PlayStation has its "most successful Black Friday in the company's history," says Andrew House

Sony's Andrew House has said PlayStation "had it's most successful Black Friday in company history," and adds that the company are hoping to match or exceed PlayStation 2 sales in the first five years of the PS4's life on the market.

The PS4 is currently the fastest-selling home console ever, exceeding the early performance of the PlayStation 2, which went on to sell more than 155 million units in its 12 year life on the market.

Three years after its March 2000 launch, the PS2 had sold 51 million units, and by the end of 2005 more than 100 million had been sold. Currently the PS4 sits at around 31.5 million mark (possibly more) and if it continues to stay above PS2's trajectory for the first five years on sale, it will pass the '100 million PS4's sold mark' by the end of 2018.

Mr House isn't so sure that the PS4 will beat PS2's lifetime sales of 155 million, given "the cadence at which people expect innovation is speeding up," but saying that, nothing is impossible and with sales showing no signs of slowing and next year's exclusive line up looking mighty impressive, as well as the upcoming release of PlayStation VR, it's hard to see what will stop people buying the console.

It's not just Sony celebrating Black Friday of course, Microsoft was very pleased with its own Black Friday numbers, with Xbox One continuing to grab people's attention. It's someway behind PS4 in terms of overall sales thanks to a slow start, however on a weekly basis there isn't much between the two, which makes a mockery of those who say consoles are a thing of the past.

Edited On 07 Dec, 2015

Comments
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 1 year ago
it's not surprising how the ps4 sells more, all its games and accessories are cheaper, and every sale shop to do is more catered for the ps4, all I can say is if you want a console from a company that keeps getting hacked carry on and buy a ps4, I'll stick with xbox one, better online experience and better quality all round :)
PHILIP 1 year ago
I do love how fanboys get hurt and defensive when the "other console" gets praise lol. Ps4 And Xbox are both good as any true gamer can see.
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 1 year ago
not a fan boy, I had a ps4 when it came out, just prefer the xbox, just makes me laugh how it's always ps4 that gets the good deals on this site, most ps4 games on this site are a tenner cheaper than the xbox versions ???
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
This article was about everywhere though - not just on shop to - plus most the deals will be authorised by the manufactures. Microsoft are an expensive company overall. I am thinking of getting an Xbox 1 but its 200 with Rare and oni? I dunno though - I can't think of too many things I want to play.
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 1 year ago
yeah that's a good point, it is expensive
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 1 year ago
PC anyone?
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 1 year ago
Right here Joe, Enjoying those silky smooth frame rates :D
Fear Sinséir1612's avatar
Fear Sinséir1612 1 year ago
Turnip, whatever you do, DO NOT get a games console other than the Wii U to potter about with! What you should get, is one them Steam machines. Treat yourself and get an i7, if you have the funds. You can't go much wrong there :) :)!!
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 1 year ago
Fear, I have a 360, ps3, ps4, i7 PC, 3ds, vita, wii u and a few older consoles. Hence why the Xbone is really the only other thing I could get :P
PHILIP 1 year ago
@viper We all have our prefered consoles. I would only want an xbox 1 for Ori as it looks brillaint and am tempted by the Rare/ori bundle but as a gamer I think Wii u, ps4 and Xbox consoles are fantastic in their own way. As for PC gaming.... 10 years ago that was my main choice but then I had kids and didn't like being upstairs while my family was downstairs so adapted to consoles so we was together in the lounge for that reason.
vx THE VIPER xv's avatar
vx THE VIPER xv 1 year ago
yeah I get that, consoles are great for playing with the whole family
PHILIP 1 year ago
Yeah until a big row breaks out lol. Hopefully if you still have your ps4 you may grow to like it again with upcoming releases next year. Microsoft have good exclusives too so great either way :-)