PS4 firmware update coming soon *out now*

Update 2: The new firmware is out now, although as you can see below, it's not very exciting. Still, it only takes a few seconds to download, so that's good, right?

Update: It appears that the latest system update is only a minor one.

"PS4 system software update 1.74 is coming soon, improves stability of some software," according to a tweet from Sony.

It's coming soon.

Original: We may be updating this story later today by the sounds of things, but Sony has said that news about the next PS4 firmware update will arrive very soon.

According to Fred Dutton, EU PSBlog manager, we are going to be getting news about an upcoming system update for PlayStation 4 “very soon,” although he didn't reveal much more than that.

It's a bit of a non-news story we know, but we thought we'd let you know that Sony hasn't forgotten about improving the PS4's features.

Edited On 23 Jul, 2014

Comments
ade0410's avatar
ade0410 2 years ago
Seems the majority of updates for the PS4 just say 'improves stability' rather than adding anything new. Something the Xbox One continues to do each month.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I just wish that both would have the ability to sort the games into folders.
Ontheballcity!'s avatar
Ontheballcity! 2 years ago
I'm not a fanboy of any console, I have a PS4 and Xbox One and enjoy them the same amount, but after a very dodgy start, Microsoft is kicking Sonys bottom with their monthly updates that actually ADD and improve the console. Sony are really lagging behind in terms of updates.
Nintendo win on the Update front. You can know use the Wiimote to navigate the e-Shop, how cool is that?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
"I'm not a fanboy of any console but..." always comes across like "I'm not racist but..."
Ontheballcity!'s avatar
Ontheballcity! 2 years ago
Yes, it's completely the same as "i'm not racist, but..." you moron.
I'm not a kangaroo, but I do like jumping up and down ;)
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 2 years ago
It's sad that Sony went from New stuff patch to Stability patch. Hopefully Sony will add 3D Blu-ray that people cry about, since Microsoft does in August.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" Yes, it's completely the same as "i'm not racist, but..." you moron." - It's an unfortunately chosen analogy on DW's part, that's true, but he's not entirely wrong that both statements boil down to "I'm not *this thing*, but... here's a statement that certainly makes it sound like I am.", with only the subject matter differing between them.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Seems the majority of updates for the PS4 just say 'improves stability' rather than adding anything new. Something the Xbox One continues to do each month" - Worth keeping in mind that Xbox One needed those updates a lot more than PS4 did initially though, as it was way behind in terms of feature-set at launch. In fact, I'm having trouble identifying any major feature advantages that Xbox One even has over PS4 at this point in time despite the frequency of updates.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
PS4 could have a Snap feature, it is pretty nifty having game playing plus another app on screen at same time. Once experienced on Xbox ONE, it is annoying not having a similar feature on PS4. Mind you I do not have an adequate mobile to access the internet so is more worth it for me. Also Xbox ONE is getting 3D Blu Ray support, I thought PS4 had it but guess not, only PS3. Timed Challenge Achievements are also cool - it keeps you coming back to playing games. Also being able to use external USB HDDs is a plus, as I have no intent on messing around with swapping a bigger HDD in the PS4 - higher risk to data corruption. Interesting article: http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/18803/article/five-apps-and-features-ps4-needs
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
The snap feature is horrible and doesnt work properly in theory its a good but last week tried to watch world cup final and play titanfall and it was useless as the tv bit was so small it makes is pointless.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"PS4 could have a Snap feature" - It probably could, if significant system resources that should be used for games were diverted to manage such a feature... but I seriously doubt you'd find a lot of people eager to see PS4 games compromised in the visuals/performance department like they are on Xbox One in order to add a feature that is essentially worthless for gaming.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Also being able to use external USB HDDs is a plus, as I have no intent on messing around with swapping a bigger HDD in the PS4 - higher risk to data corruption." - The "data corruption" bit is bollocks (Unless you don't know what you're doing while changing hard drives of course) and USB connected hard drives are slower to access data than internal hard drives. Being unable to install an SSD in Xbox One is a massive drawback imo. One that letting you use USB drives doesn't come close to making up for.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
The snap feature is mainly best used when stuck in a game, and want some help from youtube / website, or if you are grinding achievements and want to see the progress. Playing games and watching TV is not ideal, maybe music shows are more viable. I do tend to transfer programmes off the Sky box to my DVD HDD recorder, and usually time when ads appear and then switch, having it on the screen is a bit more handy as can pause the DVD HDD recorder on the ads without stopping game / switching channel. I have not heard that the snap features uses up console resources, only the Kinect does. I have to admit that the Xbox not being able to install bigger HDDs is a drawback, but if the PS4 gave the option it would give it more options, and would have the best of both worlds. The external HDDs would be used mainly for storage, and use the internal HDD for proper use. Whilst a one off careful swap to changing in a bigger HDD is OK, constantly swapping HDDs in and out can lead to wear and tear on the connections. I used to do it for the PC, just get HDDs for storage purposes, and buy internal HDDs and swap them in and out of a USB HDD caddy. Eventually it causes more data corruption than using dedicated USB HDDs.
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 2 years ago
I'm sure snap can be useful sometimes, but its not exactly hard to use a laptop/tablet if you are achievement or trophy hunting. I personally hope they add a BT sport app if possible, and keep novelty features to a minimum so that they can free up more RAM to developers.