Opinion: Why does it all go wrong?

PlayStation 4 firmware 2.0 launched yesterday and on the face of things it's pretty fantastic. You can now customise your user interface with themes and you can use a USB stick to add music to your system via the new USB music player. Then there's the big feature, Share Play, which allows another player to take control of your game or play along with you from their system, even if they don't own the game. But there's an issue and unfortunately when it comes to Sony releasing firmware, it's not for the first time.

One of the new changes in firmware 2.0 yesterday was for Sony to change standby mode to rest mode. On the face of things this just seemed like a standard name change, which is fine, however it seems to have come with one fundamental flaw in that it's broken. Anyone who has used the new rest mode may have discovered, like me, that once the system is off it'll have a constantly pulsing orange light and then when you try to turn it on again, nothing happens.

Luckily this is easily resolved by unplugging the system and then turning it on again, but the fact is this should never have happened. Now I'm willing to give any games company the benefit of the doubt, I've done so for Sony and others in the past, but there comes a point where the company in question, in this case Sony, just starts to damage its own reputation. Good will from consumers will only last so long and with the recent DriveClub issues, PSN's constant outages and now the issues with the firmware, how long will it be before consumers start to lose faith?

I for one know that Sony will fix these issues, but I have a lot of passion for this industry and faith in games companies to get things right, so when issues do appear I really feel for them. When I see hundreds of comments from people on the internet complaining I'm always one of the first to stick up for these games companies and let people know that these things happen. But the fact is, these things need to stop happening. Firmware needs to be perfect when it launches, not full of flaws; Servers need to work at the launch of a game; PSN and to a much lesser extent Xbox LIVE need to stay up, without outages. I'm realistic enough to know that this won't happen 100 percent of the time, but the amount of issues need to be looked at. This generation of consoles need to be the flagship for gaming. So please games companies sort it out.

*update*

From our investigations so far, it appears the issues with PS4 rest mode are cause by changing the power settings on the settings menu. If you have upgraded to firmware 2.0 we would suggest not changing any settings for now.

