Forza Horizon 2 confirmed to run at 1080p/30FPS

We really couldn't care less that Forza Horizon 2 runs at 1080p with 30 frames per second, which is probably why we've held off on writing this story. But some might we guess.

Apparently 1080p is the standard to aim for when it comes to next generation hardware, although that frame rate still doesn't seem to be up there at the maximum mark.

It's confirmed now that both DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2 will run at 1080p/30 FPS, which means that the only comparison to be made is that of Project Cars, which last we heard will run at the full wack of 1080p/60FPS.

Must do better, eh Microsoft/Sony?

Anyway, whether you can or not, Ralph Fulton of PlayGround Games seems pretty chuffed with what they have achieved on Xbox One so far.

"I think what we did on Horizon was demonstrate that, and this is really important, a locked frame rate that's absolutely solid and never drops is the most important thing for our game," Fulton told IGN.

"I think I remember that's always a hot-button topic, until a game comes out and people go, 'Oh, this actually really works'. But 1080p was an absolute must for us, it's the benchmark for next-gen.

"The biggest difference is that, obviously, we're an open-world streaming game," Fulton said when asked, why only 30FPS. "We need to be able to drive in any direction at up to 270 miles an hour, if you're gonna soup up a Veyron or something like that.

"So one of the big technical challenges that we had to face was making sure that we could stream in a world that is next-gen beautiful, but fast enough to keep up with the fastest car. That's a huge tech challenge but it's one that our guys just eat up."

Forza Horizon 2 comes later this year. As does DriveClub and the highly anticipated Project Cars.

