Sony thinks EA Access isn't good value for PlayStation customers

Sony has responded to EA's new subscription service for Xbox One, saying that it doesn't feel that it represents good value for the PlayStation gamer.

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told Game Informer

“PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

EA's Access program costs £3.99 per month or £20 per year and offers discounts to members, access to various EA titles, pre-release access to game trials up to five days in advance. Discounts are also available on digital purchases.

What do you think? Do you think EA Access offers good value.

Edited On 30 Jul, 2014

Comments
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
Well, yeah, if we're talking figures like that. I just bought my 12 month Live subscription for £15, so I would have some spare change for something like this. Depends on the games really. Are we talking Battlefield 4 for Xbox One? Besides, S0ny should talk. Their Playstation Plus hardly offers value for money. The price reductions to buy games on Playstation Plus are LUDICROUS, you don't get to keep the free-to-play games once your subscription ends & why do you have to pay for a subscription anyway? You've bought their darn*d console, so as if you shouldn't get some perks with that. I mean, one could have got a gaming pc instead or in addition to a PS4 & be having a great time online :)! I mean as well, Nintendo isn't charging for access to online services as they rightfully presume you're already paying an ISP for internet access & their game discounts can be frightfully good & it leaves you with the opportunity to go out & buy some franchises of your own for their home console or the 3DS XL. Also, they just gave away Dr. Kawashima's brain training for free & that Mario Kart 8 promotion with the added free game, was spot on! Seems like a sound business model to me! Just a shame they aren't stimulating Tecmo to make Dead or Alive Special for the Wii U! While we're at it, I don't like many of these extra subscriptions they want you to stump up for these years. I'm already paying an ISP for online access!
SkySaber's avatar
SkySaber 2 years ago
I think it is rather naive and arrogant of Sony to assume what i think is good value or not. Surely give players the option at least.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
o_O wow, quite possibly the most misinformed comment I've ever seen on the internet...
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
@SkySaber, I agree with *your* comment though
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Yeah RTLF i usually just ignore fears bug long comments as they are usually nonsense. Though i do feel that having an option would be the best choice for customers rather than deciding for them.
Shepherd's avatar
Shepherd 2 years ago
Sony, how about letting the gamers decides what is value or not. You're all for the players/gamers etc, so show it. Something tells me this has nothing to do with Sony believing this is not good value.
lukas83's avatar
lukas83 2 years ago
At times I'm not always Sonys biggest fan with the decisions they make but realistically this is 100% the correct move to make. I mean honestly if Sony agreed to this what do you honestly think would happen next, you think Ubisoft wouldn't jump on board & do the same followed by everyone else. For once a company is for this first time looking after it's customers first & that's commendable no matter which way you look at it!!
What a silly comment, it's obviously bad value for a PS owner as they would get absolutely nothing out of it.
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
If you ask me, Sony & Microsoft have helped this to come about for charging for an 'added value subscription' (Live, PSN) in the first place. Is Sony intending to lead the way in scrapping paid subscriptions altogether & making download games prices simply affordable? I sure hope so, as that would really bolster my confidence in them!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Think most people are forgetting PS Now is just about to be released which will be a subscription service so they want to clear a path for that
Steven 2 years ago
Being with xbox live for 10 years and a massive fifa fan having now made the jump to a ps4 I agreed with skysaber but lukas83 makes a very good point and now I'm pleased Sony have made this stand, as for psn and xbox live fees I don't mind paying for a good service and you don't get something for nothing in life, when I made the jump from Microsoft to Sony apart from the ps4 being a better games machine imo the news they were charging for psn made my mind up, if it doesn't work well people won't pay
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
I sure hope you believe in that 'Steven', i.e. 'you don't get something for nothing in life'! I knew a substitute Teacher (female) who could quite agree with you on that point :) :)!
JOHN 2 years ago
we'll probably be getting subscriptions in the future to turn our consoles on and off the way these subscriptions are going....
Khazrak's avatar
Khazrak 2 years ago
Funny how Sony don't tell you that the £3.99 / £20 year also gives you access to their back catalogue of full games, including FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, Madden, NHL, etc. with more games being added soon! It's a great idea, and a lot cheaper than most game rental sites. If you don't pay, you lose access to the games, which is exactly what Sony do with PSN and their free games, and MS are starting to do the same with Gold (although you're also getting newer titles too). It isn't £3.99 for early access to demos as some people think, and you also get a 10% discount on all DLC & digital titles. I prefer to own my games, but it's not a bad idea if you're on a budget and want to try something new. :)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
They're correct, and good on them for putting their foot down on the matter. Publishers introducing individual subscriptions is not something that should be allowed to gain any traction.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
I'm not surprised Sony have said this, if it was the other way around and Sony done this with EA I'm sure Microsoft would have come out and said similar. Is it good value or not? depends on the gamer and the games they like/want to buy. Personally I think it's fantastic, I thought I'd try it out, paid £3.99 for a months subscription and already downloaded Battlefield 4 and Madden and fully intend now on paying £20 for the full year sub. I really hope we see more companies/developers do something like this in the future.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
Im with you old timer, I do not have a problem with EA or with what theyre trying to do here. I think itsa great idea 19.99 for a year with EA is a fair price and look at what you get???especially if you play sports games. Every month that passes with my PS plus subscription it seems to get weaker and weaker and I look at my gold subscription and think 'you know what this is getting better and better" The only reason I havent signed up to EA access as at this stage there is nothing for me to play I dont play sports games and I have up to this point pretty much got everything theyre offering. Great idea EA its definately something I will consider sooner
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Stupid decision by Sony. I should have the choice of getting what I want.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" I'm not surprised Sony have said this, if it was the other way around and Sony done this with EA I'm sure Microsoft would have come out and said similar. " - Not likely considering how much money MS throws at EA these days to not release certain games on PS4. They wouldn't dare rock that boat by saying anything critical of EA right now.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
It does depend on the person if its is good value or not though everyone should have the choice.