Project Morpheus to launch in Q1 2016, say Sony *update*

Update: Following up from the story below, Sony has said that it plans to release Project Morpheus in Q1 2016, which means that it will be released before March 31, 2016.

News of the date comes via a presentation to investors, in which Sony also outlined plans for continued support of first and third-party titles, as well as its plans to enhance PlayStation Plus value to customers and pushing for more customers and also continuing to push for hardware cost reduction.

Original: Sony’s PS4 VR headset Project Morpheus will be available to buy before this time next year.

That's according to a Japanese newspaper known as Asahi, although it’s unclear if that release window is for Japan or global.

Project Morpheus will no doubt be a big focus of Sony's E3 press conference next month, with new games for the device and more details of its qualities sure to be revealed.

Are you excited for Project Morpheus?

Edited On 27 May, 2015

Comments
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 2 years ago
If it works for FPS such as call of duty and others then I'll buy it on release, if it only works for indie games then just forget about it.
Neil 2 years ago
Haha, I'm guessing Sony wont invest just for indie games, you'll be buying on release lad, it will be up to the devs to support it
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
Long as Farming Simulator supports it then yup - i'll order. Seriously though - they have pretty much (except sniper elite and Trine and pinball) dropped 3D gaming support so I don't see this being that popular. People will complain of motion sickness and if you wear glasses you won't be able to wear it etc... Even the Oculus is just becoming gimmicky now with very little 'official' support - most games that support it are because of mods
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
Plus, looking at the vid on the sony site - connects via hdmi + usb - so 2 wires? thought it would be wireless? also - 9 lovely bright LEDs, so you need the PS camera to make it work with motion as doesn't appear to have motion control built in. Don't think i'll bother with this one :)
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 2 years ago
It never supposed to be wireless. And motion tracking is optional since PM is mainly a 3DTV alternative for PS4...
I'm sure it has been confirmed that you could just use the VR headsets at displays. Even if I rarely use the VR part, just using it as a display is worth it to me
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
that's why i'm finding it a bit pointless - if used for VR - great - if just a £D tv - pretty bad. I have a 51" 3D tv and there is literally no support for 3D on the PS4 except Sniper elite, pinball and Trine 1/2. So I don't see a lot of copmanies adapting to it - and if they do surely I can benefit from my own 3D tv as it is?
For console gaming I really don't see how much benefit VR will be. Beyond Sony games I don't think it will be supported all that well
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 2 years ago
nah, wires are a major issue for me, i mean i can only see the game screen , i swipe my hand, catch the wire, PS4 comes flying off my cabinet, boom i need a new ps4