Japanese Charts, May 26 - Jun 1: Mario Kart 8 fails to ignite Wii U sales in Japan

This week's Media Create Japanese charts are in and it's not looking that great for Wii U, which only managed to sell just under 20,000 units despite the release of its biggest game of the year.

Mario Kart 8 itself did pretty well, selling 325,892 units, it's just that it probably didn't boost the Wii U as much as expected.

Things aren't exactly looking much better for the PS4, which only managed to sell 6508 units, being pipped slightly by PS3, which sold 6922 units.

Console sales are not looking too great in Japan then. At least PS Vita and 3DS are doing ok for now.

Japanese Software Charts (May 26 - Jun 1)

01./00. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 325.892 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories # (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.05.29} (¥8.208) - 82.048 / NEW
03./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 36.868 / 1.020.877 (+9%)
04./00. [PSV] Chou Megami Shinkou Noire: Gekishin Black Heart # (Compile Heart) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344) - 28.397 / NEW
05./01. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥8.208) - 27.406 / 63.062 (-23%)
06./00. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119) - 12.265 / 29.028
07./02. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.05.22} (¥7.452) - 8.622 / 43.423 (-75%)
08./06. [PS3] The Idolmaster: One for All # (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.05.15} (¥8.208) - 6.910 / 102.793 (-45%)
09./00. [PS3] Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! (Arc System Works) {2014.05.29} (¥7.344) - 6.273 / NEW
10./11. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800) - 6.064 / 383.989 (-10%)
11./00. [PSP] Heart no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Twin World # (QuinRose) {2014.05.29} (¥6.480) - 5.920 / NEW
12./00. [PSV] Nobunaga's Ambition: Creation (Koei Tecmo) {2014.05.29} (¥8.424) - 5.648 / NEW
13./10. [3DS] Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo) {2014.05.01} (¥4.937) - 5.388 / 98.666 (-24%)
14./07. [PSV] Genkai Totsuki Moero Chronicle # (Compile Heart) {2014.05.15} (¥7.344) - 5.160 / 47.609 (-46%)
15./12. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 4.960 / 4.073.915 (-10%)
16./09. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥3.067) - 4.552 / 11.798 (-37%)
17./16. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 4.406 / 2.326.944 (+11%)
18./04. [PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - Battle Ecstasy # (FuRyu) {2014.05.22} (¥7.538) - 3.963 / 26.289 (-82%)
19./08. [PSV] Amnesia World # (Idea Factory) {2014.05.22} (¥6.264) - 3.898 / 12.548 (-55%)
20./15. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 3.858 / 592.422 (-5%)

Japanese Hardware Charts (May 26 - Jun 1)

3DS - 23.733
WIU - 19.312
PSV - 13.957
PS3 - 6.922
PS4 - 6.508
PSP - 1.421
360 - 225

Edited On 04 Jun, 2014

Comments
Wii U sales have more than doubled, that's not too bad considering how depressed the market is over there right now, plus it's the second week running Nintendo have had the best selling console and handheld.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Jesus... I know the industry is completely effed in Japan, but Mario Kart is one of the biggest franchises made there, and the single biggest card Nintendo had to play. Basically if it can't save the Wii U, nothing can at this point... though those are pitifully low numbers across the board, even the 3DS numbers compared to previous years are just... ugh. And to think lowballing estimates were putting Wii U hardware at 30k minimum for the week.
The single biggest card is Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash are big but not that big
Am I shocked the Wii U didn't do a bit better? I am
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Not sure where that idea comes from. There were two Zelda games on the Wii and Mario Kart Wii alone outsold combined sales of both by a huge margin. Zelda games do sell well, but nowhere near the same level as the 'main' Mario games.
Oh and make a comment about the PS4 only selling 6.508 units while you are here. Don't give Ninty all the attention, it isn't fair to play favorites
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
But I was saying the PS4 was going to sell like ass in Japan long before it ever launched as you'll recall. I was of the opinion Sony were probably wasting their stock launching there and I was right it appears. Not really a lot to add to that. Wii U is the console that's seen the release of the single biggest title that's probably ever going to launch on it this week, so it stands to reason that's going to be the bigger talking point here. "Cos the Wii sold the the average joe's and the Wii U really only seems to be selling to the most dedicated of gamers" - ? I'm not sure I understand exactly what this means in the context of what I said.
Look on the bright side, the Vita is selling more than PS3 and PS4 combined.
Zelda is more of a "Hardcore" title than Mario Kart is, so it only stands to reason that Mario Kart sold more since the average joe's love it
Look at the difference in sales between Mario Kart Wii/DS and the rest of the series
Just noticed, no watch dogs, thought it was a worldwide release, or did it just tank over there?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Yes, I know Mario Kart Wii/DS sales were anomalously high compared to the rest of the series (Most likely because they arrived when Nintendo were at their peak of popularity, but I digress...), but even taking that into account, the Mario Kart series has always been a much higher selling series than the Zelda games on every Nintendo console they both released on. It's definitely the bigger series.
Chrissay's avatar
Chrissay 3 years ago
Bought myself a wii u console today for the Mario kart 8 game for me and the kids (and another Mario game) and ive enjoyed the little time I've been on them. Surprised that things are not going very well in Japan as gaming has always been successful over there I think
Ok, I give you that but Zelda is associated more with "Hardcore" gamers then Mario Kart is
Hell I didn't really like Mario Kart before MK8, and I only got it cos of the limited edition/free game
Tbh if the game never had a good limited edition or a free game I would not have even entertained the thought of buying it
but it is a fantastic game and I urge everyone to at least find some way to try it & if you don't want to, then your loss
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I like MK8 but I do prefer 7.. It is a shame that the WiiU didn't sell as much as wanted and it shows how many people are getting tired of Mario. I paid for MK8 well before the promotion was even announced so I got real lucky with the free game.
I think 80(something)% of the Mario Kart 8 sales were from the Bundle so there is interest. Better marketing and getting the Supermarkets to stock Wii U games is critical.
Vix_Chan's avatar
Vix_Chan 3 years ago
Do they not have Xbox One in Japan? Because if they do then that console did really bad...
It hasn't launched in Japan yet
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
The game has number 8 in it's name ffs, what would you expect? There's nothing special about it. Eights time of the same carting shit - who cares?
Nothing special about it? Pfft, you know nothing.
I think it says wonders that the only Mario Kart is even remotely liked before MK8 was Double Dash & even I love MK8
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Original Mario Kart Snes is still my fav out of the one's I've tried.... narrow tight tracks with hairpins and chicanes that take serious skill to negotiate at full speed on 150cc and no ridiculous over the top power ups that ruin the race(blue shell). Spent hundreds of hours playing that game with friends and it had a real sense of speed compared to the last few iterations. They should've put an 8 player online version of it on MK8 as an easter egg
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
You're right, there's nothing to know...