Hands on With Nintendo's latest titles: Smash Bros, Kirby and Sonic Boom

We were going to post this tomorrow, but it's been such a quiet news day that we have nothing else to post. So let's have a look at some more Nintendo games.

Super Smash Bros WiiU/3DS (Nintendo Post E3 Tour)

Nintendo’s fan favourite brawler Super Smash Bros makes a welcome return not only to the WiiU but also to the powerful portable 3DS. Both of these games offer the same crazy battles as before, a series where personally I have at times little idea of where I am let alone what I am doing with button bashing seeming to be the best option to win (I won a t-shirt this way against seemingly seasoned fans).

Both games offer a decent compliment of characters to fight as and against, each with their own unique attacks, though to keep the games fairly balanced each of them have the same ways to achieve special moves with directions and buttons used in the same way for each character, a nice change from the usual complexities of multiple characters in other 2D fighting games and one that keeps this game approachable to all types of players.

Where the WiiU hosts huge characters and smooth animation across a series of ever evolving arenas the 3DS takes a slightly different approach, having the same maniacal gameplay but this time the characters being a little smaller which at first can be very hard to make out the action on the already small portable screen. A big surprise however is that Super Smash Bros 3DS has an additional mode, Smash Run. Here you choose a character and then partake in a huge maze like beat-em-up, running on and around platforms whilst battling a huge assortment of baddies, all the while picking up powerups that once the timer runs out you are then pitched against a final boss.

Aside from the obvious graphical differences there is very little to separate the two games in terms of the actual gameplay which in its own right is an outstanding achievement and again I look forward to see more of what this game has to offer over the coming months.

Kirby WiiU (Nintendo Post E3 Tour)

The little pink ball returns to the WiiU, this time using the graphical powers of the console to create a jaw dropping beautiful claymation world, with it feeling like you are watching an Aardman Animation film rather than a computer game. Though the action is all on the TV screen I found myself playing more via the GamePad as you are a lot more interactive with it this time around tapping Kirby on screen continuously to move him forward, holding him with the stylus to power up an attack and also drawing lines on the GamePad that then appear in the game world for Kirby to roll across.

With the demo only offering a short level, this already looks like it will be yet another great Kirby platform game to have on your WiiU console.

Sonic Boom WiiU/3DS (Nintendo Post E3 Tour)

Another year and another Sonic the Hedgehog game, but is this the game to remind us why we adore our spiky friend or is it yet another missed opportunity; having a decent hands on with the 3DS version I have mixed feelings. On a positive note the game has taken a classic 2D platform approach which is the trend for the 3DS versions (the WiiU is a 3D platformer), offering the usual who’s who of characters and enemies for Sonic and his pals to deal with. This time around though you are able to quick switch between characters and use their individual skills to unlock areas and progress through the world with Sonic unleashing an electric current to remove shields from certain enemies and also blast through walls, Tails can use thermals to fly to higher areas and Knuckles can use his hands to dig into the ground to find secret tunnels.

On the negative side, the game world already felt samey even after a short play through, with it being quite easy to be fooled into thinking you have been somewhere before plus the actual end game of the level was very hard to work out, leaving me to just wander around as I switched characters trying different things out. The largest crime and one that happens far too often is that Sonics legendary speed has yet again been reduced, with him moving around like he is in treacle.

With only a short play though on offer there is plenty to get excited about and I was enjoying the character swap puzzle element so here’s hoping for more of the same in the final product.

Word by Ash Buchanan.

You'll be able to read the third and final part of our Nintendo post E3 hands on tomorrow.

