Microsoft to publish Rise of the Tomb Raider

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be published by Microsoft, not Square Enix. The news was confirmed by Xbox marketing director Aaron Greenberg.

We still don't know if the game will come to platforms other than Xbox One and Xbox 360. It was suggested by Phil Spencer that the game had a period of exclusivity, but given that Microsoft are publishing the title, it could be that we won't hear any confirmation of other platforms for quite some time, it at all.

Losing Tomb Raider will likely be a blow to PlayStation fans, although they have Uncharted 4 to tide them over, so it's not all bad news.

Also we still have a suspicion that it's a timed release, although that's just a hunch rather than inside information.

Edited On 09 Dec, 2014

Comments
PHILIP 2 years ago
Was hoping it would still come to Ps4 but not looking that way now. Can't really moan as the Ps4 has exclusives too it's just the way the market is now. Good business move for Microsoft I guess but "one" must have game (just my opinion) is'nt enough to make me buy a console. I love uncharted but I've always loved Tomb raider too so I may end up getting an xbone as well if more exclusives come out for it that I want. Halo 5 looks like it will be very good indeed. I just did'nt want to end up with 3 consoles under my tv again with the amp and Tivo box it's too clutered. That failing I will get a cheap second hand 360 and play it on that. Still, it's another Tomb Raider game to the collection so good news :-)
STEVEN 2 years ago
I have a feeling this is Microsoft's payback for Sony taking Street Fighter V. Which is very sad as Tomb Raider is one of my Favorite franchises :(
ade0410's avatar
ade0410 2 years ago
I won't complain. There is some benefits owning both consoles.
M$ started it by taking Dead Rising 3. Also one of the theories is that M$ were the only one not open to Cross-Platform play
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
Sony started it by making it exclusive to PS1, and not letting Nintendo get a game. They have all been nabbing exclusives for decades, it is only bothersome atm because many people can not afford both consoles. Even if it doesn't come to PS4, it should do to the PC, like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 where it will be the best. I am not fussed about Street Fighter that is on PC too, unlike Tomb Raider for now. Also I dunno why Lara Croft and Temple of Osiris did not get a Xbox ONE physical release whereas PS4 and PC did.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
How was Tomb Raider exclusive to PS1 it came out on Sega Saturn as well?
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
@Nox that exact reason is why they didnt bring FFIV to xbox
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 2 years ago
@Bindiana, and the Nokia N-Gage :D
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
That is not what I said, read ALL what I said, I shall repeat "not letting Nintendo get a game" which was crucial to my exclusive statement. The N64 never got a single Tomb Raider game, when it could have, and would have done a better jobs, and when it had Indiana Jones and the infernal Machine
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
How about reading reading what you wrote " Sony started it by making it exclusive to PS1" there your saying its exclusive if it came out on Saturn its not exclusive just because it didnt come out on Nintendo doesnt mean its exclusive cause that would mean there are lots of games like Destiny COD AW and Battlefield are exclusive as well.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
That is just splitting hairs, and selective reading. It is broad term and to keep post short I did not go into details. Tomb Raider 2 and 3 was only on PS1 and PC, they were not on Sega Saturn. If I only said it was exclusive to PS1, the first part, then you would have a point, but where I mentioned about Nintendo was what I meant was that it was not on Nintendo 64, when it could have been.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
If there was going to be only one 'winner' in the far flung future of consoles, it'll be Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't need to compete with Sony or Microsoft. They're Nintendo. They've been in the game longer than both combined and you see that in their releases, consoles, and handhelds. Sony and Microsoft compete. Nintendo just does what Nintendo wants.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I though with this article going off that I'd throw a spanner in the works..
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 2 years ago
Also how would Nintendo of done a better job? Tomb Raider was made by Core Design Nintendo wouldnt of had anything to do with making it they would be in charge of marketing which for anything other then Mario they are poor at. TR 2 was being developed for the Saturn and stopped due to technical difficulties then Sony bought Exclusivity in 1997 up to 2000. This was after Tomb Raider had come out so they didnt stop the original Tomb Raider coming out on Nintendo consoles.
I don't know that Nintendo would have given Tomb Raider the Nintendo seal of quality.
When I said M$ started it I meant by taking a Multi-platform game & turning it into an exclusive. Sure the series did start as a 360 Exclusive but so did Saint's Row & Mass Effect
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 2 years ago
I think some people are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Neil 2 years ago
I'm with Angry Joe on this one, but I'll get an xbone when they hit the £200 mark so no worries
Triforce Protector's avatar
Triforce Protector 2 years ago
@STEVEN Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as a exclusive then phil spencer tried to make out that it's timed which it could still be there is still no word from square enix as to if it's an actual exclusive or how long the timed exclusivity is for maybe microsoft said if we publish it can we have the game before sony, street fighter 5 was sony's response to that exclusive and is a proper console exclusive but again we don't know if the updated versions will be these game companies are doing some shady deals i don't like it games should be available for all if they have a history of being multiplatform
PHILIP 2 years ago
Gloria... if Nintendo can give Superman on the Nintendo 64 their "seal of quality" they'll give it anything ;-) As been stated already though Nintendo have enough exclusives they don't need Tomb Raider.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 2 years ago
I am pretty sure a few years down line it will be open to release on ps3 & ps4.