Steam Machines dated for November release

Valve will launch its Steam Machines, Steam Controller and Steam Link device this November.

The Steam Machine is designed to sit under your TV, Steam Link is designed to link your PC to your TV by streaming games to it and the controller features a couple of big track-pad areas, one with a D-pad, as well as an analog stick, face buttons, haptic feedback and triggers.

Steam Machines start around the £350 mark and the price goes up depending on the specs. The controller is around £35, while Steam Link is around £40.

Do you think Steam Machines will take off?

Let us know your opinion.

Edited On 05 Jun, 2015

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I'm hoping that it will indeed take off. I'm personally going to get the steam controller because you can use it on non steam games aswell. Might even get the steam link aswell but atm I have £32 in steam credit and the controller is £40
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
defo wont be getting a steam machine - just an over-priced Linux PC. the controller is a maybe. and the link, nah, not until they mod it to work on the general destkop as I have a hdmi to send my pc to my tv so I can use it while in the living room - if the link is limited to just sending over steam then its useless to em
Bonesinferno's avatar
Bonesinferno 2 years ago
Seems like a bit of a rip off, Most laptops have hdmi ports you can plug into TV. All you need is a 360 controller for windows and hey presto! Or any controller if you know how to install the drivers
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 2 years ago
Very good idea these machines. But doubt I will get it. Only game I play on PC atm is FM and the Steam Machine I want would cost more than 350.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
hmmm, from another site - 'the GPU is upgradable but is on the motherboard (so its a custom chip you have to buy direct from dell) and it performs at the level of a Geforce 860m (which is crap! my GTX480 out performs the 860m in speed tests)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
I think the steam machines are a brilliant idea for people who have been interested in PC gaming but don't really know where to start interms of getting a rig together and stuff.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 2 years ago
turnip you can pick up an r280x for around the £100 mark though and the r280x has no issues running new releases in high settings at a solid 60fps
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
you can, my 480 is only about 60 quid now, noisy but does the job - expecially if you put in 2 of them. But, reading baout the Alienware one - you are limited by what they let you upgrade - so like a laptop. some parts are generic PC components - others, like the GPU is on the motherboard in a 'custom built' format and are Laptop graphics. So you would be better off building your own mini pc for the same or less, sticking on windows (or linux if you really want) and using that. At least then you can fully upgrade if you want to in the future.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 2 years ago
I just see this as the 'Android Tablet' of consoles - each one is different, may not work with very latest games and will only have full support up until a new model is released with different hardware. I'm on the fence with the controller too as it looks a bit iffy, used to the 360 and ps4 ones and it doens't look that different as people will figure out how to get the programable menu to appear for other gamepads also - maybe even use the touchpad of the ds4