Minecraft now top seller on consoles, sales outstrip PC/Mac

The console versions of Minecraft have now outsold the PC version.

Saga revealed that combined, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions have sold around 14 million in total, with the Xbox 360 version along standing at around 12 million sales due to being available for a much longer period of time.

Both the PS Vita, PS4 and Xbox One versions are still to be released, so this total is likely to climb higher still.

There's no stopping Minecraft it seems.

Edited On 26 Jun, 2014

Comments
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Whilst Minecraft is something I've never quite 'got', I find the Vita version appealing to me. I think it could well suit the handheld and the interface options it offers. Oh well, guess I'm going to be another person pushing that tally even higher lol.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Makes sense as pc is dead and slowly dying out.
Autogamer's avatar
Autogamer 2 years ago
PC is far from dead and dying out. I would say the consoles are dead, with the PS4 and xb1 both being based on PC tech. PCs have taken over everything. The sales are mainly for the 360 and PS3 and these have built up a huge library, and have been extremely popular, over the past decade. Up until now the games console has been more viable until now. PC games can be played on tablets, laptops as well as the desktop PC, and all can be hooked up to a TV now, making it like a games console. With the PC having decades of games to choose back from compared to the PS4 / xb1 being fresh starts, I can not see these taking off, unless they can come up with more new AAA games, and less remakes, than is currently coming out for them.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
It was meant to be a longer joke but my phone went mad and I didnt even realise it posted. My phone just keeps randomly doing stuff for no reason opening apps and so on. I dont think either are particularly dying apart from in Japan just now where they are focused on the handhelds. The main issue with the PC is the stigma of how much they cost and people thinking you have to upgrade every year. Both the xbox one and PS4 are still doing really well just now though and they will get better the more games come out for them there is always the slow transition from one generation to the next.
If you play a lot of games then PC is the cheapest way to go but people only see the short term
Lewis 2 years ago
I've never really got into the game, but while this isn't too surprising as Minecraft is available on so many platforms, I would think that the PC version would still be doing better because of mods and things like that.
Oh and still no Wii U version
Lewis 2 years ago
Which makes no sense to me. The Gamepad would make item management and crafting so much simpler.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 2 years ago
Crafting is simple enough in console version...