An Hour with Destiny

The servers have only just switched on, which obviously means that our review will be a while off yet. In the meantime though I have spent an hour with Destiny, just to get myself to grips with what it's actually all about.

Now unlike many, I decided that it may be a good idea to skip the beta, so I was just about going in blind, making it all the more exciting, if not a little unexpected for me. Things started off which me making a character from a choice of three classes; to be honest I didn't do a lot of research beforehand so opted for the warlock, as he can fire vortex magic from his hand and secondly, I had a feeling that not too many people may choose this class, although I could be wrong.

After choosing my class it was straight into the action, being woke up in the middle of a strange land by my newly acquired ghost. Despite only waking from my slumber, the ghost seemed keen to get me moving, so off I went, although it wasn't long before I was in the middle of a gun fight with the fallen and some strange floating machines known as Shanks.

The combat seems pretty standard for a FPS, although I was quite pleased at the melee abilities of my Warlock, which basically consisted of blasting the enemies with my special powers when they got up close and personal. One blast and they were on the floor, nice and easy.

Once the enemies were taken care of, it was time to board my newly acquired ship and head off to the safe haven of The Last City on Earth which contains the home of the Guardians: the Tower. Once at the Tower you are able to get your character equipped and on the first visit grab a gun, armour and your newly acquired ship. It seems that later, depending on your level, you'll be able to upgrade to bigger and better weapons, ships and the like. But for one I was just quite happy to have some armour and weaponry as I headed into the second mission.

The second mission saw me investigate a crash site and after taking care of some of the fallen I paused the game in order to write some of this up. As I was writing I heard some gun fire and to my surprise, upon unpausing the game, I found another player within my mission, taking care of some of the fallen. I thought it would be rude not to join him, so continued on my quest with some help and eventually acquired a warp drive, allowing me to explore more of the universe along with the rest of the world.

Obviously I've only played for an hour so far, but initial impressions are good. I like the fact that the world is constantly populated by other players and that I can still go about my own goals of completing the campaign.

I'll continue to play away and will bring you a review later this week. So when you get the game tomorrow from ShopTo, make sure to join me.

I've taken quite a few screens from my own experience so far, which have been captured using the PS4. Check them out above and if you've not pre-ordered yet then be sure to do so.

Edited On 08 Sep, 2014

Comments
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
Wait, the servers are live already?
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Yes, though I have an early copy obviously since I need to write about it. They went live at 13.00pm :D
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Yeah Video game journalists and reviewers usually get early access to games to do reviews.
jipples's avatar
jipples 2 years ago
You're a lucky chap. I read some where that crunching the numbers post beta that warlock was the most chosen class followed by hunter and then Titan last by a long way off, which to the best of my memory seems about right from playing the beta. Whether this will carry over to the full game awaits to be seen but I reckon Titan will still be under represented as it doesn't have the flair of the other two classes in my opinion.
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
I'm going for warlock too. I agree that during the beta I didn't see many titans compared to warlocks and hunters.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
I think I'll go with the hunter again. I was warlock for the alpha and whilst I do prefer the special attack, the hunter just has something about it that lures me in. That and I loved the handguns
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 2 years ago
It looks like a lot of people are playing now all the streaming channels are full of people playing most are already level 10+ how do they find the time
I got to lvl 10 in the beta after a few hours of mindless slaughtering
jipples's avatar
jipples 2 years ago
I found that if you change the mission difficulty to hard you get a lot more exp for all your kills and you level up a lot quicker. That may just seem obvious but I didn't think to do it for quite a while because I was just enjoying playing.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
Im a Titan Exo, names Billy Mitchel, His dad Fought in the beta wars and his grandad fought in the alpha wars, See you all in the tower tomorrow
jipples's avatar
jipples 2 years ago
I'm a warlock called Raffles Sinclair, my father was a vagabond and my mother was a washer woman. I roam from tower to tower entertaining ladies with parlour tricks in exchange for fancy baubles.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 2 years ago
I'm an Awoken Hunter aka Tali vas Shopto. Grand lineage ancestors fought in the Alpha & Beta wars. Normally find him sniping covering Billys advance. See you soon Guardians
selfdestruct's avatar
selfdestruct 2 years ago
You couldn't have gotten to level 10 in the beta it was capped at 7
selfdestruct's avatar
selfdestruct 2 years ago
I'm gonna explore that cave in the beta that had the hugely powerful ogre
Fair enough. I honestly thought it was 10 cos it is a round number, my bad. Bottom line is I hit max lvl after a few hours worth of gametime