Edited On 29 Oct, 2014

Comments
adge_uk's avatar
adge_uk 2 years ago
Joe, I admire and applaud your positivity. When most sites chase the slightest problem as a click-bait article you are far more forgiving. These things do indeed happen, but when they've got to the level they have now you are totally right to call them out on it. I'm not sure if it's complancy, lack of quality assurance or lack of investment in infrastructure that causes this issues but it is time for Sony to show some corporate transparency and admit there is a problem then elaborate on how they are dealing with it. Consumers much prefer an honest approach to the current situation were Sony's silence is interpreted as them not knowing or not caring about the issues. The first year anniversary of the PS4 is rapidly approaching and customer's PS+ subs will be due a renewal. With lots of customers migration from X-Box I can see many of them taking advantage of the current deals and returning to Microsoft - making the X-Box One their online console of choice. Sony built up such goodwill coming into this generation and watching them squander it on things that they really shouldn't be messing up is painful to watch. Let's hope this catalogue of errors is the wake up call they need to turn things round in 2015.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 2 years ago
I just think its poor i was mainly xbox last gen and decied to go ps4 this gen but i just think its funny that almost a year later we are getting things i thought it would have out of the box. Why cant i transfer my ps vita saves to the ps4 yet? Also yesterday you posted about how they are still working on that instant resume, so they advertised something they have no idea how to implament. I cant speak for the xbox one as i have not played one but if that that is the same i would moan about that.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
Alot of good comments above. What I'd like to know is, when Sony announced PS+ was going to become a paid for service alot of gamers asked why, Sony did say that with this new console upgrades would have to be made and most of the PS+ money would go into upgrading their online service but I see alot of people saying asking now, where is the evidence of this? I don't use PSN as much as others, I haven't done the recent update but you only have to look on the official PSN forums to see alot more people daily complaining. As mentioned above they need to sort out this and other things, I mean with how well the console is selling, the servers are only going to get more of a work out, I hope Sony are/will be ready.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
I think alot of it has to do with developers and publishers have the attitude of just get it out and we will fix anything that goes wrong. Just think how many games you buy today that need a day one patch there arent many games you can just put into your system and just play. I do think sony needs to improve the PSN network Microsoft definitely have the better online network with Live. I dont know whats the best way of fixing these issues take Destiny for example the amount of money they have spent with an established developer and publisher the latest patch yesterday has made the game unplayable for lots of people.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 2 years ago
I think thats the thing bindiana they just think we can patch that later on. Also older timer thats the thing with paying for online, when it was free people didn't mind so much but now they have to pay its a different story i heard it went down again yesterday. I don't really play online much these days so i don't know how bad it is.
It's the downside of online, knowing things can be easily patched later gives them the go ahead to get things out of the door without testing them properly. The occasional fuck up is forgivable, but too many devs do it too often, and really are taking the piss.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 2 years ago
@Bindiana Was unplayable since launch due to missing story :P I really hope Sony have fix the issue with been unable to sign into YouTube since, that was the feature I was looking most forward to trying out.
lukas83's avatar
lukas83 2 years ago
I for one am getting extremely fed up with Sony. As you are aware, I'm now on my 4th Dualshock 4 as you are kindly replacing them for me as they fail. I've also explained in the past the random clunking & grinding noises my PS4 makes every now & again & has done since launch day. I was also the first to warn users on here about the new rest mode issue & I'm fed up with the PSN issues of late & lack of PS+ Driveclub. I brought a XBone controller for my pc from you the other day & the build quality of the pad feels far, far superior to the DS4. I'm extremely tempted now at buying an XBone system from you purely because I'm just getting sick & fed up of jumping through hoops for Sonys console.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
I fired up my PS4, it's updated and all seems ok. Unless it's just a coincidence but my daughters PS4 after this update is now stuck on SD resolution and has no sound? Tried powering down, leaving for a few minutes a few times now but still the same. In the process of trying to speak to Sony Support, if they can't resolve it then I shall be taking a drive down to GAME later to get it replaced..... I agree with the comments above, not just Sony but even too many developers releasing unfinished games these days, it's really like they using us as beta testers with the attitude ... "Release now, fix it later"
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Sony don't care now that they are the console leaders of this generation, and just sitting back enjoying the profits. Microsoft are so far behind in the sales that they are currently not a threat to keep Sony on their toes. Microsoft are doing everything they can to keep up - give away free games, keep dropping prices, remove Kinect, buy exclusive rights for the next Tomb Raider, buy up Minecraft, and keep the console updated a lot more etc
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Games were incomplete back in the 80s too, as Jet Set Wily on the ZX Spectrum could not be completed without using a cheat. Also I think the first batch of Mario Kart 64s had a bug which made the game crash, and if people had these then could return game for replacement. Nowadays games can be patched, if that is the case.
The new Tomb Raider isn't a full exclusive though, it's timed
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
That is still not known. They have implied it as being timed, but also stated that it will get released on PS4 later if Square Enix wants to. Even if it is timed, it will still help the Xbox ONE, especially if Sony keep carrying on like this.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
But the points you raised just showed Microsoft didnt care about its customers and still dont to a certain degree. Dropping Kinect ignoring there customers from the start and forcing it on everyone making the machine more expensive. Which has led to the price drops. Buying exclusivity to Minecraft and Tomb Raider shows they dont respect there customers to invest in new studios or there own studios to make new interesting games there just trying to buy brand loyalty. Sony and Microsoft are both in it for the money thats it but there is no way you can make microsoft out as saints.
It has been said that the Tomb Raider deal has a duration. That means that it is timed and will be released on the other platforms, you can't say "it will get released on PS4 later if Square Enix wants to" cos quite frankly it is guaranteed that it will
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 2 years ago
Not surprised to see another article turn into a ... "Microsoft Vs Sony" ... debate lol ..... In my opinion Microsoft got off to a terrible start with this new genration, DRM, no DRM, no Kinectless option from the start, higher price etc and Sony came out looking like the second coming of Christ ( to the gamers ) but again in my opinion both Microsoft and Sony are as bad as each other, some will argue one is worse but hey ho, none of them are there for the benefit of us, like Bindiana said above, both are in it for the money/profits and if anyone here thinks otherwise, well they need to come down from the clouds. Anyway, update from my previous post, spoke to Sony Support, they first told me since the latest update not to change any settings to which I replied I didn't, managed to sort out the resolution issue but still no sound, got another call coming later today hopefully otherwise the console will be going back to GAME.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I am not saying either are saints but Microsoft are clearly trying, just making bad moves, Sony are not trying as they don't need to, as rolling from MS mistakes, and people flocking to them regardless, and now are the console leaders.
