Smash Bros sells 2.8 Million, Wii U version dated; Second wave of Amiibo figures revealed

Nintendo has announced that the cumulative sales total for Super Smash Bros on 3DS is more than 2.8 million worldwide. This first-ever portable instalment of the game has resonated with fans and critics alike, and its initial sales set Nintendo up for a strong Christmas season.

The European release date for Super Smash Bros on Wii U has also been revealed as 5th December. The first wave of Nintendo’s interactive amiibo figures will launch a week earlier, on 28th November. Twelve iconic Nintendo characters will be included in the first round, with six more figures set to launch with the second wave on 19th December.

The first wave of figures comprises of  Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Fox, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Pikachu, Kirby and Marth and today Nintendo announces the second wave of amiibo coming to shops on 19th December, including the following characters: Zelda, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Little Mac, Pit and Captain Falcon.

You can pre-order both Super Smash Bros for Wii U and the amiibo figures below.

Edited On 07 Oct, 2014

Comments
Cool, little later than I was expecting, but in plenty of time for Christmas, and one in the eye for the naysayers who were so sure it'd be delayed till next year.
Going to have to swap out Kirby for Diddy Kong on my next batch of Amiibo's too, I do love my Kongs.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Good to get a date for Wii U version would be better if they explained how the Amiibos actually worked though. Nintendo are poor at getting there messaging across.
I thought they'd explained their use in Smash Bros quite well, as virtual sparring partners that can be used as assists. It's their uses beyond Smash Bros that are currently unknown.
PHILIP 2 years ago
I must be in the minority not seeing the "love" for this button masher. I so wanted to like what all the fuss is about but not for me. I guess 2.8 million can't be wrong though. Perfect example of one mans poison is another man's cup of tea :-)
It's not really a button masher though, wouldn't have a serious pro gamer scene if it was.
PHILIP 2 years ago
I am comparing it to the wii version so I guess I am wrong to judge it. I spent hours on Street fighter 2 on the Snes so its not that i don't like beat em ups. Maybe I should check it out properly when the wii u version comes out... I have read the slider on the 3ds is a bugger to control your character with ? have any of you had an issue with it ?
No, the 3DS slider has been fine for me, can't see anyone having any real problems with it.
Tbh that's the first time I have seen Smash Bros get called a Button Masher. Dynasty Warriors I can understand but Smash? Brawl was good but it wasn't balanced at all since some characters had a clear advantage (Meta Knight) and some were clearly an after thought (Zero Suit)
The put my hat into the ring about the 3DS slider. It works perfect at first but the longer the session goes the worse it gets (cramp, sweat, etc) I get the feeling the 3DS version is meant to be play in small bursts/sessions
Not really a 3DS hardware problem then, it's a your thumb problem.
PHILIP 2 years ago
Like I say I only played the Wii version in the series and wasn't impressed with it. I got bored within half hour... Maybe I never gave it chance. I despise Dynasty warriors thats why I never bought Hyrule warriors. It's good to see Nintendo having success with its games though.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
Agree with the issues about using the slider to play this game. It is not a control method suited to this type of game at all. Still can't believe the lack of a d-pad control option. All the other fighting games on 3DS had one, so why doesn't this?
True. I might take my non XL 3DS out of the box and try to play it with that, see the difference (Shits&Giggles & all that)
The only problem I had with the controls was that grab & block were bound to the shoulder buttons, but you can just move them to the face buttons no problem
D-pad control would be pointless, without analogue control you would lose half the moves and the ability to dash. Anyone who has played Smash Bros to any real extent knows why it needs analogue controls.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
" D-pad control would be pointless" - Giving the player control options is never pointless.
I agree with Kevin on this. More control options is never a bad thing, one of the reasons I love the Wii U and PC
It's not more control options though, it's gimping the controls.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I have to agree with Kevin here, not overly convinced with the slider either.
There's something wrong with you lot, I'm not the most dexterous person but I've had no problems with it other than thumb cramps after prolonged use, but I get that with all controllers.
I'm not saying that there is a problem, I'm saying that the option to use the D-pad would be welcome for some people
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Its not just this game though I find it with a few of the 3DS games, just not a big fan of the slider.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
I've only played the demo (will pick this up with the Wii U version) but personally, the thumbpad seems inferior to the usual stick because you can't literally flick the stick, you have to flick you thumb - if you know what I mean? I don't think the D-pad would help but the thumbstick isn't the best control - maybe if there was an attachable stick to put over the thumbpad - that would make it more comfy. I just think its a general issue with the thumbpad and long usage on any action game
Well we don't have that long to wait for it. December 6th is the date (give or take)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
What he said, I am looking forward to the wii U version as it will solve the few issues I have with this. Also is it just me but it seems a lot of the game modes are hidden in loads of different menus.
5th, not 6th Nox, with the US getting it on the much rumoured 21st of November. US release date for Captain Toad has slipped out too as December 5th, which will hopefully mean very early January for us, or possibly even late December.
5th/6th, who care? I keep on going by that cos Nintendo likes to make the official release dates on Saturdays
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 2 years ago
It's good to finally have a release date for Smash Wii U. Was starting to worry it might get delayed into 2015.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
is the Amiibo the one where you can touch random figures and get random things but you can't save the stats? I can't remember if that was pokemon rumble, Disney, Amiibo or Skylanders - one lets you put on random things and a actual thing will appear with random stats but you can't save it. Too many NFC toys to keep track of! My shelf is already full with Disney and Skylanders