EA to focus on mobile rather than Vita and 3DS

EA has said that when it comes to portable devices, it is not planning extensive support for 3DS and Mobile and is instead focusing its efforts on mobile and tablets.

"We were supportive of both of those platforms," Peter Moore said of 3DS and Vita in a recent interview with Gamesindustry.

"But then you've got finite resources and you've got teams that say, 'We really think that two or three years from now, these are the platforms that people are going to be consuming games on.' And you look at the quality of what you can do on phones and tablets.

"Sometimes strategy is not about what you do but what you don't do, and you have to make some hard calls when you've got only so many people. To my point, we've got to be planning for FY 17 and 18. Do you think the Vita and 3DS are going to be around in some shape or fashion by then on a scale level?"

What do you think of Moore's words. Is mobile really the way to go. Sure it's going to be capable of providing great graphics, but it seems developers have yet to find a way to provide a great gameplay experience on these devices, with most struggling to find a way for tough controls to work well.

Let us know your thoughts below.

Edited On 02 Jul, 2014

Comments
I wasn't aware that EA ever really supported 3DS or Vita to any real extent.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
FIFA is the only game on Vita I can think of not many more on 3DS Sims being one then struggling.
Lred's avatar
Lred 2 years ago
Both FIFA and the Sims were rubbish on the Vita and 3DS respectively. In FIFA's case they pretty much released the same game 2 years running with a new skin. Way to go EA your support will be sorely missed. Is it just me or are most of the mobile games great for 5 mins then the control scheme just gets in the way. Be they are unresponsive or just cover the screen? Give me a controller that i can sit my phone in and play plus my PSN/XBoxlive support and it would be a viable option.
Not that I care but EA can shove their games
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
With Vita being an irrelevance in the west and the 3DS being in decline (After never really seeing any notable successes for western third parties at it's peak), I can see the sense in going all in on mobile instead given the growth in that sector.
To add on to the point that Kevin just made. I don't have any western games in my DS/3DS/PSP/PSV collection
Actually I lie, I do have Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for 3DS
Well I had. Can't seem to find it right now
I had that for a while, got rid of it though, not got many 3DS games that aren't Nintendo, just Monkeyball, Pacman & Galaga, Ridge Racer, DoA and the 2 RE's.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Such a non story as all I can see for 3DS from EA is FIFA 12, 13, 14, Sims 3 and pets and need for speed the Run. Fot Vita all there is FIFA Madden and Most wanted. Its not like they really tried on any of the handhelds.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
EA's presence on Vita/3DS was previously pretty neglible, true, but it's worth keeping in mind that they always had a pretty steady stream of titles on the predecessors to both those handhelds (On PSP they had multiple entries for every major IP they own except Battlefield anyways, can't really recall much about their DS output beyond some Sims titles), so them abandoning that sector of the market completely as is seemingly implied here is still kind of noteworthy, even when they've done so little within it the past few years.
EA are away chasing Whales
Pyro Stick's avatar
Pyro Stick 2 years ago
If they want to go mobile only then fine, they are going to be their own downfall. They should be worrying about how they are going to stay around until 2018
da_kerr's avatar
da_kerr 2 years ago
I think EA just prefer the idea of bleeding people dry with micro transactions on superficial mobile games than trying to craft something unique from the ground up.