Game Critic Awards reveal best of E3 nominations

Update: The winners of the E3 Games Critic Awards have been officially announced and it seems like the big winner is Evolve, which is great as we are really looking forward to this one.

Here's the list of winners:

- Best of Show: Evolve
- Best Strategy Game: Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Best Social/Casual/Family Game: Mario Maker
- Best Online Multiplayer: Evolve
- Best Independent Game: No Man’s Sky
- Special Commendation for Innovation: No Man’s Sky

What do you think?

Original: The Official E3 Games Critic Awards, which is made up of "An independent group of 29 leading North American media outlets," has recently announced the official ‘Best of E3 2014‘ nominations list.

Winners will be announced on July 1, but we wanted to show you the list so that you can tell us which games you would choose in each category.

There are some pretty impressive looking titles below. Which are your favourites?

Best of Show

- Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady/WBIE)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith/WBIE)
- No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Original Game

- Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
- Splatoon (Nintendo EAD/Nintendo)
- Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac/Microsoft Studios)

Best Console Game

- Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady/WBIE)
- Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith/WBIE)

Best Handheld Game

- Murasaki Baby (Ovosonico/Sony Computer Entertainment)
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus/Atlus)
- Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (Sora/Namco-Bandai/Nintendo)
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Square-Enix/Square-Enix)

Best PC Game

- Civilization: Beyond Earth (Firaxis/2K Games)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (Bioware/EA)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Hardware

- Alienware Alpha (Alienware)
- Oculus Rift (Oculus VR)
- PlayStation TV (Sony Computer Entertainment)
- Project Morpheus (Sony Computer Entertainment)

Best Action Game

- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Sledgehammer Games/Activision)
- Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Far Cry 4 (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Action/Adventure Game

- Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)
- Assassin’s Creed Unity (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (Rocksteady/WBIE)
- Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac/Microsoft Studios)
- The Order: 1886 (Ready at Dawn/Sony Computer Entertainment)

Best RPG

- Bloodborne (From Software/Sony Computer Entertainment)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (Bioware/EA)
- Fable Legends (Lionhead/Microsoft Studios)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith/WBIE)
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Atlus/Atlus)

Best Fighting Game

- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Arc System Works/Aksys Games)
- Killer Instinct Season 2 (Iron Galaxy Studios/Microsoft Studios)
- Mortal Kombat X (NetherRealm Studios/WBIE)
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Arc System Works/Atlus)
- Super Smash Bros Wii-U (Sora/Namco-Bandai/Nintendo)

Best Racing Game

- Driveclub (Evolution/Sony Computer Entertainment)
- Forza Horizon 2 (Playground Games/Microsoft Studios)
- The Crew (Ivory Tower/Reflections/Ubisoft)

Best Sports Game

- FIFA 15 (EA Canada/EA Sports)
- NHL 15 (EA Canada/EA Sports)
- Madden NFL 15 (Tiburon/EA Sports)

Best Strategy Game

- Civilization: Beyond Earth (Firaxis/2K Games)
- Grey Goo (Petroglyph/Grey Box)

Best Social/Casual

- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (Avalanche/Disney Interactive)
- Fantasia: Music Evolved (Harmonix/Disney Interactive)
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (TT Games/WBIE)
- Mario Maker (Nintendo EAD/Nintendo)
- Yoshi’s Woolly World (Good-Feel/Nintendo)

Best Online Multiplayer

- Battlefield: Hardline (Visceral/EA)
- Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
- Evolve (Turtle Rock/2K Games)
- Splatoon (Nintendo EAD/Nintendo)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Indie

- Axiom Verge (Tom Happ)
- CounterSpy (Dynamighty)
- Below (Capy Games)
- No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
- Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Game Studio)

