Nintendo reveals latest financials; Mario Kart 8 sells 2.82 million copies

Nintendo's revealed its latest financial results, confirming that Mario Kart 8 sold 2.82m copies in just over a month.

It seems that hardware wasn't boosted too much, with Nintendo selling 510,000 Wii U consoles and 4.39m units of Wii U software during the quarter, while 3DS sold 820,000 units and 8.57m units of software, all of which means an operating loss of 9.47 billion yen.

The Wii U has now sold 6.68m units worldwide, which is behind the sales of Sony's PS4 - a console that launched a year later.

Titles still to come from Nintendo this year include Super Smash Bros and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for 3DS, while Wii U has Amiibo Figures, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2 and Super Smash Bros. Wii U to look forward to, as well as third party titles from various publishers.

In related news, European Wii U owners will have to wait until 2015 for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

What are you looking forward to from Nintendo?

Edited On 30 Jul, 2014

Comments
As long as they're making money everything's cool. Shame about Captain Toad, but it's only been delayed till January, so only a months difference, be nice to have something for the new year anyway, January is usually a pretty barren month for games.
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
I am really looking forward to Bayonetta 2 as it comes with a revamped version of the original + specially crafted Nintendo themed costumes, which just seems amazing :)! Would have loved a Collector's edition of the game though, with a Jeanne figurine underneath a glassen bell! I would definitely get Bayonetta 3 on a next Nintendo home console as well. To be frank, already (figuratively, anyways!) w3tting my pants at the prospect of that :) :)! Also looking forward to those 3DS titles ShopTo alerted me to in June's Nintendo Direct i.e. that Namco Tales game, Final Fantasy Explorers, Monster Hunter 4 & Dragon Quest X. Once ShopTo alerted me to those, I was ecstatic that I had just gone out & bought the Yoshi 3DS XL. Also, can't wait for that Senran Kagura follow-up, Deep Crimson, to get released in Europe for the 3DS XL :) :)! Just praying they'll release the Nju Nju Dlx Pack (or New New Deluxe Pack) of the game in Europe too :( :)! Honestly, think I like the characters more than Naruto or Sailor Moon, for-that-matter! Would love it if Takara/Tamsoft were to announce a Tohshinden remake exclusively for the Wii U which were to contain a re-issue of the original Tohshinden with HD graphics as well :)! Also, I am so hoping to hear that the Virtual Console will be getting King of Fighters '94 Re-bout & maybe even, Jojo's All-Star Battle :)! & I might get Disney Infinity for the Wii U as the figurines are meant to be backwards compatible with Disney Infinity 2.0 for when I get that. Was going to get Naruto Revolution but I don't want it for the Last Gen consoles, so I'll be passing on that for now! If only they had made it for the Wii U, eh?!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Wow, that is quite an operating loss, but hardly surprising given how poor Wii U sales are and the decline in 3DS hardware. Things not looking too good here, and first party games starting to slip to next year is seriously the last thing they need to be letting happen seeing as there is no third party support left to pick up the slack. Rumours have been flying around for a while now that Smash Bros Wii U will be delayed until next year as well, and if that happens it's going to hit Nintendo HARD at Christmas.
'Rumours have been flying around for a while now that Smash Bros Wii U will be delayed until next year as well' Really? Where have they been flying around, apart from inside your head of course, because I can't find anything about it other than a hypothetical poll on the gamefaqs forums.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Note also that while the 3DS version has had a solid release date set for a while for October (Where originally it was supposed to be August I believe) there has been no solid time frame beyond "winter" given for the Wii U version. If it was releasing any time close to the 3DS version then it would have a date by now. Not saying it definitely won't release this year, just that there has been a lot of talk since E3 of the mounting warning signs it may not.
Oh right, you meant a bunch of knobs on NeoGAF talking out their arses, I thought you might have had some actual facts for a change.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" I thought you might have had some actual facts for a change." - You're right, I should have made it clear I was talking about a rumour, not a fact... oh wait...
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
Spot on, the neverending war of words between these two is tiresome. They both need to stop going "on & on & on & on & on & on & on about it." Same nonsense every week on the ukie charts articles too, giveashit.com
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" Also the loss sounds nowhere near as serious when you put it in English money, just under 54 and a half million, they can make that up easy. " - Make it up how, exactly? Nintendo aren't making a profit on Wii U hardware and 3DS' hardware profits were being eaten up by Wii U losses long before the decline in 3DS hardware sales became as notable as it has this year... and all signs are pointing to them being about to start spending on development of their new handheld/QOL hardware products, which is going to deepen losses if anything.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"“ Why is it going to hit Nintendo HARD? I thought the Smash series has never been a big seller. While we all agree the Wii U isn't doing as good as it deserves (Still put it down to public perception) there is no need to go on & on & on & on & on & on & on about it ”" - What? Smash Bros has always been a big seller, it's just never been their biggest seller (That's Mario Kart... usually). Also, I wasn't talking about Wii U initially you'll note, but the losses Nintendo reported, I only mentioned Wii U as an aside to that. Just so I'm clear though Nox, are you of all people lecturing me on mentioning the same thing over and over ad nauseum?
Wrong, Wii U is making a profit on each one sold now, has been for quite a while, maybe it wasn't reported on in your little world. I seem to remember Sony posting similar operating losses not so long ago and were considered to be doing great.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
Gotta say I would totally be on Gloria's side here if it wasn't for her tireless and sometimes overbiased championing of anything Nintendo on here. Nintendo will always have a special place in my heart and you wont catch me slating their offerings even though I'm not really into their current crop of games(I know a lot of people are, and that they're great games in their own right)... it just leaves a sour taste in the mouth when the lady in question appears on articles concerning the vita (for example, anything she's not interested in also applies) to make jokes about it, say its nothing interesting and say it has no games and then champions a console with even less games on offer, comical really
Good job I neither need or want your approval then.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Wrong, Wii U is making a profit on each one sold now, has been for quite a while, maybe it wasn't reported on in your little world. " - Well then, I'm sure you have a source showing this is now the case if it's been so widely reported, yes?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Okay then, I stand corrected. Seems whatever profit it is bringing in didn't help with offsetting losses much though, but I guess it'd really depend on when they managed to get the production costs down before we could say that for certain.
This is an awesome read. Welp I'm gonna go play the best Console on the market right now, the Wii U (Not my opinion, it's fact)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Nope. Definitely opinion I'm afraid. Nothing more.