Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal 'has a duration'

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

Spencer wouldn't go into detail about how long it'll stay exclusive for but he did sympathise with those who are upset about the deal.

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

When asked if there a time limit on the exclusivity period, Spencer replied, "Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Spencer, however, wouldn't be drawn on how long the deal lasts.

"It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Edited On 13 Aug, 2014

Comments
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
lol, Joe my ps4 version was cancelled last night, whats up with that pmsl, well anyway im gald ill get to play it at some point, hope xboxers get to play silent hills too
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
I guess just because the deal is timed doesn't mean they'll release it. They will though. Basically MS bought it timed to counter Uncharted 4. That's it in a nutshell. Once Xmas is out the way it'll hit PlayStation. Be that within six months or a year. If you are buying Uncharted, Tomb Raider can probably wait anyway.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
It also depends on the deal. Tomb Raider 2 and 3 were console specific to PS1 and never came to another console at any time. This Tomb Raider game may never come to PS4, but future Tomb Raider games may do again.
Here is an idea. Take that money you threw at Square to get this and invest it into your own Tomb Raider/Uncharted IP
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Both Microsoft and Square have been and still are being to vague about this whole deal it would of been better if they were just honest. It seems the PS4 version has disappeared from a lot of places.
Tomb Raider/Uncharted type IP
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
So they just paid to delay the other versions rather than get them cancelled, basically? Glad to hear it, but their FUD attempts and outright disinformation in places (See: Aaron Greenburg) has been pretty despicable over this. If you've paid for timed exclusivity, just say that (Sony had no problems clearly doing this yesterday), don't try to bullshit us.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"This Tomb Raider game may never come to PS4," - Haha... oh God. Even though it says so right there you're still in denial. Get a grip.
It will be a free payday for Square when they release the game on PS4/PC, so they would be stupid not too. Look on the brightside, we will get the DLC incuded when it releases for our platforms
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
It does not say there at all that is coming to PS4. It depends on the duration. If the duration lasts until the next Tomb Raider, then it may not come to PS4, as TR1 and TR2 did not come Saturn, N64 or Dreamcast later, but Tomb Raider 4 did. They just moved on, and did not bother doing 2 and 3 for Dreamcast, or any kind of game for N64. They did a TR game for Gameboy so could easily have done one for N64. PC should more likely get it, like Ryse / Dead Rising 3
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
And here's the first line of the article again: "Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's exclusivity deal for **Rise of the Tomb Raider** "has a duration"." -for you Tony... could it be any clearer? just surprised Gloria hasn't turned up with a snide remark about Tomb Raider being "meh" anyway...
Gloria is too busy playing R-type
I would agree with Tony if I though Microsoft bought the rights for more than a year at most (tbh I think it will be 6 month)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
No, it is not clear, as it could mean anything. I said "THIS Tomb Raider MAY not come to PS4", which does not mean it will not come to PS4. If I said "THIS Tomb Raider WILL NOT come to PS4" then you would have a reason to complain. Is that clear for you?
*thought*
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
TR1 did go to Saturn Tony, 2 and 3 didn't because a) the Saturn was dead at that point and b) it was an incredibly difficult console to develop for so not worth the major hassle. N64 was a 64bit system with limited support from western 3rd parties and Dreamcast was way after those games
NathanW18's avatar
NathanW18 2 years ago
Six months sounds likely. If it's that short, it should come to the PS4. Well, I hope it does.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
He also says they have a long term relationship with Crystal and Square, which sounds like it could be more than a year
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
It isn't clear Tony because Phil Spencer was being so vague about it, and the obvious clues are in the vagueness. If it was a deal lasting anywhere near until the release of the next TR, MS would be shouting it from the rooftops. Even anything over 6 months exclusivity is a big deal so they'd be clearer about it. Your *what if's* are based on ridiculous long shots
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
omfg Tony.... they have a long term relationship with them, doesn't mean they have an exclusive deal for a particular game. The long term relationship is referring to the history of their relationship up until now as their games have been appearing on their consoles for such a long time.... jeez...
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
"It isn't clear " Exactly, glad you understand now :)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
or maybe not....
Just drop it
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
The long term relationship is probably referring to the deal regarding Lost Odyssey
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
come on ladies lets not get our knickers in a twist that's my job.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
^ lol :)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Your own knickers or ladies Knickers Joe?
Lost Odyssey wasn't a Square game. Think you mean Infinite Undiscovery/Last Remnant/Star Ocean 4. Last two were timed, Undiscovery is 360 only sadly
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
Sorry Toots but if anyone should be telling me not to get my knickers in a twist it isn't you :P
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Exactly makes a difference from it being me getting menstrual RTLF. Bindiana mine other ladies the neighbours just any knickers I can find to sni... I mean twist.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Yeah oopps lost odyssey was just from the makers of Final Fantasy.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
Oh there she is, how was R-Type? :P
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 2 years ago
Looking forward to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 one day
t was X-Type, not R-Type, and I got a new high score.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Thinking more about this, this is dumb on MS part, as now people will not get a Xbox ONE and hold out hope for it getting on PS4. Following Ryse and Dead Rising 3 it would have given people doubts whether it will remain exclusive but this admission makes it seem more real. MS may as well have saved their money and let the game be released on all consoles all at the same time. Basically It should either remain an exclusive to Xbox or not be exclusive at all, because it just messes people about and causes anguish and confusion, and instead MS should have put that money into a new IP, like what Nox said. Maybe Phil only said this to calm people down and to stop hating MS so much, and it still won't come to PS4, but as time goes by people will just focus on more new games and all this will end up being history If it does get released on PS4 later then it will benefit Crystal and Naughty Dog as they will not be competing with each other, which would probably hinder sales on PS4 as people choose between Uncharted or Tomb Raider, PS4 owners will just buy Uncharted on day one now
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Thing is come Holiday 2015 when they are trying to sell XBOX's they can say 'Tomb Raider and Halo 5!' to sell next year rather than just Halo. It's Crystal Dynamics fault for not being clear in their own statement, but that is probably part of the agreement. It's just like PS getting Hellblade and the likes first, just have to like it or lump it. Nobody'll remember when TR comes out 3-6 months after just like Plants v Zombies. If anything, It'll hurt Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
PHILIP 2 years ago
I'm just glad I will still get to enjoy this game on my Ps4 so this is great news.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 2 years ago
i will get it on xbox one first then if it comes to ps4 will prob pick it up again, the last tomb raider was epic and the story was so good
This ^ is the reason that timed exclusivity is a good idea for Square
Because people are stupid and will buy the same game twice.
NathanW18's avatar
NathanW18 2 years ago
I don't think that many people will double dip. What would be the point in buying the same thing? There will be no improvements. I don't see how Square benefits from this at all. All they've done is successfully piss people off.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people, Anthony bought 5 copies of Watch Dogs./
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
He has to be vague about it anyway as he wont be allowed to talk about the deals of the contract. Either way I am still looking forward to playing it next year.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
double dipping makes sense to me because you wouldn't just put one ball in if it felt so good becfause the other wouild feel left out.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 2 years ago
Timed exclusive nonsense strikes again.