Sony explains why The Last of Us Remastered exists

The Last of Us is coming to PS4 very soon thanks to a brand new remastered edition, but why?

Well, SCEE Product Manager, Josh Walker explained as much to MCV, saying that a lot of people will be playing it for the first time.

“The Last of Us is considered one of the most significant titles of the last console generation, winning countless awards. It would be almost unfair for all our new fans to never play a game like this,” he said.

“We’ve looked at PSN data and can see a huge proportion of PS4 players haven’t experienced The Last of Us yet.

“This is quite indicative of the shift in the market and the many players who have migrated from competitive platforms that we’re glad to welcome to PlayStation.”

The Last of Us: Remastered runs at 1080p and 60FPS. It includes all the PS3 DLC and will arrive on August 1.

You can pre-order below.

Edited On 07 Jul, 2014

Comments
I'm sure the piles of cash they make from it are completely incidental.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
Doesn't matter whether it's The Last of Us, Halo Master Chief Collection, they know games like this will sell LOADS and at the end of the day it's all about the money. If you've enjoyed the games in the past and will enjoy a second run they why not, for those that missed them first time around, even better. Having said that, I just hope "Re Mastered" editions don't become a trend, instead of developers putting the effort and time into something new they think "Well that was a popular title, lets just do a re mastered version" ..
It's a bit late to hope against them becoming a trend, they already are a trend.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
just don't buy it...
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
well when I heard of the remaster of this, I sold my ps3 version and got 29 quid, pre paid for this one on here for 35 quid, so for 6 quid ive got the remastered upgrade plus all the dlc, I never got round to doing left behind and that's 11.99 on psn so by upgrading ive saved money
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
Funny I saw an article posted this morning about remastered games .. "Are Remastered Re-Releases Getting Out of Hand?" .... http://n4g.com/news/1544283/are-remastered-re-releases-getting-out-of-hand
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Remastered titles are easy money, so it only makes sense to do them (And everyone is doing them, lets face it.), especially when in cases like The Last of Us you're able to identify a significant portion of your current userbase never got to play it on PS3. I'm just surprised that Sony haven't gone ahead and done PS4 versions of all their first party output from last year, as pretty much all of it was buried under PS4 anticipation. Puppeteer was a particularly tragic casualty of this.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Also, while I do somewhat agree with the suggestion that re-releases are going a little overboard right now, it's not like anyone is forced to buy them.
Nobodies arms are being twisted, but when the biggest releases of the year for new consoles are rereleases then the consumer isn't given much choice in the matter.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
The biggest releases of the year on new consoles are multiplatform titles. Same as it always has been.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I personally still don't think it is worth the price they are charging for it for me as I have already played it. I will get it eventually just when it comes closer to the £20 mark.
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 2 years ago
I never played TLoU before, so this is a great way for me to try it. If you have already played it then nobody is forcing you to buy it. And in no way is this one of the biggest games to release this year, I would consider the GTA rerelease to be though. Sony could also have delayed the last of us to become PS4 exclusive, and nobody would have moaned then.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I think this will sell well as there could potentially be quite a few people who have gone from Xbox 360 to PS4 so they haven't played the game before. I don't see the point in re releasing multi platform games but can see the reason behind releasing firstly party exclusives (within reason).
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I can see the reasoning behind it, maybe if I played the multiplayer more I would have been into picking it up sooner like with GTA but not just for the single player.