Splatoon - Hands on with Nintendo's latest title

Long have we been all too quick to knock Nintendo for their rather risky business decisions, with a couple of struggling consoles behind it, the company has always been prepared to try something different, sometimes it revolutionises how we play games, like the Wii and Gameboy, though in more recent times there has been a struggle, especially with the WiiU, what with the initial confusion around what it exactly the console was and the worrying lack of titles, either from third parties or Nintendo itself. Now though, with the Wii U about to start its second year, it is very clear that there is still an awful lot of fight left in this misunderstood console.

Nintendo’s E3 summed it all up; they are not ones for doing things like everyone else, they are prepared to go against the grain and push in a different direction and ultimately offer something different to the gamers, but with an overall feel of Nintendo quality to them all and that’s what it has managed with its most recent batch of up and coming games. During a recent visit to London we saw some of the games which Nintendo talked about at this year's E3; some were near completion, others just mere ideas that they are working on, but each one had that buzz and quality that only Nintendo games have.

First up and one that had the most excitement around it not for the overly hyped staff whipping every player into a frenzy was Splatoon, Nintendo’s answer to online shooters. This eight player team vs. team splat-fest certainly has the most hype around it, mostly down to being a new IP from Nintendo, something we have been asking for some while now. The game map on offer was the same seen in the E3 presentation, so a little familiarity came as an advantage as the battle began. The aim of Splatoon is to cover as much of the map in your teams colour as possible using your paint guns, spraying over enemy colours as you make your way around the well-designed map full of secret tunnels and bottle necks allowing for some fierce and tense action.

The controls are very similar to regular shooters with trigger buttons allowing to shoot and throw paint grenades. Your paint is in limited supply, so the only way to recharge is to become your squid form, dropping into the paint and not only refilling your ammo but also allowing you to traverse the map quicker and more importantly, off the radar, which in turn allows for some satisfying ambush moments when attacking the other side. With the action being quite full on and fast on the main screen visually the GamePad is only really used for quick glances to see the state of the map and where your paint may be needed and also to quick travel to another player as and when you are shot down. The GamePad however also makes use of its in built gyros to great effect, with small adjustments to the pads angle allowing you to fine tune your crosshair on the main screen; confusing at first but it very quickly becomes second nature when lining up your shots, combining your regular thumb stick aiming and complimenting it with the gamepad movement. With even more maps and extra special weapons still to be shown this is going to be an interesting game to watch as it develops over the coming months.

The largest hurdle this game will have is the visuals as even though with all of the paint flying all over the pace and silky smooth action the cartoon look and feel is going to instantly put many people off, I witnessed a few players on the pods at the show, instantly dismissing the game and saying it was not their sort of thing even before shooting a splat of paint, though within minutes the turnaround of opinion was obvious, a smile from ear to ear and a willingness for just another round. Though lacking in the gritty reality of modern war and violent headshots and multi-death war machines that you can operate with a click of a button Splatoon captures the same feel and action but without the violence. Visually the game is already worthy of a modern Nintendo game, my only concern is what exactly the content will be if and when It comes to disc, especially after games like Titanfall not really doing well for online only multiplayer games.

We'll have more on Nintendo's latest titles throughout the week.

Words by Ash Buchanan.

