Amazon buys Twitch for $970 million

Last night Twitch announced that Amazon, not Google/YouTube had successfully purchased the game streaming website in a deal with $970 million. Pocket change!

Twitch CEO Emmett Shear posted an announcement and thank you message to the millions of Twitch users.

"Today, I’m pleased to announce we’ve been acquired by Amazon. We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We’re keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch."

"I personally want to thank you, each and every member of the Twitch community, for what you’ve created. Thank you for putting your faith in us. Thank you for sticking with us through growing pains and stumbles. Thank you for bringing your very best to us and sharing it with the world. Thank you, from a group of gamers who never dreamed they’d get to help shape the face of the industry that we love so much"

Just a couple of months ago, Google was rumoured to be in advanced talks to buy the company which was founded in 2011.

Edited On 26 Aug, 2014

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
That's alot of pennies! lets hope amazon don't start making silly rules like Google did with Youtube!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I dont see why Amazon would want twitch seems a bit strange to me.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
with the amazon instant video thingy ma bob and this they're looking to pave the way forward to the future of online streaming. I've seen 50k views on streams in the past and i bet they peak at alot more than that. It's suprising how many people actually enjoy watching video games rather than playing them.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
they have there amazon instant video thing dont see how twitch fits into it. There video thing could die soon due to the high cost of prime I know I am not renewing my prime membership once its finished.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
The US amazon is big on the game scene aswell, you can get a lot of games on instant download over in the states from amazon
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
Probably so they can integrate it into The Amazon Fire TV Console but who knows
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I think alot of it is due to googles intrest so obviously if Amazon own it Google can't.
I said what I though on Twitter last night. The jist of it is that we all know how Google "fixes" thing so I'm interested in what Amazon do
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
biggest twitch stream i saw for about half an hour had just under 250,000 viewers, it was a league of legends tournament, i was just curious as to what it was a i don't do PC gaming so never i played that game but it always seems to by far the most popular game being live streamed on twitch so i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.