Nintendo's latest financial results *update*

Super Smash Bros has helped Nintendo earn 171.4bn yen (£981m) in revenue during the past six months, although ended with a total operating loss of 215m yen (£1.2m).

Despite the operating loss, Nintendo managed to post a profit of 14.3bn yen (£82.1m) because of positive exchange gains due to the depreciation of the yen.

New Amiibo figurines that unlock more playable characters will release next month, while Super Smash Bros will launch for Wii U in December and Nintendo will hope this boosts income further.

This story was updated as further information became available.

Edited On 29 Oct, 2014

Comments
David 2 years ago
Good, I love Nintendo and desperately want them to do well and come back into the main console war next time out. They're a company who cares greatly and it's sad that people aren't buying. Well, I should say weren't buying.
Wii U has been making a small profit for a while now, and now they've got some big hitters out, and more on the way, things are really looking up.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 2 years ago
Good for them. I'll be getting the WiiU version and hopefully 4 Amiibo's
Yeah, just been reading, these figures only include the initial Japanese Smash Bros sales, about a third of the total sales, so they'll have a nice start on the next quarter.
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
Could someone kindly specify which Amiibo figurines will be being released that double up as new unlockable characters? I thought they were just plastic figurines that developed their own stats in game and weren't so much going to be used to unlock new characters in a game such as Smash Bros.! And Dave, please don't think Nintendo are good-hearted 'cause they ain't; they are just as backbiting and pennypinching as all get out. I believe I've read that Nintendo were devastated when Sony came onto the games market and forced gaming prices down forcing them to rethink their £60 a cartridge they'd hoped the populace would shell out for!
None will be required to unlock characters. Also cartridge prices were higher than disks cos a cartridge costs most to produce than a disk
Don't remember ever paying £60 for an N64 cartridge, average price was £40 I recall, with a few games that used the expansion pack being £50. Funny how what was considered prohibitively expensive back then is now considered average.
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 2 years ago
It's just in allusion to the article. You read the article, right? It states 'new amiibo figurines that unlock more playable characters will release next month', so I was wondering, as I hope others on here will too, which these might be?! I believe Mystical Ninja Goemon could be one of those cartridges. Anyway, my point was, I have read less than favourable things about Nintendo's stance on games prices.
The article is wrong
Just came across this, whatever Nintendo's operating losses or profits they've got plenty of cash and aren't going anywhere any time soon http://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-has-4.5-billion-in-the-bank-9.67-billion-in-current-assets#.VFE30DSsWo0
Ninty have enough money to keep going for at least 20 years