SharePlay will be compatible with any game which uses DualShock 4

It's been revealed that any game that uses a DualShock 4 will be compatible with SharePlay on PS4.

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studio, explained more on the service to Weekly Famitsu, translated by Kotaku.

“How it works is, for example, say, a friend has a game that I don’t. I ask them to let me play it, and if they send me an invitation, I can access their PS4 and play while watching the video that is streamed,” said Yoshida. “You could call it a mini PlayStation Now.”

Yoshida also explained that any game which is played with a DualShock 4 will be compatible with SharePlay.

“There is no need for developers to do anything for their games to be compatible with SharePlay."

Interestingly you'll be able to save game data to their own account, so you can pick up where you left off on your own console.

As the game is played through a live stream, while a friend is playing on your PS4 you won't be able to do anything else. Still, it sounds like a very interesting feature and one that could come in handy for us. At least now when I get stuck while reviewing the game I can call Ash to the rescue.

Edited On 14 Aug, 2014

Comments
cerberuz's avatar
cerberuz 2 years ago
Unbelievable.. When Microsoft announced this sort of thing in their Xbox One digital vision 2013 E3 conference along with a few other innovative features they were slated for it.. Now Sony claim it for themselves as a new feature and it's acceptable.. Utter hypocrites.. All aboard the "#4theplayers" hype train..
Microsoft had nothing of the sort
There has got to be a catch somewhere surely. I mean I could just invite someone to a game, pass the "controller" to them and then just play my Wii U or something
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
At least one media outlet claims the 'catch' is that there's a 1 hour time limit per 'activation' of the feature. But they had no real source or details beyond that. Seems a reasonable compromise for what it is, but I hope they'll remove the time limit for when people both own the game they'll be 'shareplaying'. Also lol at cerberuz... you didn't even read the article properly, did you? :D
If that is true then it does seem like a fair compromise. Tbh it has to be something like that since Shareplay kinda steps on what Ubi are doing with Keys to Karat
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
I don't see the point in the hour limit if it is true. What's different from me getting my mate around and playing 10 games of FIFA 15, or playing LBP3 together, than playing it online to the 'virtual couch' and only being able to play for an hour? It makes no sense. There is no 'feasable' part of taking advantage of the system either as someone suggested hundreds of people could acess the game that one guy owns. But that would mean that the one guy would have to play with 100 people. Hopefully it is unlimited and makes it a much better option.
Obviously it isn't for people like you who have your mates live near you. I play games with people all over the country/world
I don't know a single person the lives in my area that plays games. (Other than the COD, GTA, Fifa only twits)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
And? How can you get a good gaming session on whatever couch game you decide to play with your mates from 'all over the world' when it's limited to 1 hour? Unless the game offers co-op through the game like LBP3 and FIFA. Which makes PlayShare pretty worthless even then...
You can have a good session with just 1 hour a day
cerberuz's avatar
cerberuz 2 years ago
@ PrometheusFan I read the press release before seeing this article..