Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies

Mario Kart 8 has sold two million copies to date, according to reports.

The news comes from Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders and more specifically, a tweet from a shareholder in attendance who said that the company's general hardware manager, Genyo Takeda, revealed the news.

Takeda went on to say that Wii U hardware sales had also increased, although did not provide any figures.

Considering that last official Wii U figure was 6.17 million Wii U units sold, this makes for a decent amount of Wii U fans buying the game and also makes it the fastest selling Wii U game to date.

Unfortunately for Nintendo, sales since launch seem to have slowed down somewhat.

Edited On 27 Jun, 2014

Comments
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
It's great that a large number of WiiU owners have it but to be fair it's not the best MK they've made. I usually play it loads but this one I'm finding it hard to want to play it... Might get online with it tonight after work.
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
Why are people giving Nintendo such a hard time? To be frank, they've won me over & I'm a SEGA supporter! I was an early-adopter of the Wii U, having pre-ordered it at launch on Amazon, & I'm loving gaming on it. You get the gamepad bundled with it instead of having to purchase either a PS Vita or TabletPC separately, unlike its competitors. I was just using its internet functions the other day & websites load onto the system pretty much comparably as they do on a high-end TabletPC. I was stunned! LoveFilm is great on the system too! When I first booted 'Injustice' onto it when it first launched, personally, I thought I was playing a New Age game on it, the look & feel of it was that good & I was only recently playing 'NFS:Most Wanted' on the console &, again, personally, I thought it looked & played phenomenally! I'm even considering trading in my 'NFS:Rivals' XO copy, 'cause in my opinion, 'NFS: Most Wanted' is that good! Definitely pre-ordering 'Watch Dawgs DEDSEC' (just thought, is this game named for that painting by Rembrandt?) edition for the console now! I think Nintendo have come a long way since their Eighties beginnings, & to be honest, these days it seems all about the gamers & acolytes to the gaming entertainment to me! + you enjoy Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Starfox + Virtual Console is also a great addition & should get better & better! Because they have released 'Senran Kagura', I'm getting a 3DS XL & will get 'Senran Kagura 2:Deep Crimson' when it launches! & at this rate, I would consider pre-ordering their next venture into home console entertainment, hopefully pre-ordering it through ShopTo this time! & as for Mario Kart 8, it IS definitely better than 'MK 7' & 'MK Double Dash'; it's worth getting just for the 'Sunshine Airport' track alone. Has to be seen to be believed on an HD t.v.!
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
I think Mario Kart Wii has been the best one so far, along with Double Dash and 7.. I love all my Nintendo consoles including the WiiU. Just wish MK8 wasn't played around with to the degree it has been.
Lewis 2 years ago
That's pretty impressive. Hopefully this is the start of a more successful time for Nintendo. The game itself is great and is a huge step up from the rubbish that was Mario Kart Wii.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I'm glad to see Nintendo managed to sell a game in good quantities.... Not played MK8 yet, what's it like? Does it handle like Double Dash (probably my favourite in the series)?
Christmas season will be the true test
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Do you think Bayonetta 2 might be able to give the system a bump in the market of slightly older gamers? Whilst I'm not a hardcore Nintendo fan, I don't want to see such an innovative company fail. Sometimes they try brave ideas and hit gold, and sometimes they just can't get the general public behind them. But, I think you're right Loli-Nox-Tan, Christmas will be a big test of the system.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I dont think there will be one game that will save the Wii U. Each big game will give it a little bump like Smash Bros, Zelda and Bayonetta I dont think there is enough games to make all the little bumps into a big one.
There is never going to be a big bump until the unnecessary Nintendo hate that you find all over the inter-webs goes away
Lewis 2 years ago
@da_kerr I don't think Bayonetta will make a huge difference unless they really advertise it. I would hope that it would bring in fans of hack 'n' slash games and just older fans in general, but I'm sceptical. However, it will keep the positive momentum that the system has going along with Hyrule Warriors and Super Smash Bros. so hopefully it gets more people interested in the system.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I think Bindiana is right. We seen Nintendo release big games for the Wii U already, such as Super Mario 3D World and MK8 and even though they've sold quite well or boosted Wii U hardware sales they haven't been able to sustain it. As Nintendo release there other big games like Zelda and Smash Bros we will see the same thing.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