Edited On 05 Jun, 2014

Comments
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
So long as It plays well and has something to aim for in game then I'm not bothered if it's 1080p or 30fps, they are just added bonuses but not what I would instantly expect.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Well well, looks like my speculation from a couple of days ago was bang on the money after all. Will be enjoying the goalpost moving and damage control from certain quarters over this I suspect. Oh, and that's some nice "Sony too!" deflection at the top of the article Joe. Where were those dismissals of complaints about 30fps in similar Driveclub articles I wonder?
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I still don't get why Resolutions and FPS are grabbing the headlines lately? It wasn't like this on the 360/PS3 was it? Recently people went nuts when it was announced Drive Club will be 30fps, now people saying it isn't good enough that Horizons 2 will only be 30fps, why not? As long as the games run smoothly, don't slow to such a pace where it becomes unplayable who really cares? Just more "click bait" crap to get the fanboys posting in huge numbers, just check IGN comments section to see what I mean. Gaming journalism isn't what it use to be.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Just to add, in this Shopto article it says ... "We really couldn't care less that Forza Horizon 2 runs at 1080p with 30 frames per second, which is probably why we've held off on writing this story. ... then why write about it at all? or any other story where Resolutions/FPS are in the header? ... Tell us about the game, like if you know how many cars it has, tracks, events, online options, like I said before, more "click bait" rubbish.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
Resolutions and FPS are constantly mentioned coz there are a very large number of peole who expect high numbers from the next gen machines. I just care about game play. As for previous gen it was all about graphics. Crazy.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I have to agree it doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"then why write about it at all? or any other story where Resolutions/FPS are in the header? " - If the game's developers will insist on talking about these aspects of the game, then it will be reported on. And yes, btw... it was like this from day one on PS3/360 also. Pick any games media site and search for "Bayonetta" if you need a good example of this.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Might sound a strange question but what bit games are we on now. Nes Master System was 8 Bit and Mega Drive Snes was 16 Bit and Playstation 1 was 32 bit.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I remember hearing g about Bayonetta when it first came out apparently the sony version was not so good but I couldn't have told you details about it.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
@ SquareSofty, don't get me wrong I understand people want the very best now but I look back at the first year of the 360/PS3, some good looking games but just look how much they improved years later, the same will happen with the XB1/PS4, it will improve over time. I just wish sites concentrated on telling us about the game, story, online features etc because seriously and I'm asking everyone here, your most anticipated game whatever it might be, will you still buy it if you hear it's not 1080p/60fps? I know I will be and I bet someone could give me a game now, I load it up and unless the internet told me I wouldn't be able to tell if it's 720p/900p/1080p/30/60fps and I bet most couldn't either. Getting back to Horizon 2 and Drive Club, now whether they both turn out to be great titles or complete crap won't be because it's running at 30fps and not 60fps.
Metal Gear Rising ran at 60 FPS on PS3/360, one of the few "Last Gen" games that did.
Old Timer: The Xbone/PS4 are more akin to PC hardware so we won't see the same kind of growth as we did for the 360/PS3 since devs already know the Hardware they are working with. The best display of the consoles will be when The Wicher 3 is released since CD Projekt said a while ago that they were close to maxing out both consoles
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
@ Loli, Well I won't disagree as I know nothing about how they work lol. I still wish though and I include Shopto ( even though they are not as bad as sites like IGN, GAF, N4G etc ) sites would just concentrate on what makes games fun, story etc and not the constant "click bait" Resolution/FPS crap but hey, that's just me because for me, sure I like nice graphics etc but that's not what makes a game fun, I bet quite a few here will be buying Minecraft when it's released on XB1/PS4 and I wouldn't call that a visual treat to the eye.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
PC master race...
Yea but Minecraft does run at 60fps. While a high framerate doesn't matter gameplay wise it does make it a more enjoyable experience. Maybe it is cos "you console peasants" aren't used to it? I don't know
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Well I wouldn't call myself a console peasant lol, my PC is a lot more powerfull than either XB1/PS4, I just find console gaming easier and move convenient but I'd never be without my PC as I love my strategy games, something sadly lacking on consoles in my opinion.
+ High Resolution/Framerate has nothing do with High Graphical Fidelity, and personally I don't want games that look "Super Realistic", I prefer a nice and beautiful artstyle
Playing RTS games with a controller is just plain wrong!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"The best display of the consoles will be when The Wicher 3 is released since CD Projekt said a while ago that they were close to maxing out both consoles." - Is that like when Infinity Ward said they were "maxing out" the PS3/360 with Modern Warfare 2 by any chance? Also, I believe we've had this conversation about you trying to present an over-simplified view of XB1/PS4 architecture compared against PC architecture before. Again, saying there's little potential for growth is not exactly accurate, as even though these consoles do utilise mostly PC based components, those components are still fully optimised for the closed hardware design of a games console (Specifically for running games above all else), so even if you were to build a PC to matching specs of these machines, it'd only be half as capable as the dedicated games machine... in addition to being much more expensive. I recall Gamespot did a feature where they tried to demonstrate how you could build a PC that was more capable than a PS4 for a similar price. Long story short: They spent a lot more than PS4's RRP and they still failed. Basically, no one is 'maxing out' either of these machines yet, and you can bet your ass the games we'll be seeing on both will be a lot more impressive than anything we saw at launch.
Yawn
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Console peasants be gone!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
been running watch_dogs on ultra 60fps just to throw it out there..
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
been running watch_dogs on ultra 60fps just to throw it out there..
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Oh? And how much was your PC again Joe? I recall you posting a figure well over a grand or something, isn't that right? At least triple the cost of a PS4 or Xbox One basically. Thank you for helping to make my point.
I'm saying there will be growth but just not as much as there was from Perfect Dark Zero to Halo 4
To build a PC for the "Toots Experiance" would be around £900 and he is already well on his way to breaking even with that price considering how much cheaper PC is than Console
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
watch dogs PC £20 next gen £45-£50...
Ah ... b...b....but you can trade in your game on console
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
when PC games are so cheap you don't even think about the possibility of trading it in.
b...bu...but you will have to spend £300 each year for a new GPU just so you can play a new game
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
You two remind me of Anthony :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Just missing the terrible spelling.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Zombie have you ever noticed 9 times of of ten when you post a news story from another site joes usually already written about it? Trying to make him look bad or something?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Just pointing out you're not so perfect yourself.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Not all the time. Sometimes they update at the same time. If I seen he had already posted about it I wouldn't.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Please I am :)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
If you're perfect i'm bob marley wearing a tutu
Don't get your knickers in a twist Bob.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
This was only announced the other week and now being released about same time as Drive Club..2 Forza games before 1 Drive Club! Forza Horizon is more of an open world racer so has more scenery to deal with. With Drive Clubs extra development time of a year, they could have made it 60FPS, but decided to focus on graphics instead. EA have a series called Need for Speed, not Need for Graphics! http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/1068/7694/original.jpg
I really can't believe you said that. How ignorant can you be?
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Someone posted the picture and I just found it funny. I did not take it serious. I found this comment funny too :"bEg_4_m3RcY • 4 hours ago U mean to tell me that all these racing games and still no drive club??? Thank god I traded that sony system months ago"