Sony doesn't have an issue with EA Access

It was previously stated by someone at Sony that EA's Access program on Xbox One does not offer good value to the customer, although it seems like that was the opinion of one person, rather than the company itself.

Speaking in an interview with Metro GameCentral at gamescom, SCEE President Jim Ryan has said that Sony doesn’t have a problem with EA Access, it just feels like it would not sit alongside its own PlayStation Plus service.

“We don’t have anything against EA Access, we just need to position it… these sort of offerings they’ve got to fit into the framework of everything we do and everything that we offer. And we’re just not quite comfortable with how it sits within the whole ecosystem of our digital offering, including PlayStation Plus.”

EA Access offer access to a selection of EA games in exchange for a subscription fee and because of this Sony feels that its own offering is more than enough for its customers.

“You know we’ve got PlayStation Plus and we feel that offers our consumers the best value in terms of a subscription offer,” said Ryan.

Would you like EA Access on PlayStation 4 or you happy just paying one subscription fee? You can play all those games anyway right and even if you did prefer EA's offering, you'd still have to have PlayStation Plus in order to play online.

Edited On 18 Aug, 2014

Comments
So, who was this one person, and are they going to be sacrificed like the 'deal with it' guy?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
There's definitely a point to be made about how EA Access would represent very poor value on PS4, seeing as how thanks to Microsoft a number of EA games either get delayed on the platform or flat out don't get released on it at all. If EA access is supposed to do what EA promise and PS4 owners are expected to pay the same price for a comparatively worse version of the same thing as Xbox owners, then yes, that is definitely not offering good value to PS4 owners.
ttrance's avatar
ttrance 2 years ago
Personally as a ps+ member I would have liked the option of having ea access too I'd happily have both :)
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
Sony as always full of 5h!t very very consistent!!!!
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
The guy who shot down EA Access before was the main guy behind PSNow. And I would have liked the option of being able to get EA Access if I wanted it.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Which EA games haven't got released on the PS4? The only one I can think of is PvZ garden warfare which is coming out soon on it with exclusive content is it not? I still feel it should be up to the gamer if they wanted it.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Titanfall and Peggle 2 didn't come out either, and PvZ is releasing 6 months later than other versions. EA would have customers they're content to treat like second class citizens pay the same amount for much less and many would blindly pay for an inferior service without realising exactly how bad they're getting it. Plus the recent reveals about exactly how limited and restrictive EA access is apparently going to be should already be a warning sign for anyone not to support it because of where it will lead if nothing else.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
I got EA access to play BF4 for a month for £3.99 to tide me over till Destiny comes out.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Completely forgot about Titanfall being an EA game, Peggle 2 wasn't as good as the first one but are they not bringing that out on PS4 as well? From what I read it seems pretty good with any games that are added to the vault staying in the vault and any saves you have being kept on the console as well so if you decide to stop paying you keep the save. As well as the 10% off on any EA purchase and early access to the EA games is pretty good. Out of interest what are the negatives you have read about from what I have seen a lot of the negatives are just speculation but then I have not really looked into that.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Just think Danny that would have got you 4 hours on PS Now :) (I know its a beta and prices may change)
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
I don't have a PS anything but have seen the prices but i much prefer the subscription based model and think that PS now would be much better suited to a subscription model and honestly if other big publishers like activitsion, ubisoft ect do there own version of EA access then maybe digital will really take off on consoles?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Early access titles have a 6 hour time limit for use during the early access period it appears(Where previously access was promised to have no such limit) in addition of course to demos seemingly now being only for access subscribers. Maybe it'll be changed, I don't know, but right now it sounds horrible.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"Peggle 2 wasn't as good as the first one but are they not bringing that out on PS4 as well?" - No mention has been made of a PS version by anyone at EA. And as to how good the game actually is, well "PS owners should get to decide about that for themselves", no? Yet they can't.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" I don't have a PS anything but have seen the prices but i much prefer the subscription based model and think that PS now would be much better suited to a subscription model" - I agree. It's a service that needs a subscription model or it will die... which is why I don't believe for a second it won't fully roll out without such an option.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Isn't it only Madden that are doing that with the demo? I know the FIFA one is still coming out as planned. 6 hour time limit is a bit rubbish but then they couldn't give you enough early access to complete the game so I can slightly understand that.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I agree with you on that though I am sure I read somewhere that it was coming but can't see it anywhere so good chance I dreamt it or something. Yeah if they don't change the price plan for now I don't see it doing very well.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
The 6 hour one I think is for the games such as Dragon Age. It hasn't been confirmed if it will be for all. If it is for all, their old Season Ticket subscription puts them to shame as it gave you the early access for the sports games and you got ot play them to your hearts content. Can see why they don't allow it for their titles such as Dragon Age though as you could complete it in that time.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
This is where we need a reply button shopto! but PrometheusFan has a good system going with copy and pasting comments to reply to people.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
It sure doesn't feel good having to post multiple replies in succession. I've been complaining about the reply button thing forever to no avail.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
God a reply button would be great, and an edit rather than having to delete the whole thing.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
It used to have a reply button too.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
Yeah the amount of times i have copied my comment, deleted it, paste it, edited it and re sent it is a LOT!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I think there are lots of different angles to this story. 1 Sony bringing out PS Now, 2 EA seem to be in bed with Microsoft with lots of deals, 3 Peggle 2 and PVZ are not out on PS4 so what do EA offer instead? PVZ is rumoured to be the next game in the vault so they wont do that with sony as its just about to come out and hurt sales.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I hope PvZ is then I can finally get my brother to get it. It will change quick enough with EA though and they will be favouring Sony again in a couple of years, it happens with all the big third party developers.
craig 2 years ago
the bottom line sony thought ea access would get negative press but now that people are warming to it because it is good value for money and a lot of ps4 owners moaning that they weren't giving the option to decide for themselves there doing a complete u turn dont be surprised if its on ps4 before long