Thursday Chat, June 26

Nintendo has had a hard time of late, however it's trying to redeem itself and even showed off a new IP at E3 in the shape of Splatoon.

But what do you think of Nintendo in general? Have you always been an ardent fan? Do you think it has done enough to sell the Wii U to the world. What more can Nintendo do? Should Mario retire and make what for something new?

Or don't you like Nintendo? Did you grow up with a SEGA Master System/Megadrive or PlayStation instead?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 26 Jun, 2014

Comments
I grew up with a Megadrive and then a Playstation. My first Nintendo home console was the Gamecube and I loved that thing, not to say I didn't play the Snes or N64. My Gran had a Snes so I played that a lot & one year my sister got the N64 for her birthday so I played Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie a lot
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Whilst I'd obviously played on the SNES, Game boy, etc my first Nintendo console was the GameCube as well. I remember being determined to get it after seeing Metroid Prime running on one for the first time. I know it was maligned in certain sectors but I think it had some fantastic games. Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Monkey Ball, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil 4, Baten Kaitos, Mario Kart: Double Dash and so on. Not to mention how fine-looking a console it was :D I also have a Gameboy SP, Gameboy Micro, Wii and DS. I really hope they can gain some traction for the Wii U, it does deserve more love than it gets and personally, I'm really excited for Bayonetta 2 on it.
From the standpoint of a PC gamer the Wii U is the best current gen console since it is the only one not trying to be a PC. Too bad everyone is going with the hype and not giving it a chance.Can't wait for Hyrule Warriors and Bayoneta 2, wasn't really that interested in it since I never played the original but that has been fixed since the original will be on the disk as well
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
You get both games? That's a bargain, and also a really smart way to entice people in who aren't familiar with the series. It's an insanely good fun action game, although it is also just the slightest bit bonkers lol.
FemmeFox's avatar
FemmeFox 2 years ago
I grew up with many different consoles and home computers. My first was Master System II with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in. So I have many fond memories of that and Sonic the Hedgehog. I was never that fond of Mario and I'm still not. But Nintendo should never dump the Mario brand as it were. People still enjoy them and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not for me is all. Nintendo aren't afraid to buck trends and while that's given them great success, occasionally it just doesn't work. The Wii U desperately needs it's own stand out games though. Proper exclusives, but not all made in house.
I was still going to buy it day 1 since it is a Platinum game but when that was announced I was so happy. I was about to set up my X360 just so I could play the original beforehand
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
my first own console was a snes with super mario world for Christmas, that was 21 years ago and can remember it clearly
Course you do. Super Mario World is one of the best games of that era
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
then I picked up Mario allstars and killer instinct gold
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
I don't think they have done enough or the right things to get the WiiU into peoples homes but I have been a fan and a dedicated console owner of theirs for a good 20 years and will continue to be. I simply love the exclusives. My first console was the Sega Master System 2 with Alex Kidd built in but I got a Snes for Christmas like jay did and went from there.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
It would be an absolute travesty if Nintendo's stock decreased, but there has to be a shift. Younger gamers nowadays don't need a console and with tablets and iPhone's on the market, the whole of the portable market has been flooded with cheaper devices which do multiple functions. This is too why the Vita has struggled. With the Wii however they succeeded in finding something that was not only fun, but accessible to older gamers too. I feel the Wii U has taken a step back from that although I know it is compatible with Wii games, people would rather use their Wii's than buy a whole new console.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
A Wii2 would be a good idea, with more move functions. Maybe even interacting with the handheld device AS AN OPTION so not to eliminate those who can't afford both - that would shift both consoles
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
I don't think Nintendo know what they want from their consoles at the moment. They could just release a new superior version of the Wii remote for the WiiU and carry on making some remote based games. Will save them from making a Wii2 coz it's kind of already here.
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 2 years ago
Mega Drive, N64, and Playstation. Anyone see the news that Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star is being localized in Europe in September?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
My first console was the Atari 2600 followed by the Master System Alex Kidd in a miracle World being a fond memory of my childhood. Was a Sega gamer and then a Sony gamer never really had a nintendo console as my main console always been a supplementary console to me.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
im a ps4 owner but I absolutely love the Wii U, due to unfortunate circumstances I no longer have one, so im gonna wait and pick up a Zelda bundle next year, getting my Majoras Mask Tattoo a week Tuesday too, cant wait
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I'm a huge fan of 3D platforming game.. which lest be honest at the moment Nintendo rule that genre. Since the PS2 3D platforming games have dried out on all consoles bar nintendos. After a hard days work sometimes i don't like to play an intense shooter or story driven RPG as i'm just to tired. That's where ninendo have always been great with there bright and vibrant colours in there 3d platformers.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Ahhh, the first system I ever played a game on was the original ZX Spectrum. I loved that thing! My grandad was an electrical engineer who since the 50s had been screaming how computers were the future. Looks like he was right! And it was also great because he always insisted we had a computer from the age of about 4! lol.
Toots made a good point. Sometimes you just want to sit back and relax while playing a game, and Nintendo is one of the best in the industry of providing that relaxing feeling
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I feel really young here.. First console i owned myself was the PS1 first game being Crash bandicoot one.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
