EA announces subscription service for Xbox One

EA has announced that it's "partnered with Microsoft" to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just £3.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon.

"At EA, we are always looking for new ways to make it easier for gamers to play more EA games across all platforms, and we are excited about what EA Access will offer to players on Xbox One."

EA Access membership unlocks The Vault, a collection of EA’s biggest games on Xbox One ready for you to download and play. During the beta, gamers will have unlimited access to FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2 and Battlefield 4, with more titles being added soon.

You'll be asked to pay just £3.99 a month and can then play these EA titles as much as you want with the click of a button.

EA Access members will also save 10% on purchases of EA digital content for Xbox One offered through the Xbox Games Store. From full digital-download titles like the upcoming Dragon Age Inquisition or NHL 15, to additional membership services such as Battlefield 4 Premium or even FIFA Ultimate Team points, it’s all 10% off for members.

Membership in EA Access also lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date. It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

You can join EA Access for just £3.99 per month, or you can purchase an annual membership for £20.00 per year on Xbox LIVE.

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 29 Jul, 2014

Comments
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
I think this could be cool, It could work out pretty sweet if your in to FIFA and stuff like that. I dont have a problem with EA as a brand (I know there is plenty outhere who do though)and at least they're trying something different. In the UK what a fiver a month sounds about rite???I dont play sports games at all but Dragon Age, Battlefield, Mirrors Edge on the way (soon soon soon please) Theyve already announced a new Need for Speed is back next year and im sure theres going to be plenty more on the way. Would they release 2 battlefields within a 12 month period???
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
There will probably be a rage over this but if it includes all EA games then that is a pretty decent idea.If it means i can pay $30 (probably £40 for us) and be able to play all the EA games then I would be tempted especially with Battlefield, PGA, Need for speed, NHL and possibly Mirrors Edge next year as well as the ones still to be announced and for this year then it sounds good.
b3ddo3's avatar
b3ddo3 2 years ago
ShopTo not sure why you're showing us prices EA gave GBP prices as well its £3.99 for a month and £20 for the year. If they put stuff like dragon age, need for speed etc gets included I would definitely purchase
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Even more impressed with the prices then, I was expecting us to pay more as usual.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 2 years ago
I wonder what "play these EA titles as much as you want" really means? Will games be available after membership expires? Also, pretty sure they'll do same thing for PS4 some time later. If not then M$ probably pupmping money into this project to make it worth EA's while...
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Hahahaha... oh wow... So now we've got individual publishers copying the PS+ model? That's going to be a mess when others start getting in on the act. Have fun juggling multiple monthly subscriptions, Xbox One owners, because that's what you've got to look forward to.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Considering EA have had the early season ticket for 3 years now I would hardly call it copying. Considering it just used to be early access to the sports games now you get these better benefits now this is a great deal.
On the face of it it seems like a good deal, all of EA's games for half the price of one game a year. There must be some strings attached, it makes no economic sense for EA otherwise.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Surely the Vault will be beneficial to EA if MS bankroll it? I mean getting the new sports games in there a month or two before the new ones come out to drum up interest, or for the next BF etc. Then when sales go down on Dragon Age they add that in so MS will pay to have that moved in for customers.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I got an email for the beta so will let you know how it is.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
I got invited to the beta. I paid for a month only ( £3.99 ) to see how it goes but already I've downloaded Battlefield 4 and Madden which has saved me a fortune. I download most of my games now so the prospect of saving 10% on games like Dragon Age etc is a bonus. I haven't read full details yet but got to say from what I have heard this scheme sounds really good.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
this is quite decent to be fair but i already own peggle 2 and pvz garden warfare on demand and i did use to own bf4 until i sold it and fifa which im not into footy games, only down side is not all ea games are included in this like ufc (not interested in) and nfs rivals which i wouldn't mind paying £4 to play it for a few weeks, if other publishers copy this model then it will only get better, i m just shocked that its ea.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
My guess games will come to it after 9 months to year after release, Madden 25 is good and all but madden 15 is out next month same with FIFA in 2 months time. But on the face of it £4 to have access to a game for a month seems a good deal.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
one interesting side note is they have announced Titanfall will have no part in the scheme whatsoever. there words are Titanfall is "excluded from all EA Access features"
iraniangiraffe's avatar
iraniangiraffe 2 years ago
I've got the beta for this and was all ready to give it a go as I've got some money in my M$ account, went to buy it and it won't let me use the money in my account for it at all. Wanted me to use my card only, (I've got some money on my account (over what was needed so want to use that first).