Bungie hoping for a smooth launch for Destiny

With a lot of FPS games having a less than steady launch, you may be worried about the upcoming release of Bungie's Destiny. Well it seems you needn't be, because the developer is pretty confident that it'll have a steady launch.

"We have been actively preparing," Bungie COO Pete Parsons told GamesIndustry in a new interview.

"It's always scary and exciting and to put your work out in front of people who are judging it but it's also scary to put it out there because you're testing whether it's going to work or not."

Since Destiny is published by Activision, the publishers Demonware online software and services company has also been recruited to help with the launch, which it seems will help a lot.

"They've really learned a lot over the last year, so we take it super seriously and we've been planning for a long time. We've been investing to make sure that we have the best experience possible.

"We will ultimately see what happens but we have every expectation of from moment one having a great experience."

Destiny launches in September 2014 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. You can pre-order below.

Edited On 24 Jun, 2014

Comments
redtodead's avatar
redtodead 2 years ago
i think a lot of pressure is on then because of Halo but am sure they can pull it off i have heard good thing from the alpha
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
It won't work and there will be tons of issues on launch day no matter how hard they try. I will be shocked if it does work which I hope it does.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
To be honest, I always get a little nervous around launch with any online game, even more nervous when you hear developers say, "We hope for a smooth launch", fact is though most online games suffer a few hiccups, some worse than others ( yes I'm looking at you Battlefield 4 ) all we can do is wait and see and keep our fingers crossed.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Battlefield wasn't even just a disastrous launch it was a disastrous first few months. I am expecting something along the lines of Diablo 3/ MMO style launched where the servers don't quite work and only a small amount of people can get it.
Bernard 2 years ago
No online game has ever had a smooth launch. It will be jam-packed and everyone won't be able to login or play the game without being disconnecting.. But one can only hope!
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I got Diablo III on release day and I have to confess, I'm expecting a similar situation with Destiny. It's a problem that afflicts most online games due to the massive demand placed on the servers in those opening days/weeks. Whilst in some ways, a globally staggered release may have alleviated such problems, I can't imagine consumers being too happy with such an approach. I hope Destiny does get a trouble-free start, but I remain cautious.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I know, it is terrible when we expect it not to work. As long as I can create a character while waiting for the servers then I can keep amused, hopefully there will be more than one character slot.
Bernard 2 years ago
It's actually better not expecting it to work. That way when it doesn't work it you'll be like, meh expected. But when it does, omg! it works! Bungie/Activision is amazing. Haha least that would be my reaction. I didn't get to play Diablo 3 until nearly 3-5days later from launch date...
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I think there will be problems, there always is on a game the size of this. But it's how fast bungie can fix the problems that will arise is the key for me. Still can't wait for the beta. I also want to hear more about the story, we've had lots of details about destiny but hardly any about the main campaign. I don't want massive spoilers but some little clue as to what the story is would be nice.
99Rings's avatar
99Rings 2 years ago
Hopefully the beta and extended pre-order demo (also known as 'alpha' and 'beta') will stand them in good stead to provide a solid day-one experience for as many players as possible. It's an online release, so server load issues and the like are inevitable, but lessons learned from yesteryear will limit these problems, or at the very least allow them to be resolved quickly.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
There is so much hype about this game the pressure will almost definitely be on Bungie. However if they can pull it off which I think they will, it will be a major success I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing what can be done :)
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
I don't think we will get it from Bungie but I grow tired of developers when there are server issues with games, ..."Oh we didn't expect that many people/demand" ... that always grinds my gears. Why can't developers put on extra servers and scale back as and when, silly question really, money!!!
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
Simple soultion dont buy it on release? Buy it a 2-3 weeks later, plus it'll be a about £35-£40 on ebay by that time.