 360 and PS4 versions will be sold for the Wii U version, and will only get the Wii U version if I am not bored of it. I could not decide which one to get, it was all or nothing.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I also sacrificed Wolfenstein and other games to get them, that can wait as it is a single player game.