Edited On 02 Jul, 2014

Comments
What the hell is the blasphemy? No Wild Hunt anywhere on that list
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
Shadow of Mordor is still my main game for this year.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Well all those categories just prove to me how bad this years E3 was.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
does look pretty dire, Though No Mans Sky should take everything it was nominated for, Just shows what people can create if given the time and freedom to try something new, blew me away considering it is an indie
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
My word, not exactly the most exciting list, is it? Though, I'm with Jay, No Man's Sky deserves to clear the board in every category it's been nominated in. That game looks sumptuous! :D
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Breaks my heart to see two ubisoft games under 'best PC' games especially with the watch dogs fiasco.
While I am extremely sceptical of No Mans Sky I agree with Jay as well. It should win everything it is in, if just for a big slap it the face for every publisher who rehash the same formula over and over again
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I agree No Mans Sky should win some awards least there attempting something different even if it sounds too good to be true.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
you could tell the guy presenting it at e3 had put his heart and soul into it, just the demo of jumping from a planet full of life into his XWING, yes I said it, up into space, a bit of synchronised flight in battle, back onto another planet, back into space etc without it loading a single time, I know its not finished yet but what I wouldn't give to just get on it now and just go exploring
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I agree No Mans Sky should win a few awards. Would also like to see Destiny win some too, as the games scale is impressive as well at it being something new. Splatoon looked really good too.
Mlle Nightingale's avatar
Mlle Nightingale 2 years ago
From this list, the games I’m anticipating the most are Alien: Isolation, Evolve, Shadow of Mordor, Persona Q, No Man's Sky, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Bloodborne and Ori and the Blind Forest. The Witcher should definitely be there in the Best RPG category though. I would personally replace Fable Legends with Wild Hunt. Loved the original Fable, didn’t think too highly of 2 or 3, and I don’t like the look of this new game at all.
The new Fable is hardly an RPG anyway
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I hope they can reverse the fortunes of Fable, I feel like they haven't been of particular quality since the first :(
Lewis 2 years ago
Those lists look pretty weak. I'm amazed that Persona Q, Fable and Dragon Age are in best RPG, but Wild Hunt and Xenoblade Chronicles X are nowhere to be seen. Crazy.
I understand Dragon Age being there but Fable and Persona shouldn't be there
Mlle Nightingale's avatar
Mlle Nightingale 2 years ago
I’m playing Fable Anniversary at the moment, and it seems they kept in all of the glitchyness and game freezing for nostalgia’s sake. >_> I played Persona back on PS2 and I really loved it, so I’m happy to see it getting a bit of recognition as I always thought it was quite an obscure and underrated title. Even if this particular instalment does look kinda… strange.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
I'm glad persona Q did well it looks well sweet. But I am still hoping atlus will make an hd remake for prsona 3:Fes for the ps3 in next 2 years (Loved that game). Evolve looks ok but im surprised it won that many really. But dragon age did well so that's worth something.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
Mortal Kombat X and Evil Within... Where are they?
Lewis 2 years ago
They liked Evolve that much? I mean it looked good, but I wouldn't have given it so many awards.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Agreed, Lewis, it does look good but obviously their excitement is greater than that which currently surrounds the title amongst the populous. Glad to see No Man's Sky picking up a few though :)
Lewis 2 years ago
No Man's Sky looks amazing. That's a game that I would have given Best of Show to.
Any awards that don't even nominate Zelda in the RPG category aren't worth shit.
Lewis 2 years ago
Why? I don't think Zelda is an RPG.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Zelda sucks.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
Zelda does has rpg elements know lewis. Anyways these type of awards are usually full of generic first or third person shooters (Evolve). At the end of the day we all have our preferences in what games that should be there.
If it's not an RPG what is it?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
in my opinion.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
I'd say Zelda is adventure/rpg.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Zelda is an RPG like anime is cartoons..
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
That's a joke btw akemi...
Lewis 2 years ago
It's got RPG elements but I'd call it an action-adventure game.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Fable Legends and Middle Earth I wouldnt class as RPGs either
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Agree with Bindiana.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
How did Evolve win so much? Personally not really bothered by it especially when its released in the October among lots of other games. Great to see No Mans Sky win a few awards.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
I thought the same, don't like the look of evolve, it looks nice but not that nice
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Least Evolve is something new and not Battlefields of Assassins of Duty vs Fifaforza Far Cry Aliens 15.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
I would say alien isolation is something new too, not saying evolve isn't new, saying I don't like the look of it, im not into online deathmatches and that's what it basically is , im a story guy, but like I said it does look nice, im happy no mans sky got everything they were nominated for though
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
Yes it should get praise for being a new IP. But personally I just don't think it looks that special. Perhaps closer to the time, the more we see of the game I will change my mind.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Yeah I understand that you dont like the look of it just projecting my beef that I am bored of sequels and want something new. I think it will be good if you have 4 or 5 mates that play regularly it seems an interesting concept.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
I still couldn't play it if my friends were playing, its like destiny, it has a storyline so I can get into it but ill just end up selling evolve as its the same over and over kill the monster or be the monster, Hope others enjoy it though
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 2 years ago
I had planned on getting Evolve, but like others have said, it is basically an online shooter. I will have Destiny, I don't need another straight away. So I cancelled it and preordered Alien. Hopefully I'll get to try it out for myself first at EGX.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
dave your like a kid a Christmas lol, u gonna put some pics up on fb
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
and if Morpheus is there u need to get on that shit and let us know
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
and i don't mean Laurence fishbourne lol
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 2 years ago
Definitely. Where do you think I plan on heading first? I'm going on the Thursday, early entry
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Just to note, only games that were actually playable to the judges were eligible for nomination in these awards. Zelda and Witcher 3 are among many titles that were not playable to the judges, so they were ineligible. Why else do you think Smash Bros would ever win in a fighting game category if a new Mortal Kombat were playable for example? And no, Zelda is NOT an RPG at all. Even Nintendo have described those games as being "Action-adventure" for as long as I can remember.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
go wherever u want first dave, youll be like a kid in a candy store lol