They need to step up the advertising come christmas with Mario Kart, Smash Bros and the figures.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 2 years ago
Mario makes money, who would of guessed that? lol. In all seriousness the game is absolutely a blast to play, and deserves all its praise.
Burner's avatar
Burner 2 years ago
If Nintendo really want to make the Wii U a success they need to get the 3rd party devs on their side. No console will succeed purely on it's exclusives!! As long as we have the likes on the latest Batman bullshit going on it's going to turn potential buyers of the system away.
Fresh_1's avatar
Fresh_1 2 years ago
Good news that Mario Kart spiked sales for the Wii U. As i'm sure a sizable chunk of the 2 million were new adopters of the Wii U. I myself stopped playing MK8 after a week or two. Lost interest quickly. Completed every cup and never went back except for a race here and there. Not knocking the game but I think my interest in Mario Kart has wained over the years.
Dominic 2 years ago
They still need more third party games or new IP of their own to actually make the Wii U successful.
redtodead's avatar
redtodead 2 years ago
id be surprised if it didn't to be fair, but i think its a bit of over kill when announced all these mario character spin off games at e3. i mean i love mario games but really?
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
This is a good result for the Wii U but it really highlights how far behind the PS4 and XBox One the console is, even though it was released a year prior and has powerful specs. The issue is that the console is still targetted towards the younger gamers. Oldies like me are unlikely to want to play a load of games which are aimed at the younger generation... although we might want to play one or two of them. As the rise of Android and iOS devices saturate what use to be Nintendo's forte, handheld gaming, it will becoming increasingly difficult and although the WiiU is a home console many will pick a PS4 or XBox One over one
The people who pick up a Xbone or PS4 are idiots and should just go for a PC if they are spending that much
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
Its still cheaper than a high end PC Nox. Once you buy a PC too, its out of date within 6 months at the very latest as there is always something more powerful out. However Gaming PC's will probably see you good for a generation, but I still prefer my consoles sat under the TV, ready for Fifa-time
Xbone will set you back £350, 5 retail games to get you started will set you back £150-£250, 5 Digital games will set you back £25-£50, XBL or PSN membership will set you back £30-£40, them £40-£50 for pretty much every new release going forward. Tell me again how consoles are cheaper
I'm just saying if you want a console that is trying to be a PC then just get a PC, if you want a console that is just a console get any one from the past generations (or a Wii U)
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
A good gaming PC will set you back a good £700-800 that will last a generation
It will last more than 1 generation if you are ok playing the next generation with a bit higher/same quality as the next gen console (X???? PS5)
& even if it did last you one generation what's the problem? The platform has a huge back catalogue, new games are released every day, & most of the time the games are cheap as chips. Oh and when it comes time to upgrade (When the new consoles are out) it will only cost you £200-£250 to upgrade (£100-£150 if you sell your old GPU) as opposed to the new console which will no doubt be pushing the £500 range ”
or you could just overclock your shit
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I think people still have that view of PCs as being hellishly expensive and unreliable. I've been a PC gamer for a long time, and back in the day you'd be facing nightmarish scenarios with drivers and patches to get things working properly. Or getting screwed because you didn't have the right kind of 3D card. Those days have mostly faded, but I think the memory still persists in the public consciousness. Plus, I think console gaming is probably more 'accepted' since Sony did so much to make it cool back in the days of the PS1. Personally, I play games on my consoles and on my PC, just typically I play different kinds on the differing platforms. Each to their own, and I certainly wouldn't have issue with someone preferring either PC or consoles, we all have our different reasons for liking different systems.
As do I but the thing that annoys me is that it is always the same argument time and time again "PC is only for rich people". If we are going by an all in price then consoles are only for rich people
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I think it's the initial outlay that gives people that perception. I know that PC gaming is, in the long run, cheaper due to the vastly lower price of games. However, with consoles also holding so many exclusives, and some games never seeing the light of day on PC (and vice versa) I think hardcore gamers often find themselves with PC and console just so they can experience everything. I'm one of them. There are some games I love on PC, but if I'd missed out on Uncharted, I'd have been disappointed, as those games are some of my favourites of all-time. Still, many of the adventure games I love are only on PC so....there you go lol
