Destiny Beta now opened to all

Bungie has announced that it will open the Destiny beta to all and you won't even need a code, just a PS Plus or Xbox LIVE subscription.

The beta was previously restricted to those who pre-ordered the game or who received a promotional code, however Bungie has decided to ramp up numbers ahead of its stress test on Saturday, which will see everyone who logs in on that day receive a reward.

Edited On 25 Jul, 2014

Comments
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 2 years ago
Is there a time set you must log in on sat to receive the reward or just play on that day ?
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
I think it's any time although it might be from the afternoon/evening onwards to sync with American time...
9pm our timing according to a message I got when I signed in last night
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
It's 9pm GMT, but currently we are on BST so it will be 10pm Saturday. Hopefully lots of people will sign in to give maximum stress on bungie's servers. Would rather it crashed on Saturday than launch day.
Kaysar 2 years ago
Ah, my bad. It is indeed 10pm. And let's be honest, it's probably going to crash on release day anyway
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
This is bad news for people who pre ordered and activated there beta code from shopto as they cant cannot cancel there pre order if they didn't like/enjoy the beta, i think shopto should allow customers who are in this situation cancel there pre order, now that the beta isn't pre order only exclusive and is open to everyone and no i am not affected by this as i used amazon, i am just thinking of others who are possibly stuck with a pre ordered game they no longer want to purchase.
Kaysar 2 years ago
To be fair, I doubt there's many (if any) in such a situation. Most who pre-ordered for the beta will have been wanting the game regardless
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I hate it when they do that. They can not say they will make the Beta for all as otherwise people would not preorder, which is why I hate it when they do that. Choosing the PS4 version to Beta was a good choice then, as would not have played the Xbox ONE beta any more, but got to play the PS4 beta last week. The Xbox ONE version is now the top preorder here, and even the Xbox 360 version has entered the top 10, and it only had the boost this week, no doubt people buying here just to get beta codes, as elsewhere has now run out.
Kaysar 2 years ago
Why? It's their beta. We've had a week's worth of beta gaming and anyone jumping on board now will get less than 48 hours. I genuinely don't see why this is an issue.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
PS4 owners have had a weeks worth, Xbox owners have not, and I have not had time to play any of it since Tue when servers came back on, so now makes no difference to preorder for code. I am sure Xbox owners who have jobs are in same situation, leaving the playtime to the weekend.
Cry me a river.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Should have just played the PS4 version Tony. It's awesome and it's much better than the Xbox One version according to tech analysis sites :)
Kaysar 2 years ago
*some* Xbox owners. And I know many who have been playing it. You're basically complaining because *you* as an individual couldn't play the beta in the time frame allotted. Do you complain if a game comes out on a Tuesday and you won't be able to play until Saturday because you're busy? Should games companies delay releasing games until you're free?
The Tuesday release day is stupid though.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
The way I did things all worked out FOR ME, I did choose PS4 and now get 360, ONE, and PS3 too, I am thinking of others. Kaysar you even complained why I did not choose Xbox ONE if I was getting the format, well glad I chose PS4 now. In future I may not bother preordering a game to get into beta for a code if they are going to pull these stunts, and out of principal I feel like cancelling the game, but will not as it will be cutting off my nose to spite my face. With every MMO release, they dish out beta codes for closed betas, and then do an open beta afterwards, here they have now turned a closed beta event into an open event, and have made preordering pointless
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I have a job and uni to do and still managed to play it on the xbox one and PS4. Prometheus you dont need the tech analysis sites to tell you it will look better on the PS4 on the beta when even Bungie have said it is only 900p (i think) though the gameplay is the exact same on both. Also the final release will be 1080P on xbox one. I normally hate Tuesday release dates however I am off that week so its good for me.
Kaysar 2 years ago
I'm doing a Uni project for the whole month of September and it will severely impact on my Destiny gaming time. I'm going to complain and see if they'll push the release date back into October ;-)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
You should see what they can do I am sure they can :) wait is that why they moved Dragon Age 3 as well so you could have more time on Destiny.
Kaysar 2 years ago
I'm writing an angry email as we speak ;-)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
While you are at it as well you should also mention that they are screwing over the loyal fans on xbox that made them what they are. (hundreds of posts like that on the website)
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I still don't understand why Xbox owners are whining about the Destiny beta for. I just see it as timed exclusivity, which is becoming more regular in games nowadays. Doesn't Dragon Age have some timed exclusivity for Xbox? I don't see any Playstation owners moaning about that.
Yeah, I saw those, Zombie. Fanboys are as fanboys do
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
It just the nature of gamers these days just to moan. Didnt know that Dragon Age had exclusive content. I wouldnt say either set of fanboys are better than the other though if its not one thing its another.
Kaysar 2 years ago
No fanboy is, hence the naming of fanboy. You can be a fan, even a loyal one, without ever crossing the divide into fanboy territory. And I think it's human nature to moan and that we've been doing it just as much for most our history. Just now it's recorded on the internet and more people see/hear a moan
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
MS announced it during their E3 event. MS called it ''Premiere Content'' comes as an exclusive to Xbox One but no one knows yet what it actually is. I think its a timed exclusive though.
Kaysar 2 years ago
Has there been any word on if characters are being carried over into the game when released, or not? I assume they're going to be wiped like the Alphas were *wipes absent tear*
Kaysar 2 years ago
"“Is this the special surprise that you had planned for Saturday?” you ask. No. It’s not. Nor are these the permanent rewards we’ve promised." From the Bungie site. I assume that means the betas are going to be wiped
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I would assume they are wiped until said otherwise. Remember that now Spear though It will probably only be a month or so generally time DLC does not stay exclusive for long.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 2 years ago
bungie said after the alpha ended that beta chars wont carry and if you actually READ the tech sites you'll see the only difference on the beta was the 1080p vs 900p, the full game, comparing what they have off of IGN's video show total parity between the two.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 2 years ago
I disagree. I have a feeling they will carry over to release, why? Because, on Saturday you are getting a 'special' beta emblem and they have been giving out Legendary gear for winners during Iron Banner. What would be the point of any of the above if they are wiping the servers. Maybe, that is partly another reason to go open beta
XoKLOWNxKILLAoX's avatar
XoKLOWNxKILLAoX 2 years ago
According to Bungie, for the reward you need to log-in from 9pm GMT on 26 July (for the stress test)
Kaysar 2 years ago
I believe it's an emblem, Dave. And they could just give you a code for that. And XoKLOWN, it's 10pm our tme
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I ended up trying the Beta on all platforms, PS4, 360, Xbox ONE and PS3, and did not know before yesterday but your character carries over from Xbox 360 to Xbox ONE, or PS4 to PS3, and vice versa. Which is quite nifty if friends are still on PS3/Xbox 360 then can get PS4/Xbox ONE version later when they do. It can not carry over from Playstayion to Xbox or vice versa, if people want to move from Xbox 360 to PS4 for example. I think there will be a wipe after Beta ends, but the reward from playing yesterday at 2pm PDT will be tied to your Xbox / PSN account. I will not get 2 rewards for trying both Xbox 360 and Xbox ONE yesterday.