Squids Odyssey to offer cross-buy deal on 3DS/Wii U; Could others follow?

Nintendo could be set to introduce cross-buy, allowing gamers to own a game on 3DS that they bought on Wii U or vice versa for free.

Apparently Squids Odyssey will be the first game to utilise this system and although Nintendo has not officially announced anything at this time, upcoming strategy game Squids Odyssey will offer you a free copy of the game on Wii U if you buy it on the 3DS, although this deal will only be available through the European eShop and you have to buy the 3DS version first.

Do you think other games could follow? This is certainly something that could help push Wii U to the public, don't you think?

Edited On 01 Jul, 2014

Comments
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I think this could be a great way of using their 3DS user base to help promote the Wii U. Also, with Sony increasingly offering PS3/PS4/Vita cross-buys, it makes good business sense. I'd be surprised if Nintendo elects not to make further use of this tactic.
Lewis 2 years ago
It's about time they utilise this feature! Sony's doing it and Nintendo should follow suit. There's no reason why eShop and Virtual Console games shouldn't be available on both platforms once they've been purchased.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Yep, there's zero reason this shouldn't have been implemented with Virtual Console titles at the very least from day one. I would say it's good that Nintendo are learning, but there's no sign that this is anything other than a one time promotion yet, and it's not even a two way deal either, like actual cross-buy titles are.
Hopefully this goes well and we can see the Virtual consoles be universal. Kevin there was are reason they couldn't do this from Day One, there wasn't a universal account system in place
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
It would be nice if they did have the option to play the virtual console games on the 3DS, we can only hope one day they might do it.
If it does come around I wonder what they will do for the people who already bought something like Mario Bros 3 on U & 3DS
Lewis 2 years ago
Now that we do have linked NNID's across both consoles, I would hope they're working on a cross-buy and a cross-play system. I have over 20 VC games so I'd love to be able to play them at home and on the go.
Tbh I couln't care less about Cross-Buy, it's just about adding more value for me
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Personally I would just prefer the games to be on the 3DS as its where I would be more than likely to play them.