Sony: It makes sense to remake certain titles for PS4, but there is a limit

PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan has said that remaking certain PS3 games like The Last of Us for the PS4 audience is "just common sense", although it's not planning to flood the market with 'HD' titles.

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Ryan said that certain games making the transition is a no brainer, however Sony wants to be cautious of the amount of PS3 titles that it remakes for PS4.

"One of the things we've seen this time around is that people have transitioned from a competitor platform last generation to PlayStation 4 this time around, and to allow those people to be able to experience a game like The Last Of Us, which they weren't able to last time because they were playing something else, that's just common sense," Ryan said.

SCE Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida has already said that it would be "really cool to have" an Uncharted Trilogy remade for PS4 and we'd love that too. Let's just hope that this is one of the series which Sony gives the HD treatment.

Edited On 14 Aug, 2014

Comments
Remaking lesser know titles or sleeper hits makes sense but remaking big blockbusters that everyone who had even the slightest interest has already played is just stupid in my mind
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
The Last of Us: Remastered has probably sold a million + copies already. That's good business, especially when a lots of players missed out last gen.
Oh they will sell, I know that but it would be be so much better if they remade/re-released some of the lesser know titles that didn't stand a chance. What they are doing with Tearaway is a good example (Know it was Vita title but point still stands)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Tearaway Unfolded is a brand new title though, not a remake. It's more a sequel I guess.
Retelling/remake. Same thing
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
"But I think it's got to be looked at very holistically, you can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that. "I think the balance is just about right but you know, there are other games that could be looked at, but there'll come a point where next gen will have moved on and rehashing old-gen will have passed its sell-by date." Yes mate you are rite to be re releasing a game that is barely a year old!!!!!! and beleive me most of us early adaptors certainly your beloved PS4 is looking very very last gen to me at the moment nd the next gen thing as a whole feels stale, I guess we wont see for another year or two. This is just my opinion boys and girls im lucky enough to have the xbox one x360 ps3 ps4 vita and wii u i love and adore my gameage I just think these guys at sony are full of it. Sonys gamescom had much more to offer than microsofts this time round though
Microsoft had Ori so that right there made them worth watching
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
Ori looks utterly amazing and the guys at Moon who are pouring theyre heart and soul into Ori are an awesome bunch of guys as well this was easily my favourite game shown at E3, I cant wait for this
bung's avatar
bung 2 years ago
Got to agree Ori looked great but I just know it's one of those games that's going to drive me mad trying to progress through the levels, can't wait
MrG's avatar
MrG 2 years ago
I'm fairly new to the ps3 and ps4 but the last of us on ps3 was an instant hit for me. And when I heard they were bringing it out on the ps4 I got goose bumps. I sold my ps3 copy just before the ps4 release and worked out I only paid £12 for the upgrade. Metro redux again very good game. The 1st was only 3 hours long, but second much longer. The low price makes it worth a purchase. Then there is the halo: master chief collection, that is great value and brings halo online multiplayer to the xbox one. I would love a uncharted collection on the ps4 as I've only just started the 1st game.
Wooder's avatar
Wooder 2 years ago
Remastèring old games is the best thing for PS4, not only does it give new ppl a chance to play the greats but also means the waiting for a good game is reduced
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 2 years ago
Give me Uncharted Collection Remastered and Bioshock Trilogy Remastered, then will be golden Sony!
ade0410's avatar
ade0410 2 years ago
Totally agree about the Uncharted Trilogy. I'd pre-order without hesitation.