Preview: Splatoon helps Wii U get promoted

There is a fight going on in my living room, a fight for gaming space on the big screen. There’s a lot of competition, what with the PS4, PS3 and Xbox One and previously, the Wii U and Xbox 360. I say previously, as the latter were relegated to other rooms long ago. The Xbox 360 lost my interest when the new consoles arrived, while the Wii U found a new home in the room of my five year old.

Unfortunately for the Wii U, it didn’t get much use in my son’s room either. Sure we all appreciate Mario Kart, Smash Bros and the like, however we’ve also played them before and therefore games such as these find it hard to keep our attention, especially when the PS4 and Xbox One are taking up most of our time. But there is good news, the Wii U has very recently pulled off a giant killing masterstroke, in fact in the space of a few days it has went from neglected in my son's room to becoming the star of the living room. Yes, the Wii U has been promoted once more and it’s all thanks to Splatoon.

Splatoon is fantastic, I can’t really state than enough. You’ve probably seen the hype and either got on board or written it off, but I’m telling you that this game has provided me with probably the most fun I’ve had on a Nintendo console in years. Not only does the multiplayer hit all the right buttons, but the single player also impresses, bringing back the kind of boss battles that I used to stay awake for hours to reach. Splatoon’s best asset is that it’s so much fun, it’s the sort of game that you can just pick up and play without having to be a master of all things multiplayer. There is skill involved of course, however this is a game that is fun for everyone, there’s no unfair advantages or camping or anything like that. Everyone in the team knows their role, simply work together to cover the map in your team's coloured ink, while shooting any enemies you see on the way. It really is a game about teamwork and you can’t avoid that. Sure, you can go off on your own, but everyone has to contribute if you want your team to win.

There are no passengers and while there is no voice chat, it’s not needed. Let’s face it, most of the time in voice chat strangers are talking nonsense anyway and there would surely be no advantage should Nintendo have included this, well not for me since I rarely don a headset and talk online, having been put off years ago. Nintendo has got this one right IMO, leave the online chat to other games, and allow Splatoon to be a game in which everyone, for kids to adults, has fun without the chat and often inappropriate behaviour.

What’s great about playing online in Splatoon is that matches are always very evenly fought out and you just never know who is going to win. One minute you think you’re on top and then along will come the opposition with one of the many weapons, such as the roller, which covers you’re previously painted area in the oppositions paint, undoing all of your hard work within seconds. To retaliate you’ll get out the rollers, thrown paint bombs and more, but the clock is always ticking and you’ll never truly know which team has won until the final percentage tally pops up at the end.

As mentioned, there’s a campaign too, bringing fun gameplay to the lone player. It’s pretty much fully fleshed out and not only gives you a challenge, but also grabs your attention so much that it’s hard to put down. I don’t want to talk too much about any area of the game as I’ll leave that for the review, but just be assured that Splatoon is about more than its multiplayer.

We’ll have a review for Splatoon for you later this month, but I just wanted to let you know that so far I’m very impressed and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Edited On 13 May, 2015

Comments
It's a fantastic game, sadly it will be largely overlooked by the majority on the basis that 'it's too kiddy' or 'no voice chat' by people too lazy to even try the game for themselves.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
If there is a decent single player game in it, then I may get it, but its main focus is multiplayer, and looks like COD, Battlefield, Killzone etc but with ink instead of bullets. I will certainly try this game, if I can, hopefully there will be a demo, but not buying it to try it out.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Our review isn't for a few weeks, but I can tell you that it has quite a bit single player portion. It's also a lot different from COD, Battlefield etc. More fun imo. :D
'looks like COD, Battlefield, Killzone etc but with ink instead of bullets.' PMSL, really, the stupidity of some 'people'
Kwan 2 years ago
You are misunderstanding the nature of the game if you think it's like a standard FPS but for the ink. Splatoon is not about eliminating your opponents (It helps of course). The team who has the most territory shall win, K/D ratio is a passing thought. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, will definitely pick it up :)
Michael 2 years ago
I am looking forward to this a lot still but no voice chat? Really nintendo? It's a team based game for God sake, still I'm buying it tho because it'll still be fun :)
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
What I find most frustrating is that you can't change weapons during a game. i.e when you respawn. You can't even quit in the lobby or change weapons. Nintendo has a lot to learn about the basics of multiplayer. Other than that, it's pretty awesome so far.
Well since the game is going to be supported quite well I would expect Ninty to utilise a loadout system for when you respawn at some point
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
The game certainly looks a lot of fun with other people, as that is what is mainly being shown, but little is known about the single player. With COD, Battlefield etc the single player portion is not as good as games like Alien Isolation or Wolfenstein, because the multiplayer portion of COD etc is its greatest strength, and that is why it looks like COD, Battlefield etc It certainly does not look like a Zelda type game!
GameXplain have been posting the Splatoon Single player so go watch some of that
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
I've been playing the single player. You don't need to worry about that. The boss battles are awesome, classic Nintendo.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 2 years ago
"With COD, Battlefield etc the single player portion is not as good as games like Alien Isolation or Wolfenstein, because the multiplayer portion of COD etc is its greatest strength, and that is why it looks like COD, Battlefield etc It certainly does not look like a Zelda type game!" - Gibberish.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Believe me, I'm embargoed, but the Splatoon single player is B*******t. L**i*g I* :D
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
Wouldn't say its like cod though. It's like nerf arena battle with ink haha. Think I ordered this with all amiibo from Nintendo - need to look it up cos may not have enough in that account for it. Wonder if this will be a game in the championships?
Nintendo don't usually do embargoes, I guess because it's a new IP they want to keep things under wraps, it's definitely not for the usual reason for embargoes.
PHILIP 2 years ago
I'll give it a go hopefully it will be good. I love Nintendo but sadly the Wii u hardly gets used anymore which is a shame :-(
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 2 years ago
Nintendo does embargos like everyone else. It just uniforms coverage.