PS4 and PS Plus see Sony's game division return to profit *update* 22.3 million consoles now sold worldwide

Update: We weren't sure if it was shipped or sold, but we no have confirmation that Sony has sold 22.3 million consoles worldwide since its November 2013 up until March 31st. Pretty impressive.

Original: Sony’s PlayStation business has made an operating profit of 48.1 billion yen or £261.5m, in the past 12 months.

Sales of the PlayStation 4 and PS Plus are the main reason and help see profit surge for the department, despite the slowing sales of the PS3, PSTV and PS Vita.

Last year the company made a 19 billion yen loss, however with over 20 million PS4 units sold worldwide as of March, Sony is expecting the momentum and therefore, profit, to continue rolling in, with another 40 billion yen profit already earmarked for next year.

In all, the Sony corporation made an operating profit of 68.5 billion yen or £372m over the past financial year, it looks like it can mainly thank PlayStation for that.

Edited On 30 Apr, 2015

Comments
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
Last I heard ps4 was at 20m and Xbox was at 11m, I'd like to know what the Xbox is at now compared to the ps4.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
PS4 is at double the Xbox One's current sales right now, so 11-12 million seems to be where the XB1 is sitting now. This console war is basically a slaughter at this point.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
Ha ha yeah pretty much lol. So far Me and 2 friends have ended up switching from Xbox One to PS4 with another planning to do so in July. Everything about the PS4 is just so much better, it just works without issue and after only owning my PS4 for a few days its made me realise just how terrible the Xbox One really is.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
Until you lose your temper and smash it with a hammer...
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
That was long over due and should of been done long before, The POS should of just worked without issue but most time there was always something. I should of traded it in but at the time I just didn't give a shit and to be honest it was quite satisfying to throw it in bin after many months of being annoyed/pissed of with it.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
I have got 2 Xbox ONEs and I have not had any issue with either of them. You should have returned it for a replacement. I have had a PS4 for a year now, and it rarely gets used as not many games have been released for it that I want. I like the Xbox ONE because of its snap feature, it is handy to be able switch between a game and an app, my friends are still on Xbox, I much prefer the Xbox controller and after 20 years playing a playstation I still can not get to grips with it (I tried the RIDE demo on PS4 and kept crashing, then I tried the demo on PC with Xbox 360 controller for windows and was in full control, and then got the game on Xbox ONE and was even better), Demand 5 has no ads, it is whisper quiet, and basically just has more exclusives I like, and gives me more fun. The PS4 is all nice looking and everything but is boring and not easy to control. This year the PS4 has only brought The Order and Bloodborne, and The Order have not bothered with yet, and to come is No Mans Sky provided it does not get delayed or cancelled. With Xbox ONE, there has been Scream Ride, FH2: Fast and Furious, Ori and the Blind Forest, State of Decay, Neverwinter and to come Tomb Raider, Halo 5, Elite Dangerous, Forza 6 for this year.