PS4 is top selling console in U.S for June

Last Month's NPD Sales results for the U.S are in, showing PS4 as the top selling hardware for the month.

Microsoft revealed that thanks to it's own price drop sales of the Xbox One more than doubled, however despite this the PS4 still outsold the Xbox One yet again, giving it six consecutive months ahead of the Xbox One.

The good news continues for Sony as PlayStation 4 was number one for next generation software sales, with PS4 leading two of the top three titles. PlayStation was also number one in combined home console hardware sales (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3) for the month.

As far as software goes Watch Dogs led the way, with the PS4 version being the most popular. Mario Kart 8 did well for Nintendo, coming in at number two for the month selling more than 885,000 Units in the U.S. in first five weeks. Minecraft landed at number three, no doubt in part to the PS3 release.

Here's the chart.

Software:

1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
3. Minecraft (360, PS3)
4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 18 Jul, 2014

Comments
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Xbox One is in a pretty bad place right now. Price cuts, revised SKU, all those policy changes... all seemingly for naught, as in the software charts not only are XB1 versions of games selling less than PS4 versions, they're also selling less than Xbox 360 versions... and as if that wasn't enough, XB1 hardware numbers were only just barely ahead of Wii U hardware numbers for the month. With no major system seller exclusives on the horizon until late 2015, it's probably going to struggle for quite some time.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Really because I reckon that both Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 could do quite well for it especially being quite close together. Also the amount of people that will buy one just for the untouched Halo 2 multiplayer when the Halo collection comes out, granted i dont think any of that will help them catch sony just now but they havent even been out for 1 year yet a lot can change.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Considering PS4 still outsold Xbox One the month Titanfall came out, I just can't see it catching PS4 for a while. Sony has some pretty big exclusives of its own, such as The Last of Us, DriveClub etc. Plus Destiny and others will no doubt boost PS4 sales more than Xbox One. Just the way it seems to be going at the moment. Not sure MS can change the momentum to be honest.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I definitely dont see it happening any time soon if even at all. However it still does give them something to work towards which will ultimately be better for gamers.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
didnt yesterday Microsoft announce the Entertainment side is having some severe cuts so soon it may just be a games console again and not an entertainment centre.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Yeah, though the stuff they already had in development will still be made. Which is what people wanted was it not?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Really because I reckon that both Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 could do quite well for it especially being quite close together. Also the amount of people that will buy one just for the untouched Halo 2 multiplayer when the Halo collection comes out," - Well, Forza Horizon 1 wasn't exactly a huge seller to begin with, and the sequel also being on 360(Which is still moving software better than Xbox One) will seriously dull the appeal of the Xbox One version in itself, as to Sunset Overdrive... well... that's a new IP, classically those don't sell consoles. Plus, Insomniac have made a lot of games in their time, and not a single one has ever been a console seller it's worth keeping in mind. Also, nostalgia for the multiplayer in Halo 2 is only going to hold any serious appeal for the kind of Microsoft fan that is already going to have bought an Xbox One by now. I don't doubt Halo collection will sell big numbers, but I don't believe it's going to have any significant effect on hardware sales.
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 2 years ago
Sure, Sunset Overdrive and FH2 will help sales a bit, but Halo:mcc will sell more than those two combined. Driveclub's a bit of an odd one as it's free on PS+(minus a few cars and tracks I know), LBP3 will probably be big as usual, but being on PS3 aswell won't shift ps4's. The PS4's best games atm are its better performing muli-plat games.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I see what you mean but apparently Forza Horizon 2 will be different on each but we will have to wait to see how true that is. I know it is usually bug sequels that sell consoles but if anyone was still undecided and looking at each consoles exclusive for just the end of the year the xbox one would win out. They will probably do another bundle with the Halo collection to try and boost sales. Also is Little Big planet this year I thought it was next.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"but if anyone was still undecided and looking at each consoles exclusive for just the end of the year the xbox one would win out" - I disagree completely. Xbox One has no more exclusive titles than the PS4 does coming out for the rest of 2014. In fact if you wanted to make it purely about numbers then there are a lot more exclusives releasing on PS4 (Though whether most of them make it outside Japan this year is touch and go still), in addition to numerous other games that are releasing on PS4 but not Xbox One this year alone. It's a bit of a moot point though to be honest, as the only system selling titles on either machine for the rest of the year are all multiplatform games, and seeing as PS4 has already firmly established itself as the go-to console for multiplatform games right now it doesn't take a genius to see how things are going to go.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
I honestly think at the end of the day it s coz the PS4 just concentrated on the gaming, not the current lack of exclusives just the gaming machine itself, XBOX ONE went a bit wayward with the all in one stuff, some love it, but most of us are here for the gaming, a year away and both will have loads of exclusives, I did expect xbox to be a beast for power but things went a different way so I chose the ps4 solely for the machines power, ill get an xbone cheap in future for exclusives
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
lol, didn't see some of the above comments, didn't know MS may be scaling some entertainment features back
