Vita to focus on indie titles, PS now and Remote Play; Less 1st Party focus from Sony

Shuhei Yoshida has said in a new interview that the PS Vita will get less first party titles from Sony as the company changes focus for the device.

This will include focusing on it's other strengths such as remote play, PlayStation now and of course indie titles.

“When we launched the Vita with Uncharted, it was amazing; PS3-like quality in your palm, but as time moved on, you are seeing PS4 quality and people’s expectations for the graphic fidelity has gone up,” he explained.

"It's very fortunate that the indie boom happened and they are providing lots of great content to Vita. Gameplay, game mechanic wise, people want to spend 10 minutes, 15 minutes getting in and out. On Vita, it's great with suspended functionality, so these indie games really great for that from a game design standpoint.

"Instead of watching big stories or cinematics, you can spend hours on Vita. So, I think that's actually the biggest star to help provide great content to Vita going forward. And we continue to make games cross-platform games, especially on digital side."

What do you think of Sony's focus for PS Vita? While it's nice to see first party title such as Uncharted, there is something to be said of Remote Play and PlayStation Now, the latter of which will give users the ability to play near unlimited PSP, PS One, PS2 and PS3 games on their handheld. But is this enough to sell consoles?

Edited On 19 Jun, 2014

Comments
Here's hoping for another Bend Studio Uncharted spin-off, Golden Abyss is the reason I own a Vita in the first place.
Christopher 3 months ago
I'm happy as long as they keep releasing the niche indie titles. Atelier rorona plus is up tomorrow. Really hope they bring hakuoki ssl over.
devilmaycare34 3 months ago
Don't hold your breath, fella. Bend's next game is a PS4 title. Seemingly a survival horror of some sort. But yeah, Sony US/EU are unlikely to green light any major Vita projects going forward, but their Japan studio seems to be still working on big titles for it (Gravity Rush 2, Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice 2 are all announced for example) and the console still has some third party support, so it isn't like there's nothing but indies and remote play to come at the same time.
PrometheusFan 3 months ago
I'm a Vita owner, and whilst remote play is a handy feature, it isn't why I bought the system in the first place. This latest statement seems less of an affirmation about what they want to do with the system, and more about them abandoning the development of exclusive, top-class titles. It's a great system and it deserves a little more faith from Sony. As it is, I feel as though they're just treating it like a PS4 peripheral from now on.
da_kerr 3 months ago
thought vita was created with first party stuff and big titles in mind, hence the power and dual analogues, it will be a bit of a blow to the gamers who wanted the console quality games in a handheld, this was actually a selling feature when it was released
jay.hamilton 3 months ago
just have to rely on third parties to still see the potential and keep releasing decent stuff for it then
jay.hamilton 3 months ago
Why are they doing this? The Vita needs its own exclusives for it, it does have a lot of potential with all of its features and i thought that's what they were going to with it from the start? Games like Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet and Uncharted are what it needs, i can't think of anything else that will come out in the near future other than Gravity Rush 2. This just saddens me... :(
Light Heaven 3 months ago
Glad I never bothered with a Vita now, would have bought one but it never had the games to justify it, and now probably never will.
Gloria 3 months ago
Its a shame to see them all but give up on it. The indies I can either play on my PC or one of the other consoles I own if they had advertised it as a indie machine I probably wouldnt have bothered with it but seeing as they were showing it for big style games it is a bit of a kick in the teeth.
Zombieflamingo 3 months ago
The annoying thing is Sony has proved that the console is capable or releasing fantastic first party games like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary. Feel a bit ripped off now after buying the Vita.
Spear 25 3 months ago
Same here Spear though I was sort of expecting it.
Zombieflamingo 3 months ago
While this will encourage more developers to create new and exciting games I would like the first party titles to keep coming- games like Killzone mercenary are brilliant and show what the console can do!
SAM 3 months ago
It's a shame to see Sony show such a lack of confidence in their own hardware, despite promises of continued support for the coming years. I guess it could be argued the Vita is still being supported, but certainly in a diminished capacity. The flip side is that I do use my Vita for a lot of indie games, and that truly doesn't phase me. AAA titles along the lines of Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenaries are great achievements, but they don't necessarily have the pick up and play of many indies, which handhelds seem ideal for. Spelunky, to name but one. To each their own, and it is without question sad to see Sony's candid lack of faith when it comes to investing in 1st party titles on Vita, but as long as it continues to be supported by indie developers then my own investment in the console remains justified.
99Rings 3 months ago
I am gutted, bought a vita when it first released played it more than my home console until I finished Uncharted. Was hoping another massive game was coming. Suppose with Sony being in such a financial mess and only the PS4 doing anything they need to use their pennies there.
b3ddo3 3 months ago
Congratulations Sony! This decision has officially sealed the fate of the Vita. If you don't even have any faith in the system then what is the chances of any third party devs having any. I'm sure most people like myself bought there Vita for the first & third party exclusives that you originally boasted for the system & what do you leave us with? Indies... I enjoy the odd indie but I certainly didn't pay £180 to play them.
Burner 3 months ago
Sony is wasting all of the Vitas potential. Its sad to see them abandoning it after how well the PSP did. I didnt spend £200 on a console just to play indie games. This must be how Xbone and PS4 owners feel.They need to do the complete opposite of this to save the consoe
Pyro Stick 3 months ago
It does feel like they're not supporting their own system but I'm happy as long as Atlus still bring titles to the Vita. And as long as they pull off Playstation Now successfully I quite look forward to it.
Gamer90 3 months ago
I can't wait for PS NOW and I'd love the remote play I reckon, need to look into getting a vita then!
Leo Richard 3 months ago
I hope all you guys who dislike indie support so much will be putting your money where your mouth is over the next few months by picking up some of those non-indie games coming out in the near future like Freedom Wars, Danganronpa 2, Tales of Hearts, One Piece and the like so we keep seeing such titles come out on Vita :)
PrometheusFan 3 months ago
Pretty much 90% of my Vita Library are imports from third party devs anyway. Sony really messed up with this thing.
Settbro 3 months ago
Don't know what all the fuss is about? I'm not even half way through FFX or Toukiden yet let alone started on FFX2, currently playing Borderlands 2 and DW8Xtreme Legends(crossplay with my mate on ps4) and loving them both, God of War Collection hasn't even made it out of the wrapper yet(never played the originals so looking forward to it). I've also got Tales of Hearts R and Natural Doctrine on pre-order which both look great plus still haven't got round to getting Danganronpa, Ys: MoC or Football Manager 2014. Add to that the forthcoming Grim Fandango, Hotline Miami 2, Gravity Rush 2, Soul Sacrifice 2 and Freedom Wars plus the monthly ps plus offerings and all the great indie titles and I think I'll be happy for a long time to come. Have had the Vita for over 2 years and have never been out of good games to play on it, for long periods I even spent more time on it than the ps3 and considering how much my gf likes to monopolize the TV, remote play is a god send...
RTLF 3 months ago
I Love my Vita and Golden Abyss was a great game that I have replayed many time. Really sad that those kind of experiences seem to have just been taken away from me now. Sony have made a big mistake as it feels like they dangled a carrot of what could be to then take it away. Not good form!
Lred 3 months ago
So, basically what they're trying to say is it's unsuccessful and they're giving up. Glad I didn't buy a Vita when I was thinking about it last year, then! I'll just wait until it's really cheap.
Lewis 3 months ago