haha bet you had to google Atari 2600 and ZX Spectrum didnt you Toots.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
ive got a commodore 64 in a box in my loft somewhere along with the snes, mega drive and dreamcast, all the games are boxed too , sealed them in a cardboard box in the hopes that they will be worth a bomb in the future, prob another 30 years lol
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
First console we had was the master system, never had a Nintendo console till the gamecube which was the first console i bought myself. I don't see niintendo going anywhere yet though, they could just change the name of the wii u to the wii 2 and people would think its new.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I did have an amstrad as well which was pretty gun i remember having to use the book that came with the turtles game to get a code that would allow you to play it.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
anyone remember one of the earlier metal gear solid games, forget which that asked you at a certain point to go into your instruction book and search through a list of frequencies to find a secret one to progress, murder if you lost the instruction manual
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
My first console i ever owned was the Xbox 360 in early 2008 to play Halo 3, as i played it at a friends and enjoyed playing the multiplayer so that's how i got into gaming.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 2 years ago
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48k. I was always a Sega fan. Had all the variations from Master to Megadrive, CD & Mega 32 mushroom. My favourite game was Mortal Kombat. I could perform every move with every fighter
michael 2 years ago
i started with vectrex then a commodore64 then a megadrive and a snes loved the snes then my next nintendo console was a gamecube which i found my my favourite game off all time on an american copy of resi 4 i loved that cube with mario sunshine very underated console
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I remember that Jay was it not on the back of the box though?
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
My first games console was a Nintendo 64. Spent hours playing 007 Goldeneye and Star Wars games on it. The next console I had after that was a PS Mini and my favorite game was Hogs of War, which was a really funny game.
Autogamer's avatar
Autogamer 2 years ago
I thought Nintendo was great up until the Wii, I just could not get used to playing games with the Wii remote. The Wii U was better, and at E3 they showed the best games of all of them. Hopefully they turn things around now.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Hogs of War was a great game. Is it on the PSN store?
I like the control scheme of the Wiimote & Nunchuck
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I used to check quite a lot for hogs of war on PSN store and it wasn't there. I haven't checked in a while though.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
HoW was great! Took on one hell of a challenge trying to beat Worms though. All this oldies talk has got me in the mood for Alex Kidd in Miricle World. I recently started FFIX again.
Mlle Nightingale's avatar
Mlle Nightingale 2 years ago
I was born in 1990, and my earliest gaming memory is of playing Sonic and Echo the Dolphin on the Megadrive… then I had a Playstation. I eventually begged for an N64 after I got a chance to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time during a stay at my uncle’s house. Other games I played were Mario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong Racing and Pokémon stadium. I was given a green Gameboy Colour and the Pokémon games as a birthday gift, and I’ve played Pokémon and a few other games across Nintendo’s handhelds ever since. The GameCube had a few stellar games, too. I loved Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Zelda games, RE:make, RE0 and RE4. The Nintendo device I’ve invested the most time in – and gotten the most enjoyment out of – is the 3DS. It finally gave me the opportunity to play Tales of the Abyss, and I’m currently playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and Bravely Default. After many years of intending to, I finally got into Harvest Moon with ‘A New Beginning’. I really want to get Shin Megami Tensei, but haven’t gotten round to it because I tend to prioritise Sony/Microsoft console games over handheld ones.
Mlle Nightingale's avatar
Mlle Nightingale 2 years ago
On a negative note, I also personally feel that Nintendo consoles have been the downfall of the Project Zero/Fatal Frame series. I found Spirit Camera on 3DS to both terrible and downright impossible to play at times (due to its dependency on lighting). I really loved the second game, Crimson Butterfly, and was initially very excited about the remake despite the fact that was going to be on the Wii – a console I had no interest it. I really did try to love the remake, but I got so frustrated with the camera angle adjustment that follows behind you, and the awkward controls for the ghost battles, that I eventually rage quit and gave up because I just wasn’t enjoying myself. Finally, I really wish that the Monster Hunter series didn’t appear exclusively appear on Nintendo consoles now. It’s the type of game I would just love to play on a big TV screen with a controller, but because I currently have no intention of purchasing a Wii U I’m restricted to the 3DS version.
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 2 years ago
Had a megadrive and an N64, then moved onto playstation, playstation 2 and xbox. Have always had a gameboy colour though so can say that alot of my gaming time has been spent on nintendo devices, just not alot recently. Still wanting to get a WiiU thugh but at this moment that is solely down to Mario Kart
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 2 years ago
Saw Hogs of war in Plymouth for 15 quid, playstation 1 version though
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 2 years ago
Since when was dragon ball xeno a thing? Only just came across it today on the preorders
Since just before E3
LFC Bywater's avatar
LFC Bywater 2 years ago
I mkssed that completely, last dbz game I truly enjoyed was raging blast 2 so hopefully this one is a good un
Well Xenoverse is being developed by Dimps, the people who made the Budokai games & Burst Limit
Autogamer's avatar
Autogamer 2 years ago
The Wii remote was not too bad in some games, but could not play Destroy All Humans well. Racing games was weird and without the wheel add on was even weirder. I could also not get used to steering wheels either, I bought one for the N64 but then could not get to grips with it, and went back to the gamepad, and never touched a steering wheel ever again, until the Wii. Also the Wii is more of a offline multiplayer / party console whereas I mainly play games nowadays either solo or online multiplayer. The Wii brought the consoles to the masses, but alienated solo gamers, the Wii U is more solo friendly with its new screen gamepad and the controller pro which is used more now. A lot of Wii games are not compatible with the controller pro