Elder Scrolls Online includes CD Key in box *update* No it doesn't confirms Bethedsa

Update: We have our copy of Elder Scrolls Online now and just wanted to confirm that there is no need to register a CD key in order to play. The only code included in the box is the Explorer's Pack, which is for bonus DLC.

Bethedsa have also confirmed this is the case.

We will update our original review and stream some of the game soon.

Original: If you are planning to own Elder Scrolls Online for PS4 or Xbox One, then you may be interested to know that players are required to register a CD key included in the box to access the game, so pre-owned or rental copies will not work.

"It works the same way as the PC version in that the code included in the box is to activate your ESOTU account and the discs are for installation purposes. If you own the disc but don't have a key, you'll be able to install the game and reach the login screen, but you won't be able to log in and access the game without an active ESOTU account," explains Bethedsa.

All versions of The Elder Scrolls Online will offer a subscription-free model, with optional in-game purchases taking the place of a monthly fee.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited launches on PS4 and Xbox One on June 9.

Edited On 08 Jun, 2015

Comments
Triforce Protector's avatar
Triforce Protector 2 years ago
@Joe Bethesda has said that all you need is the disc theres no key or any kind of restrictions for those who buy it pre owned the story they said is incorrect
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
if thats true then thats bad. i was going to rent it from boomerang cos i really don't care about this game but I wanted to see how it is on the console. Guess I can't if this happens.
Neil 2 years ago
Wouldn't buy before, wont buy now. Bethesda, if we are talking Elder Scrolls, give me 6, I'm simply not interested in MMO garbage
Triforce Protector's avatar
Triforce Protector 2 years ago
i'll say it again bathesda said this story is not true heres the link http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-online-xbox-one-ps4-does-not-lock-ou/1100-6427322/
PHILIP 2 years ago
After the vampire bug I hit in the Ps3 elder scroll oblivion that they didn't fix AND the awful bugs in Skyrm I wont touch one of their games again. I know glitches can happen but the game was so broken it was ridiculous.
Like Protector said. You don't need a key as that was a bit of misinformation. Also there was a easy workaround for that bug in Oblivion & I've never heard of any game breaking bugs in Skyrim.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
ahh, that comment wasn't there before - things come and go on here sometimes in work, thing their security messes up the refresh sometimes. TBH, I woulnd't have been that surprised if it did have a key - personally, if i gave a toss about the game I would have rather got a key - like FF14, because the MMO i like having fully installed and not needing a cd in the drive - so would have been good, but I don't think this will get a big following. The 'Welcome back' beta people thing a few months ago played like it did in the beta to me, generic fetch quests and kill quests. Will just rent if the code thing is a lie
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
be funny, if they said it was a mistake and not true, then the pre-orders all get made again then people realise on release it was true and they had keys. or maybe a 75/25% mod funding support ;)
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
Does anyone know how I can get Playstation Now on my PS4? Can't find it in the Playstation store and I wanna play one of the Uncharted games.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
its currently in Public beta - do a search, they may still be taking applications. I only signed up about a month ago. I'm gonna happily pay the subscription for it when its live if they add more decent games
I thought it was a game by game basis
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
both - us accounts have to option of per game basis or 20 dollars a month for over 150 games - like Onlive. if they do the monthly here for about 10-12 ish then i'll do that for a bit
PHILIP 2 years ago
@Loli-nox-tan I had Skyrim about 3 weeks after release and although you are right they were not "game breaking bugs" I still had glitches and lag/ freezing issues which required a restart. At that time my kids were young and gaming time was very limited due to parenting and working etc so when I forked out near full price for a title, sat down to what felt unfinished I was more than pissed off. And the Vampire bug work around for oblivion was something to do with language change I think (I may be wrong) did'nt work for me and I was also stuck when feeding on victims. I gave up on it. Both experiences ruined the games for me and made me very wary of Bethesda titles.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
All MMOs, no matter who makes the games, have bugs in them, but they are more likely to get fixed, as the devs are constantly working on the game, and they are always evolving. They add more content / update the game, and new bugs pop up, and then get fixed, and so on.
PHILIP 2 years ago
I accept games can have issues and update patches but Skyrim was awful should never of been released in the form it was at the time. In that case should the box artwork have had a warning saying "game very likely to have bugs but hopefully it will work ok but feel free to pay our rrp of £49.99" ? If you find that acceptable you carry on. Sorry but Skyrim AT THE TIME was laggy, freezing, problems with missions etc and it had been out at least a month. Sitting down to an unfinished game was not my idea of fun especially when my time was limited. When I put hours and hours into Oblivion and I could'nt get round the glitch it ruined it for me. Did they fix that ? No they did'nt. Or if they did it was months after they were aware of it by which point it had been sold on ebay. No excuse.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Skyrim on the PS3 should never have been released, really. It was a very poor version and wasn't fixed. The 360 and PC had good versions though and were worth the money.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 2 years ago
What I am saying that is even though it is Bethseda, you should not ignore it from past experience, as in a MMO world, bugs come and go, whereas games like oblivion and Skyrim will more likely stay broke, as they have moved on to their next game. Devs do not move on with MMOs until popularity is at a low, and then soon after it shuts down. Although if you do not like unfinished games, or bugs, then MMOs are not really your thing, as MMOs are never finished, as they keep updating it to keep people paying money to it. SWG has to be the worst case scenario for broken MMOs - it had plenty of bugs, to begin with items would get lost in your inventory and then pop up a day or two later, but was still liked due to all the features, then they add more stuff, and something that was working, no longer works the next day, on one patch you could not access the storage of your crafting machine, but was then swiftly fixed. The worst thing was grinding for Jedi, just as soon as I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours unlocking Jedi, they then open up Jedi to all. But I still went back as its features made it a unique MMO, and I could not get satisfaction in any other MMO.
Tbh most PS3 Mutiplats were crap ports. So part of the blame is on Sony
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
surely if 'multi platform ports' were bad on ps3 that's the devs fault, not Sony. If they couldn't optimise then why is it Sony's fault? If Sony developed games were bad then fair enough. That's like saying all Multi platform games on the Wii U like AC and COD perform worse than the other consoles and thus Nintendo is partly to blame. Yet you look at Nintendo own games and its obvious if you program correctly then you can create games that look great and run smooth.
I said part
PHILIP 2 years ago
The thing is guys I just remained bitter about it. I do understand problems occur regardless of the developer be in Bethesda or anyone else its just the fact two elder scrolls titles gave me grief and left a bad taste. My friend ran into a bug on Metroid M something to do with a door glitching and she couldn't finish it and she was really pissed off so its just the way it goes I guess.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
shame - with a code it would have meant it was like FF14 where it is installed and doesn't' need a disc - even if you are on a retail version. Ah well, I ordered this - just to bump my Very order up to 125 so I can get 9 months interest free :) Will give it a go - see if they have made it any better regarding the controls.