I have console too but the only games I buy for them are exclusives (& games with unique features) so saying that I will only buy the console when A: Enough games are out B: When it is cheap enough
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I dont think there is any particular right or wrong answer though a lot of it is just based on misconceptions like having to upgrade every year. I bought my PC 3-4 years ago and can still play on max settings and have done nothing with it. Though the main thing that consoles have going for them is the ease of use.
Consoles are convenient and people don't like having to learn new stuff
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Although, there is also the situation in many family homes where the computer is occupied by everyone using the internet or word processing, that kind of thing. I know someone who recently caved and bought a PS3 just because their dad was always hogging the PC. So, I guess that's also a factor too. I think for some they just find PCs a hassle and I can understand that. Depending on your technical knowledge and awareness to do things to keep your PC optimised and secure, sometimes things can go a bit awry. The number of PCs I've fixed for people just because they couldn't keep it malware free for a start....lol. I think both choices have their pros and cons, I guess it's just picking the one that fits into your life best that it comes down to. I'm just glad people are gaming, no matter what platform it's on XD
I do agree with you
Lewis 2 years ago
Consoles are a lot more convenient than PC's for me. Since I'm such a lazy person, it's a lot easier to just buy a box that can play exclusive games than to figure out what specific specifications I'll need to have in my PC to play the games I want. It's also a lot easier to get my mates round and play on a console than it would be to play on a PC. I want to get a capable PC at some point, but at the moment I'm perfectly happy with a console.
You are a bit misinformed on that last point. You can just connect a PS3/PS4/X360/Xbone wirelessly
Lewis 2 years ago
What do you mean?
You can connect your pads to PC using Bluetooth. I use my PS3 pad for Platformers and fighters
Lewis 2 years ago
Oh, I chose the wrong words. I know you can use some controllers for a PC. I'm just saying a lot of my friends own the same consoles as I do, so they could bring round their games that I don't own and we can play them together, however none of them are PC gamers so we wouldn't be able to do things like that.
It depends on what kind of game you are talking about but you could just log onto Steam and buy the game
Lewis 2 years ago
I could, but on a console my friends could just bring their games. I don't have to buy the game myself just in case I don't enjoy it (and it's easier on my wallet), and if I do like it then I'll have fun playing it with my friends. It's a win-win on a console.
Guess you are lucky that Microsoft and Sony removed their DRM from the consoles
Also what games have couch coop nowadays?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Just counting the PS4/ xbox one games I have Resogun, COD ghosts, Plants VS Zombies garden warfare, Lego Marvel/ Hobbit, Forza 5, Rayman Legends, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme legends, worms battlegrounds, Powerstar Golf, Halo Spartan assault, Killer Instinct, Fifa 14, Injustice gods among us, Peggle 2, Mercenary Kings and Child of light all have some sort of local multiplayer.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
wii u is doomed.
Then compare that the the millions of other online only co-op games
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I don't see why that makes a difference as there are still plenty with local co-op.
I'm not disputing that. I'm just making the point that local co-op has been making it into less and less games in the last 5 years
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
That is true.
Lewis 2 years ago
It's really unfortunate that the amount of games with local multiplayer is starting to fall. It's crazy to think that evern games like Need for Speed Most Wanted don't have local multiplayer.
SUKHVINDER 2 years ago
People are bothered with hardware and graphics that the Wiiu doesn't have and third party games which release on other 2 consoles they look lot better and no one is going to buy on a console which is looks low end graphics now the problem is got to understand somes games are suitably for wiiu because of gamepad features or remote and nunchuk style of gameplay wiiu has lot of different way of playing inc. streaming games to gamepad or you can have youtube video playing on tv and browse on gamepad at the same time, these type of technology is not available on other consoles. Third party games won't do so well but Nintendo has to release their exclusives to keep it alive and lot of good games are releasing in 2015 inc. starfox and zelda U.