Edited On 30 Jun, 2014

Comments
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
This does look good fun worth getting a Wii U for though? Probably not but more titles like this could boost the consoles sales
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
It actually looks intriguing, although the art style isn't going to win fans in the slightly older demographics. But, as the article points out, it's trying to get people to shell out for an online-only experience that's going to be a big issue surrounding this. If they could incorporate a single-player element that didn't feel 'tacked on' then I think they would be doing this game a lot of favours. As always though, whilst it doesn't always go to plan, you do have to credit Nintendo for having the guts to do something a little different.
Correction: although the art style isn't going to win fans in the "closed minded twats" demographic
Game looks fantastic, can't see how the look of it is in any way bad, nobody needs another dreary grey brown shooter, the fact that people want them just shows how stupid the majority of gamers have become.
Lewis 2 years ago
There needs to be a substantial single player mode in this game for me to get it before a price drop. It looks like a lot of fun in multiplayer and I want to try it out, but multiplayer-only games aren't really my thing.
It's a new IP so it is a buy for me. I'm fine with Multiplayer only if the make it unique as possible since I have plenty of Single Player games, do I really need another one?
Don't see the issue with it being multiplayer only, not like you have to pay to play.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Whilst it's not the ideal situation, certain aesthetics are usually tied to certain age demographics. Doesn't mean it's right, but it's how much of the thinking behind games is done. I mean, does anyone remember the excellent visual style of FUSE before they suddenly changed the whole look and made everything drab and 'realistic'. I don't think developers should have to choose a particular look just based on their target audience, and that there should be more creative freedom. But, Nintendo has struggled in recent years with perceptions over their systems being 'for kids' and I just wonder whether more games like this will help that wider perception? Often the way in which the public sees something and the reality of it are miles apart.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Did they not say the other day that there will be single player? I don't mind the art style as long as the game will be fun.
I actually found FUSE to be quite colourful by todays standards, the art style wasn't the real problem with it though, the game was just so damned generic.
Lewis 2 years ago
@Gloria I just prefer single player games. I still have a lot of fun with multiplayer games but most of the time I just enjoy playing through some sort of single player campaign. @da_kerr Back when Fuse was called Overstrike I was very excited for it. The changes just killed all of my interest in the game. Of course some people are going to pass of Splatoon (and pretty much any colourful game in general) as childish, but that's their loss. Developers should just make games the way they want to make it.
I prefer single player games too, but I'm not going to pass up such a fantastic looking game just because it has no single player.
Lewis 2 years ago
Don't get me wrong, Splatoon looks great and it is definitely going to be a game that gets added to my Wii U collection. I'm just struggling to justify paying £40+ for a game focused around multiplayer. I had the same issue with Titanfall. Of course I could change my mind when I see more of the game, but at the moment I think I'll be waiting for a while before I pick it up.
Who says it's going to be £40+, placeholder prices might be that now, but by release I can see it dropping to under £40 easily. Hyrule Warriors had a placeholder price of around £50 but has now dropped to £35.
I can see Splatoon dropping to the same price range or even sub £30
Lewis 2 years ago
And if the price changes, I'll change my mind about getting the game early. However, the sites I use have it listed at £40 or higher, so that's what my current opinion is based on. I'll just have to wait and see if the price does drop before making a decision on whether or not I'll get it on the first day. If it gets to £30 or maybe even less I'll definitely get it on day one.
Ashton 2 years ago
I believe its already been confirmed that Splatoon will have a single player and a local multiplayer (1v1) mode, as well as the online multiplayer mode. Nintendo aren't really interested in bringing out online-multiplayer-only games as it limits the playability of the game.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
I think Splatoon will drop in price for sure and it's definitely a game I'm going to get. Hopefully there is a single player mode but I'm fine with it being MP only.
It is a Nintendo game so it will drop in price sure but it won't drop as much as you hope
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I agree with your original point Gloria. Games have become so dreary compared to what they once were. Look at the Mega Drive, SNES and Playstation as an example of this. Apart from Doom and Mortal Kombat very few Mega Drive and SNES games would be gory and scary. In fact I think the majority of games were sports or platformers in a Sonic-esque style. Even Shonobi and Streets of Rage which were aimed at the older gamer were both soft in today's terms. And up until Resident Evil came out the PS1 was exactly the same with Crash Bandicoot, Pandemonium etc.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Wait, this is a full price release rather than a downloadable title? And it's multiplayer only? That's truly ridiculous... especially when it's coming from a company with as poor a track record of online multiplayer implementation as Nintendo. Unbelievable.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
Oh and those games were all really successful - I think its gamers have changed what they want
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I reckon Prometheus that it will be both online and offline.
Lewis 2 years ago
@Loli-Nox-Tan Tell me about it. I've been waiting four months for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to drop in price but it hasn't even budged.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Oh yeah, obviously it'll have local multiplayer as well, but if this is seriously a full price retail release, it's going to need a lot more to it than that is all I meant.
Try reading the comments dick, single player has been confirmed.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
I like the art style really but i'm still not sold on splatoon yet. I will be keeping my an eye of the progress none the less & then i will make up my mind on splatoon at an later date.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
come on gloria no need to start hurling insults about.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I was really impressed by Splatoon at E3. Its something completely new and it was unexpected which is a great combination. It probably wont take long to price drop after release. Even at release I expect this game to be about £35 which I don't think is too much imo.
Probably not Tootell, I've just had nine days dick free though, so the first dick that came along was always going to get it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I had a dirty joke on the end of my tongue but then i though better not..
I pretty much did it first anyway, although may be a little subtle for some.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
There seems to be a lot of people which are anti Nintendo! All Nintendo games will have single player and they will be strong single player games. The multiplayer element just prolongs the game further
That's generally true, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are the exceptions though, and Splatoon is going to buck the trend even more I think.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I do like Nintendo as all their games are finished. There isn't all this part of a game this, or part of a game that. They make a game complete before it goes out on sale
They are getting on the DLC bandwagon now though, but they've kept things pretty reasonable so far, the exception being Mario Golf.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
If the DLC is done right then its not a problem I feel. What was up with the golf one?
Should have been part of the game really, it was a bit content light, they should have added one or two of the courses to the game and left one or two as DLC really.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" come on gloria no need to start hurling insults about. " - Setting aside how rich this is coming from you of all people Joe, I'm sure you've been reading this site long enough by now to know that ad hominem abuse is always Gloria's go to response in the face of any opposing viewpoint or opinion (Or in some cases, factual statements). Sort of like what you'd get from a schoolyard bully or something.
Blah blah blah yawn. Apart from Anthony there hasn't been a member so universally disliked and disagreed with than you kevin. Anthony has the excuse of being brain damaged though, so he can get away with it.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Well... guess that's me... uh... proven wrong? :/
Wrong is subjective, stupid definitely though.
Hehehehehehe
Play nice you two
I always play nice, haven't killed anyone yet.
Light Heavensword's avatar
Light Heavensword 2 years ago
Looks okay, but for Wii U only? What about 3DS? If it was on 3DS i might have got it but to be honest i'm much wanting Little Big Planet 3 and Ratchet and Clank instead.
Maybe if you're lucky Sony will rip it off on Vita.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Least then it'd be on a console with a fully featured online infrastructure available to it... which is the kind of thing that is essential in a multiplayer title.
Says somebody who has never played an online Nintendo game.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
I've played several, even a couple on Wii U!!! Not my Wii U obviously, but just there on saturday evening I was playing Mario Kart 8 online for instance. Several fairly basic features like party chat aren't there at all... in fact, I didn't notice any voice chat at all during gameplay in MK8, so I'm not sure if there's any in the game at all. It was basically no different an online experience from Mario Kart 7 on 3DS on the whole.
Sounds like you reporting second hand inaccurate information. Same as usual.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Which part is inaccurate?
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I'm not a fan of mountains of DLC. I guess Tomb Raider and Last of Us are two examples of acceptable DLC whereas EA are particularly bad with this. Unfortunately it's the way things have gone but I'd rather less DLC
Beazi's avatar