Bloodborne designed to be slightly less punishing

PS4 exclusive Bloodborne has been designed to be a little less punishing than the Dark Souls and Demon Souls series.

Masaaki Yamagiwa, director of the two Souls games and acting as producer on the Bloodborne, said during a Gamescom presentation attended by IGN via CVG: "You died a lot in the previous games, and you have to persevere. One of our main goals with this game is that sense of punishment - we don't really want to focus on punishing the player.

"We want to deliver a game that gamer's love, so if the gamer likes the game they will definitely like it enough to have that bit of perseverance. But in the way which we're making the game the sense of punishment is much less."

In Bloodborne, after taking damage players have a small window in which to retrieve some health by successfully attacking back, which Yamagiwa hopes will "draw the user into the perilous combat we want to deliver".

"In terms of who the game is aimed at, and who we want to capture in terms of the audience, of course we can't betray or disappoint the fans out there. They'll be the main ambassadors of the game.

"But we want more people to share in this experience. So one of the things we can't talk about right now but we feel the new online concept and experience we've got for this game - we hope that will capture a wider audience."

Are you excited for Bloodborne?

Edited On 14 Aug, 2014

Comments
Neil 2 years ago
Happy with anything as long as those god awful invasions are not copied!
Play Offline. Anyhoo I hate to break it to you but Invasions are going to still be part of the game
Neil 2 years ago
Playing online if I want to should be my choice, games should be played how the player wants and not be forced into decisions to give egotistical selfish kids their way. If you like invasions then you could join the group who agree with you, I only like co-op, not some cheating kids interfering with how I want to play. Pretty sure invasions haven't even been confirmed so unsure on your comment towards mine to be honest, go play Dark Souls I guess
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Neil really shouldn't games be played more like the developer intended?
Autogamer's avatar
Autogamer 2 years ago
I did not realise that Bloodborne was going to be successor to Dark Souls / Demon Souls. I will probably give this a miss to begin with then, especially if it is going to be less punishing.
Neil 2 years ago
JoeToots - I think games should be played the way the player intends, not the developer, it's the developer's job to cater for all the players, an option to turn off unwanted options it the best way to go. Subtitles in most games are optional for example, it's the player's choice, as should invasions be...
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
^This way of thinking is a perfect example of the inherent, self entitled misconceptions which are rife in the gaming community these days and why its populated by such an abundance of mewling quims. No Neil, Toots is right... a game is an artistic creation, much like a movie or a book. It is meant to be played the way the developer intended as it is an extension of his/her vision. You can't expect a director to make a movie that plays out the way the viewer intends it or an author to write a book which plays out the way the reader intends it, it is their vision and creation so they decide
Neil 2 years ago
Well, you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Why are people so bothered about the way I want to play the game when it doesn't affect THEIR way of how THEY want to play? Hell if you like invasions play with others who like them, I wouldn't be affecting your game so what's the big deal?! I really don't get the problem with me having my own wishes, that's just fundamentally bizarre, why do you want control over me?! Live your own life and sing your own song Once again I hate invasions and if the developers insist, then I will simply insist a non-purchase, it's really that simple, I don't get your problems...
Being Online is a risk/reward type deal. You can summon but a player might invade you, it comes with the territory. + there is a way to make yourself less likely to be invaded (Burning Effigys) Also would you please enlightening me with what you mean by "cheating kids"?
or you could just... you know .... disconnect when you get invaded. Doing that will disable Online mode for you but all you need to do is use a Bone of Order
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
It will affect my game though when I come across into your game and grind you into dust multiple times till you feel the end to curl up into a ball in the shower and cry... Just cry my sweet boy everything will be ok...
This ^. ROFL!
Neil 2 years ago
Oh the irony here is hilarious, I guess we are now reverting to some kind of schoolyard bullying culture? I play games to relax, not to let other people mess with the way I want to play my game, if you kids like that you can play wit yourselves I'd like to mention invasions haven't even been confirmed, so with respect to that, they likely may not even be a part of this game with any luck, hence this whole comment trail is pointless
“ It was confirmed ages ago Neil, & in case you don't believe me Vaati just uploaded a new vid talking about Bloodborne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_r0YShO4Hs#t=841 Also that is the first time I have heard that a Souls game is "Relaxing"
Neil 2 years ago
Just watched that video, thanks for that, seems the whole PVP design is still all speculation? 9:45 - 11:30 ish It mentions that it will be different, so I guess I'll need to see what that difference is to base my thoughts on getting this. If interrupted invasions happen and I can't do anything to stop them other than disconnect it will very regrettably and unfortunately be a no purchase from me. I never said the games were relaxing, I said that's how I like to play, for example if I want to pause to go and do something else I want that option, not to come back to find out someone invaded and killed me. I like the tension in games but I don't want that tension defined by other players. I love the souls games and everything about them APART from that invasion part, if I decide I want to play with PVP I want that option, not for it to limit the experience I want
I understand not wanting to be invaded in Demon's Souls since the world goes deep into Black Tendency, in Dark Souls the PvP was really hard to get into, but in Dark Souls 2 it shouldn't matter if you are interrupted since each enemy only spawns 15 times and ifr you just wear a Ring of Protection at all times you will never lose your souls/humanity
Also if you are going to go AFK just log out. I swear most people still don't know this
Anyhoo I understand what you are saying but each game has given you ways to stop invasions happening, no ones fault but your own for not using them