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Having both Xbox ONE and PS4 now, I am struggling to find games to play on the PS4. I have Infamous Second Son, got Strider free with PS+, plan to get Resogun, may get Knack when it is about a tenner or may be free with PS+ before then, same goes for Bound by flame, which if I did not get it on 360 I would have gotten it on PS4 . Next week will get Oddworld. I am not getting Last of Us as have that on PS3. I will get Drive club free with PS+ but will not buy into it, unless it is awesome. With Xbox ONE I have Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Powerstar Golf, Lococycle, Max, Halo Spartan Assault, Crimson Dragon, plan to get Zoo Tycoon at some point. This year is Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo Collection. Xbox ONE offers far more gaming - PS4 = 7 (assuming I get Knack and Bound by Flame, and if you count Driveclub being free with PS+ also Strider which would have gotten on Xbox ONE if the PS4 version was not free first) vs Xbox ONE = 13
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
Oh God! not this again............
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
Lol, I was waiting for the fanboy to wander in the room and throw up all over the discussion.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
/Xbox ONE offers far more gaming/ Here, have this link I provided last time you said Xbox One has more games http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_Games_vs_Xbox_One_Games Try reading it this time
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Facepalm as usual how can you include Lococycle and crimson dragon in your argument and then ignore all PS4 indie games.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Try reading my post. The 7 games I listed are the PS4 games I will have total, the 13 Xbox ONE games are exclusives only, does not include the multi-plat games. Why do you always read what I say as Xbox ONE has more games than PS4 period, and not specific to me. I am not buying Outlast (which is now on Xbox ONE), Warframe, DCUO, Planetside 2, FF XIV etc as would rather play them on PC
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
/ Why do you always read what I say as Xbox ONE has more games than PS4 period, and not specific to me/ Because you didn't say "for me" you said "Xbox ONE offers far more gaming".
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Why do you keep coming back when you say you are leaving?
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
The indie games on PS4 I have already on PC. Crimson Dragon is only available on Xbox ONE, and so was Lococycle to begin with, but is now on Steam, but with PS4 they were on PC first
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
The whole initial post is saying what I have or will have, and not what there is in total on PS4 and Xbox ONE, if it was for general then I would have included Killzone and Titanfall, which I am not getting as they are not my kind of game.
Yawn
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Try reading my post. The 7 games I listed are the PS4 games I will have total, the 13 Xbox ONE games are exclusives only, " 6 of the games you listed are/will be available on other platforms.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
When you actually look at the released figures, all the consoles are at a healthy point really in terms of sales in America. Apart from the Vita of course. PS3/360 are running down. The rest are all exceeding 140k per month which is healthy enough. Taking in to account console sales are up on last year when last year had TLOU, Animal Crossing, Skyrim: Legendary Edition etc. It's good news all around.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
If you choose to ignore how much lower sales of certain platforms have been previously perhaps. This month saw severe spikes in sales for both Wii U and Xbox One(Both were selling about half as much last month) as a result of Mario Kart 8 releasing and price cuts respectively. "Healthy" would be maintaining such a level of sales consistently over a period of time, which thus far neither of those consoles has shown themselves as being capable of accomplishing.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
I said they are at a healthy point. I did not say they were continuosly healthy. If they sold at the same point every month, everybody would be happy.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
When compared to the PS4 the XB1 was always going to struggle, price difference at launch, the terrible PR Microsoft had before launch, Kinect, ignore the PS4 and the XB1 is doing better than the 360 did in the same time period so considering what I've mentioned I don't think it's doing bad. I've seen mentioned above comments about multiplatform games running better on PS4, check Eurogamer and a few others and see comparisons, they have said games like Thief, Assassins Creed ( COD until it was patched ) had slightly better pixels on PS4 but a better framerate on XB1 so which is the best performer? lol, having both consoles I'm struggling to see these so called differences but fanboys do love to examine every minute detail! Even though my local GAME say the PS4 still sells slightly better the XB1 is doing better since Kinect was dropped and now it will be about the games so take your pick.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
To be fair, Digital Foundry has pretty much sounded out that multiplats perform better on PS4, but gaming is so much advanced most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If fps and p's worried me so much I'd be a PC gamer.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"they have said games like Thief, Assassins Creed ( COD until it was patched ) had slightly better pixels on PS4 but a better framerate on XB1 so which is the best performer?" - PS4 is. Consistently. AC4 never had a better framerate on XB1 at any point, Thief is a fundamentally shoddily made game on every platform and it has been shown that the framerate is equally inconsistent on both PS4/XB1 since it released and in the case of COD Ghosts, the PS4 version wasn't properly optimised at launch and suffered juddering frames due to the framerate spiking above 60fps at times. If you need real indicators of the differences with these two platforms you need look no further than titles like Tomb Raider and Murdered, where the XB1 version runs at half the framerate of the PS4 version. Also, the difference between HD resolutions of 720p and 1080p represents a lot more than 'slightly better pixels', as does PS4 versions of games regularly having more/better implemented visual effects and textures... but such casual dismissals have of course become par for the course for Microsoft fans these days, in a complete reversal from attitudes of only a couple of years ago.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" ignore the PS4 and the XB1 is doing better than the 360 did in the same time period" - Initially this was true, but it is not any longer. Launch aligned the XB1 is now trailing XB360 for the same time period. " the XB1 is doing better since Kinect was dropped" - That's interesting, as all retailer charts for June showed completely non-existent demand for the Kinectless XB1 SKU.