Edited On 30 Jun, 2014

Comments
Not overly fussed about Sonic, but Smash Bros is going to be stellar, and Kirby is always a good bet.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
Smash bros looks stunning, sonic could be okay the art style is different at least but only time will tell.
shiny miller's avatar
shiny miller 2 years ago
Agree with Gloria - Kirby and Smash Bros look great, not bothered about Sonic.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Is earthworm Jim, Crash Bandicoot and Rayman in Smash Bros or am I misinterprenting the pic
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Smash Bros has no appeal to me... Sonic hell yeah.. Kirby just looks like mario with a different skin.
Just noticed that in the pic Bindania, obviously some fan roster, shopto need to double check images before using them. You're a weirdo Tootell, Sonic has had so many chances to be great in the last decade but has failed on almost every occasion. Sega should sell him to Nintendo, they are the only company that would do him justice.
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I wasn't really a big fan of Super Smash Bros. I played it on the GameCube and it was OK... but not my thing. However I loved Kirby when I was younger, one of my favourite games on my Game Boy all those years ago. How about Jelly Boy that was one of the funniest games ever, Jelly Boy turning into a hammer etc. I'm getting all nostalgic this afternoon
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
thats a shame would loved to have played as Earthworm Jim. I dont know who owns the rights to Earthworm Jim surprised there hasnt been a kickstarter to bring it back.
Considering the treatment Nintendo have given Pacman and Megaman in this version anything is possible in the future.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I agree with Gloria Sonic has had far too many chances and still cant get it right. I will pass on the 3DS smash bros but I am getting the Wii U version.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Sonic Generations was a good entry in the series, I wish they'd just continue games in the vein instead of always looking for redesigns and gimmicks. Bindiana, more Earthworm Jim would be brilliant, I just recently got the HD remake on PS3 and it reminded me of how enjoyable it was, it even had new levels and co-op. Don't supppose you ever watched the cartoon, did you? :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
The cartoon was great. Also did you know that the voice actor for Earhtworm Jim is Homer Simpson
Generations was great, the closest he's been to being the old Sonic we all know and love. Sega are messed up though, they ignored all the positive feedback and went in another direction.
Lewis 2 years ago
Really excited for Super Smash Bros. and Kirby looks cool, too. I'll have Smash on day one and I'll probably get Kirby early as well. However, Sonic Boom looks really dull. I can't understand how Sega keeps going wrong with the series. After a bad run of home console games since Sonic Adventure 2, Colours was good and Generations was even better, but then Sonic Lost World took a step back and this looks worse.
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Yeah, Dan Castellanata :D The cartoon was truly insane but a great watch. Shame they never released it on DVD over here. And, I'm inclined to agree with you there, Gloria. If people love something, give them more of it!! I miss short, chubby Sonic. He was the best.
Question: Want did you like more in Generations? Modern Sonic or Classic Sonic? I think I will pass on the 3DS Sonic Boom until I learn more but I am looking forward to the WiiU Sonic Boom, All previews I have seen and read point to it being a Jak&Daxter game with a Sonic skin
This is why I love this place, I've been back less than a day and I've already lost track of how many people agree with me ;)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Several previews have said Sonic Boom on Wii U is beyond awful, and I've no reason to argue, but I'll keep an eye on the 3DS version for now as it's at least coming from a developer who is good at their job. "the powerful portable 3DS" - Hmm... that's the first time I've seen this qualification used for the 3DS. How odd.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I preferred Classic Sonic in Generations.
Not as odd as you kevin ;)
Lewis 2 years ago
@Loli-Nox-Tan I preferred Modern Sonic, personally. I just loved the sense of speed in the 3D levels. @PrometheusFan The Wii U version really looks like a lost cause at this point. I'm really not sure if the 3DS version will be any better to be honest, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Modern Sonic for me
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
Aww, but rotund, classic Sonic is so adorable!!
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 2 years ago
I love Classic Sonic but I guess that Modern Sonic was OK for the two Dreamcast games and Generations. I kind of disagree with Classic Sonic though on Generations, I don't know why but he just felt a bit floaty but it's the best attempt including the god damn awful Sonic (they said it was 4 but I don't recognise it) game. Why don't they just strip it back to 2D, make it a straight forward platformer without level selects and like the old games Sonic 1 - either have 3 large acts in a zone with a battle with Robotnik at the end or like Sonic 3 & Knuckles with 2 acts and a "sensible" mini battle at the end of Act 1. God I should go work for Sega
Lewis 2 years ago
I wouldn't mind if Sonic returned to 2D. I really like the idea of the games being in 3D but they rarely execute them correctly these days, so if he needs to go back to 2D to make the games good again, so be it. My main issue is the amount of characters they shoehorn into the games. Just give me Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman and leave all of Sonic's other "friends" out of it.