Activision sold $500 million worth of Destiny units to retail and first parties

Activision said it sold more than $500 million of Destiny into retail stores and first parties worldwide on day one, meaning that it's made its initial outlay back already.

This figure makes it “the biggest new video game franchise launch in history,” says the firm.

“Based on extraordinary audience demand, retail and first party orders worldwide have exceeded $500 million for Destiny,” said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. “This industry milestone marks another blockbuster success for our company and demonstrates our unique ability to create some of the most successful entertainment franchises in the world.

“The success of Destiny, along with the recent introduction of Blizzard Entertainment’s Hearthstone, is further validation of our unique capabilities to create great entertainment franchises from the ground up.”

“We’ve been confident that our investment and belief in Destiny would pay off, but not many people believed we’d be able to say it did so on day one,” added Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg.

Activision will post its latest financials in October, at which point we'll no doubt hear of some solid figures sold to customers.

Edited On 10 Sep, 2014

Comments
'This figure makes it “the biggest new video game franchise launch in history,” says the firm.' Didn't Ubisoft say the same thing about Watch Dogs? Been seeing quite a bit of disappointment from players same as with Watch dogs too, too much hype again.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
It's bigger than Watch Dogs.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I've seen some disappointment from players also but with the numbers it is likely going to sell it'll seem like there are more disappointment than there usually is for a game, when infact that won't be the case. People are the first to write on the internet about how bad something is but they are never the first to write how impressed they are. Bungie have achieved what they set out to do and impress the majority. Kudos to bungie.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
I for one, had a blast yesterday with destiny, been busy all day till about 9 tonight, so im getting the shakes and hot sweats from withdrawal now lol
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
If you need someone for your team give us a shout jay as playing as a loner so far haha
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
ok bro
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
Likewise. Solo blazed so far so if anyone ever wants to team up, give me a shout
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
What you playing on Kaysar? if PS4 happy to team up did play with Jay last night and bumped a few levels up.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
Ai, PS4. Currently a lvl 12 hunter and just took down a giant knight boss on my own on the moon. It was after dying a number of times in trying to do so that I realised teaming up may not be a completely bad idea...
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I am a lowly level 6 Warlock I am not great at it so doubt I would be able to take much down on my own apart from the earlier stuff.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 2 years ago
I play the duck and cover game. Hunters have terrible health and healing abilities, but the amount of one shot kills I get is phenomenal. I'm just terrible in PvPs because of it ;-) And I've no qualms going back and replaying some levels with you. I've missed a lot anyway
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Cool not sure if I have added you on PSN have done for everything else will do that later.
Kaysar's avatar