Phil Spencer wanted to tell everyone about Xbox One backwards compatibility before E3

Microsoft's Phil Spencer has told Edge Magazine that there were numerous times over the last six months when he wanted to tell people not to sell their Xbox 360 games, but couldn't for fear of spoiling on of Microsoft's big E3 surprises.

Talking about the new backwards compatibility feature for Xbox One, Spencer said, “This, for me, as a gamer and as somebody who cares so much about the brand, has been the hardest thing about not leaking it.

"I’ve wanted to tell people, ‘Hold onto your 360 games!’ There were a hundred times where people had to stop me from tweeting that out over the past six months, because as I would see a game that works I wanted to tell people: ‘Keep it – don’t sell that! Even if you sell your 360, keep your games!’"

But how does this new feature work, when it was previously thought to be impossible? Emulation, says Spencer. “The team took the approach of effectively running the whole 360 OS on the Xbox One, which is why you can play with Live and everything else.

"That was the most difficult thing: could we get the 360 OS to boot so it thinks it’s running on native hardware? The nice thing is that the developers don’t have to do anything. They approve the game, we run it through a test pass, obviously, to make sure everything’s fine, then we have to wrap it up as an Xbox One game so the Xbox One knows you’re actually running a game."

So what do you think of this feature Xbox Fans?

Sony fans have PlayStation Now of course, but with Microsoft not charging a penny for the use of backwards compatibility, it may force Sony into rethinking its charge for PS Plus users. This would then put both on what essentially would be an even footing.

Edited On 06 Jul, 2015

Comments
Triforce Protector's avatar
Triforce Protector 1 year ago
good thing he didn't, Sony whooped them even with the announcement at E3, it would have been a bloodbath if he had done it before E3 the mistake was having their conference before Sony they could have made some changes like Sony did in 2013.
Wicksy1970's avatar
Wicksy1970 1 year ago
Eh, clearly you saw a different E3 to most other people.
Neil 1 year ago
"Sony Sony Sony, Sony Sony... Sony!!" That's all I read in the first post
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
so he is saying that basically the xbox one has an emulated 360? I find this a bit hard to believe - if that was the case then PC's would be able to emulate the Xbox 360. As far as I'm aware, the games have been specially converted on MS end - so if you pop in a 360 game it downloads the Xbox one compatible version and runs that - if it runs natively then someone will probably crack and port a version to the PC - seeing as same architecture as the Xbox one now
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
just watched a vid on it - guess it is emulated - so i'm guessing Xbox 360 on PC wont be much longer now :) I do like the fact you can actually stream the xbox 360 games though - Sony needs to take note of that - they don't let you stream the PS Now games (probably because it needs as much bandwidth as possible to stream the games) but it would be nice (mainly for playing on my PS TV - until the app is released for the PS TV)
PHILIP 1 year ago
Sony are bound to alter their price now as I think this is a good move by Microsoft.
PHILIP 1 year ago
Or at least in the near future....
Hallix's avatar
Hallix 1 year ago
surely if it is an Emulator then there should be no need to download the 360 game from Microsoft to the hard drive ,( to my already full hard drive ), it should load and play from the inserted 360 discs.
Michael 1 year ago
It's brilliant that they are doing this feature soon, make enough top titles backwards compatible and I will be more than happy.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Tbh I would pay a one-off fee for an official 360 emulator to be able to play my 360 games on PC. Microsoft are missing a trick here