Sony won't follow Microsoft with backwards compatibility

PlayStation Europe boss, Jim Ryan has responded to Microsoft's Xbox One backwards compatibility news by confirming that Sony will not be "following the same tactic."

Speaking to the MCV, Ryan said that instead Sony has chosen to focus on, "SharePlay, on things like Play as you Download, and things like Suspend/Resume," and of course, Sony has PlayStation Now, which will currently in beta, is a great way to play any old title, even if you don't own them.

Ryan also added that while Microsoft's idea is a good for the company, there wasn't enough "software engineers in the world" to do everything.

"Unfortunately there are just not sufficient enough software engineers in the world for everyone to do everything. Each platform holder has to make their choices, we made one and they made another. Their choice is entirely legitimate, and I think our choice is legitimate, too. In some ways it is quite nice to have points of difference between the two platforms, and people will decide which approach suits them best.

“We have experience of backwards compatibility. The earliest PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS2, and it is a much requested feature… but actually it’s not so greatly used.

"On balance, we are happy with our approach and we don’t wish to be defensive about it at all. But as I say, both approaches are legitimate."

Edited On 17 Jun, 2015

Comments
TekkieX's avatar
TekkieX 1 year ago
Why would they when they already ask you to pay/subscribe to play all your old PS3 games a second time even if you already own a game digitally or have the disc. I looked at my X1 about an hour after the announcement and sure enough Perfect Dark, the Banjo games and a few others currently in the preview were there ready to download and play because I owned them already digitally on the 360, stuck my Perfect Dark Zero disc in and that downloaded.
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 1 year ago
He has a point - it does seem to be one of those features that everybody wants but no one really uses. It seems to be more of a safety blanket when crossing over to a new console. I don't particularly have any desire to replay any old PS3 games now I have a collection of new PS4 games to play, but if I did I've still got my PS3 and games collection in another room. That being said however, PlayStation Now would be much more successful if you didn't have to pay again to play games you already own (assuming they are just straight ports). It can't be that difficult to read a blu-ray and validate if a disc gives you access to play the title on PlayStation Now. My guess is if it proves to be a massive system selling success for Microsoft the feature will be available on PlayStation Now by the end of next year... In the meantime there are other things I would rather see on PS4 first...
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 1 year ago
Also a lot of digital games are already cross-buy- when I first bought a PS4 there were several games already waiting in my library because I owned them on PS3 or PSVita...
Demix's avatar
Demix 1 year ago
I think SONY should let games you digitaly own be streamed on your ps4 for free
PHILIP 1 year ago
If I get an xbox one I think there will be a few old 360 games I would play on there but I remember when I owned an original ps3 I wasnt bothered about ps2 backward compatibility on the system after about 3 or 4 months. Just never wanted to play older games when the new generation of titles were available. Mind you I think Its a better option than Sonys Playstation now.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
i bought a PS3 recently (for £3.20 - broke but within an hour I had fixed it) and I'll use that for PS3 games, used PS Now for a few games on PS4 but not a lot. I see MS using this as they have with Fallout - the possibility to give people the prequel for free even if on the 360. which is a nice feature. Just remember though - the Xbox original > Xbox 360 list wasn't that big and missed out on certain games
Exonica's avatar
Exonica 1 year ago
It was needed on last gen due to Xbox an ps2 games stopped getting made basically straight after new gen released but 360 an PS3 has had a long Grace period of new game that came out on old and new so I believe shareplay is better to focus on since backwards compatible is needed even less than it was on last gen
Andrew 1 year ago
the price structure of ps now is a joke. ive been using the beta for it. to play uncharted 1 2 or 3 it is £4.99 for 2 days or £9.99 for 30. or you could buy an actual copy for a fiver and keep it forever. im a ps user, but the ONLY reason they wont do backwards compatibilty is because they want people to pay again. simple. ps now is pointless if you still have a ps3.
PHILIP 1 year ago
I'd much rather buy a game off ebay second hand and keep it till I've finished it than use psnow its not good value at all. Or as already suggested if you have the retail /disc version and put it in the console let you play them for free.
PHILIP 1 year ago