Jet Set Willy was shite, Monty Mole FTW ;)
techniczuk's avatar
techniczuk 2 years ago
Still can't login to YouTube app due to connectivity issue don't think they really checked this update
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
They are only trying cause there sales are poor. Do you really think if after say 6 months PS4 had sold 5m consoles at £349 and Xbox had sold 4.5m consoles £439 that Microsoft would of taken out the kinect and did a price drop? Microsoft updates each month is only adding stuff that should of been there from the start same as Sony's firmware updates.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I only want the Xbox ONE and PS4 to have equal sales, so both consoles get the best they can. When one company is ahead they never put the effort in - MS did not bother giving away free games, until Sonys PS+ service started to make people turn to the PS3. The Xbox ONE is an awesome machine, and the difference between 1080p ./ 720p and whatnot is NOTHING compared to the days of the Spectrum and Commodore, and is ridiculous, and until people start appreciating the Xbox ONE more then MS will carry on buying up companies, and Sony not bothering with quality service, as if people are still buying the PS4 despite their lack of quality, then they can carry on with their feet up, fixing the things when in their own good time. Nintendo FTW
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I see where Tony is coming from, when one company gets ahead they get complacent both Sony and Microsoft have been guilty with this when you look at the jump from the PS2 to PS3 and the 360 to the xbox one. They were both relying on their previous effort to show how good the next one will be. As for the releasing things not finished It is one of these things that will happen with the majority of things being online now. What I don't get is why more companies don't make use of the thousands of people that are willing to help test out the systems with Betas and Alphas. I know Microsoft do their preview program for the update which release it a month earlier to people in it so it can be tested before release which they have done throughout the 360 as well as the one but do Sony not do a similar thing? I know they have had a beta for the streaming service but i can't remember anything else. Could you imagine how helpful it would have been for Driveclub to have a big open beta a month before launch, they would have been able to fix the issues and actually have it working for launch, the same can be said for the likes of Battlefield 4.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
Also I know it is the general belief that Microsoft don't have first party studios but they did just open up several the other month http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/21/new-microsoft-first-party-studios-outed/
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
I can't be bothered arguing, as it'll go nowhere. But to use the 'it's nothing compared to the spectrum or comodore' is so outdated it's unreal. We've moved on vastly since then. It'd be like accepting fat TVs because you know, it's nothing compared to the difference between black and white and colour.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I think you misunderstood. The Spectrum and Commodore 64 were in the same generation, but Spectrums were still selling well and popular despite the C64 clearly having better graphics, without having to use magnifying glasses or putting the systems side by side, like there is a need to do with Xbox ONE and PS4. It is the same as the PS1 and N64, which were also in the same generation, the N64 did much better 3D graphics than the PS1, but the PS1 still managed to stay ahead. The graphics did not seem to bother people then, now everyone seems to panic if the game is 720p and not 1080p and there is hardly any difference at all, unless you put it all under a microscope to see! It is not the same as Colour TVs vs Black and White as colour TVs were a progression from Black and white and the next generation, and Flat / HD TVs are a generation after colour TVs.
No difference between 720p and 1080p? Do you even listen to yourself?
b3ddo3's avatar
b3ddo3 2 years ago
While I can agree with you there is a difference between the two as long as you're sitting close enough, it is also true if someone shows you a picture of a game without stating what resolution it is and without any side by side comparison the vast majority of people would not know if it was 1080p or 720p. I think that's what Tony was getting at. If you wanted to do the test your self I will happily upload 6-7 pictures some 720p some 1080p and you can let me know which ones are which.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
Wasnt the PS3 supposadly a better machine to the 360???Didnt Sonys machine come with an inflated price??? Were all adults here and I am fortunate (or unfortunately-depends how you look at it I guess??) to have both as well as a vita and a Wii U and all I can say is I utterly regret getting the PS4 and the utter waste of money ive spent on it, heres the thing sony have done what in my experience theyve always done reaped the proffits and then dont give a flying fudge about theyre user base?? Xbox may be behind significantly in sales and technically it may not be as good but you know what??? My xbox works no probs and when I get a game u know what?? Thats rite it works and christ on a bike when I get an update it not only vastly improves my xbox ones functionality it works amazing isnt it who would of thought that buying a console for 350 or whatever it was to play games on and hope that improvements are made and it actually do that WOW!!!!!
JUNGLISTJ's avatar
JUNGLISTJ 2 years ago
I left for work yesterday after installing the update and said to my three kids "none of you guys touch my machine!" They all reply "yes daddy". I get back from work and notice that there is no orange light on- I'm like little buggers! Lol. They all swore to me this morning that none of them touched the power. Left for work angry... So sony's machines don't work as they should, but at least my kids aren't liars. For that truth I'll buy and let you brick a thousand ps4's.
JUNGLISTJ's avatar
JUNGLISTJ 2 years ago
Katie 2 years ago
Well at least we know that's the issue. I began to panic! As long as unplugging it doesn't corrupt the hdd or wipe anything seeing as it says not to unplug the power cord when on rest mode... I've always been a PlayStation person; never owned an xbox. But it is tiring now that we are paying for a service and it still can't be fixed or run correctly. Sony really need to improve or alot of ppl will begin to go else where
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
I love Inspector's regular meltdowns. I guess you were buzzing when Microsoft basically put new IPs and doing the good deed after around 2010? I guess we forget that Sony was churning out Infamous, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls and the likes well in to their life cycle where Microsoft basically believed Forza would be enough. Now they're behind by 5m it's good that they're going after it and doing their best to get back onside with the gamers. But proclaiming Microsoft as the be all and end all and tossing Sony under the bus because you don't like whatever you've spent on the PS4 is just utterly stupid.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 2 years ago
I dont beleive I am proclaiming Microsoft as the be all and end all im merely expressing and echoing many peoples opinions on both sides mate, My xbox one developed that disc reading issue but Microsoft were exceptionally helpfull and everything was dealt with quickly and effectively theyre improving theyre consoletheyre discounts and as a Microsoft company I am a happy monkey. Sony on the otherhand have released nothing but barely above average exclusives dealing with theyre customer services is almost as irritating as Sonys TV ads and PSN and the Drive Club shenenagans are an absolute extraction of every PS4 owners urine so yeah my experience of Sony hasnt been to great mate so at the moment most definately im swaying Microsofts way