Games with GOLD for January 2016

Microsoft announced the latest Games with Gold earlier this month for January.

So the next titles to arrive for members in the line-up are four new free games, two on Xbox One and two on Xbox 360.

Games with GOLD

On Xbox One, Xbox Live Gold members can download Killer Instinct for free, while Zheros will be available as a free download from January 16th to February 15th.

On Xbox 360, starting tomorrow, New Years Day, DiRT Showdown will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through January 15th. Then on January 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Deus Ex Human Revolution for free through January 31st.

As you’d might expect, both DiRT Showdown and Deus Ex Human Revolution will work on Xbox One!

Edited On 30 Dec, 2015

Comments
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Ps plus also announced :) - supposedly the Deus ex has no dlc and is the standard edition. But they said they trying to get the directors cut version working - not sure what the issue is unless if the BC doesn't like dlc yet? Showdown is good for good old destruction derby fun
PHILIP 11 months ago
Well I have just bought an xbox one off a friend who never uses it as he prefers ps4 so I got it for £100 with 10 games so couldn't really say no to it. I am picking it up tomorrow - alot of money to pay though as I only really want it for 5/6 games. I'll see how I feel about it over the weekend... I Wonder what Killer instinct is like ? I've only played the Super Nintendo one in the 90's
PHILIP 11 months ago
@ turnip - I think grim fandango is on plus this month - played the original for hours years ago
sackdemajick's avatar
sackdemajick 11 months ago
well after my xbox one bricked and died on me, I only have my pc and ps4 now! I just wish Sony would do the back cat for free ????
PHILIP 11 months ago
I don't think they'll do that to be honest. I haven't tried "ps now" out but the backward compatability on the xbone seems to be a favourite with people.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Hasn't it got issues with multiple discs atm though? and Halo Reach is supposedly really bad on it. Guess it is a lot of work making old games emulate at a decent rate. I was gonna get a Xbox One before I lost my job but I couldn't think of any exclusives I wanted to play, so I decided not to. Personally I don't see the need for BC (but i'm the minority it seems) - I got a PS3 from CEX for 40 quid and popped a 1tb drive in it to play PS3 games (most of which are PS Plus I've collected over the years for free) - I'd rather them work on new stuff rather then working out emulation. (Ps2 new games are good, but same thing really, if I had a choice between an emulated PS2 or them working on new PS4 stuff I would chose new stuff)
PHILIP 11 months ago
@turnip I agree with you mate. I had a first batch ps3 console and must of only loaded about 6 ps2 games on it. BC appeals to a fair few people but truth is it dont hold long term appeal. I would much them rather work on new stuff. Not many exclusives appeal to me on xbox I only having my mates as he is selling it for £100 and that is a bargain and I can always sell it if I dont like it. Mainly want Ori and the blind forest it looks such a good game.
PHILIP 11 months ago
Shit just seen halo reach using the BC on it - looks bloody awful unplayable !
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
I have Ori on the PC - not got round to playing it yet though. Been on Yakuza 5 too much! just over 139 hour so far and about 26% of the way through the completion haha!
PHILIP 11 months ago
I seen you was on that the other day lol
Lawler_1093's avatar
Lawler_1093 11 months ago
I'm the same with fallout, turnip Lord. I got the platinum trophy the other day but I'm still on it for hours on end
PHILIP 11 months ago
Well Xbox picked up and plugged in last night... cosmetic looks wise I prefer the ps4... See what I think over the weekend. Looking forward to playing Ori
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
I think backwards compatibility is more desirable for Xbox 360 and PS3 than older consoles due to achievements and wanted DLC (not being available forever). I prefer spending time playing games and getting achievements / trophies. The current gen consoles are still pretty much lacking as there are tonnes of games on xbox 360 that I did not buy. Xbox 360 has more games needing playing still than what is on Xbox ONE. I only just realised that the Porcshe expansion for Forza 4 has been removed from the marketplace, which I missed out on, so best play Xbox 360 / PS3 games first before they go poof. I am not too bothered by BC as I still play on my Xbox 360 too. Microsoft did the BC to try and push people from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox ONE. The BC has been a bit underwhelming though considering the games just mainly need authorisation from the developers, and is not so viable as perceived from E3 There are no Rockstar games yet that are BC with Xbox ONE. Red Dead Redemption is majorly wanted.
PHILIP 11 months ago
@superniceguy - Eh ? I thought they all played as long as you had the disc and the 100 or so titles mentioned were to download/buy instead.. bugger it.
PHILIP 11 months ago
I never got round to playing Alan Wake when I had a 360 and Fable anniversary came out just after I sold it so them two titles appealed to me the most as well. Wonder if there is any demand for them.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
Technically all single disc Xbox 360 games will work on the Xbox ONE, but MS needs the permissions of the developers to make it available. The BC on Xbox 360 for original Xbox games needed tweaking by the developers, so required more work. Maybe the reason why the 360 games are coming slowly to Xbox ONE, is that MS or the developers are testing the games on the Xbox ONE first before saying "yes", or the developers may have plans to "remaster" the games like Prototype 1 and 2, Deadpool etc. BC has also stopped some games being remastered, as I think EA were going to remaster Mass Effect series but then made it available for BC on Xbox ONE
PHILIP 11 months ago
Oh I see... so over time titles will gradually get released with developers permission.... Why would they say no anyway I don't understand why they cant just automatically be available ? Surely that will help sales...
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
@Philip - the 360 games are only the ones that MS have made an emulator for as its a emulator for each game rather than an emulator for all (a bit like how the PS2 one works, only that one is a bit more advanced due to new trophies and upscaling). I think there is about 120 games that currently work in it, but only about 30 are disc based, the rest are XBLA downloads. I remember them doing this with the original Xbox > 360 and they stopped after about a year and about 200 titles so i dunno how long this will go on being developed (expecially how the crappy Xbox One Lite is being rumoured - its an Xbox one that doesn't play Xbox 360/one games, it plays windows 10 store games and streams from your pc/xbox one - thats all. So a bit like the PSTV - without the games)
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
sorry, Xbox One Slim (still don't know why the Xbox name is rumoured to be associated with it - if anything its a Windows 10 device, not a Xbox one.) What i've never understood with games for gold is why it has 2 games but they swap half way through the month - is it so you have something new every 2 weeks rather than 4? I would just prefer them at the beginning.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
No. MS are not creating an emulator for each 360 game. It is a 360 emulator on Xbox ONE that allows to play all (single disc for now) 360 games. Each game will come to Xbox ONE through developer permission, plus requires a digital version to download, as the Xbox ONE can not read 360 discs but accesses the disc for verification of ownership. There are 2 reasons I can think of for the developer to say no, and that could be either because the developers think the game plays too poorly and do not want gamers playing a buggy mess, and other may want to create new versions for the Xbox ONE and PS4 so that people have to buy them again eg Prototype and Deadpool. Plus there could be many behind the scenes reasons.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
If MS did create an emulator for each game then Halo Reach may have been more playable, but MS are looking at fixing it now. There should end up being way more 360 games on Xbox ONE than there were Xbox games on 360 but they may have more problems, and if they do have problems and the games are popular then MS may put effort in fixing them. Here is full details on the backwards compatibility - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/revealed-how-xbox-one-can-play-360-games-via-backw/1100-6428366/
PHILIP 11 months ago
Oh I see. Well I think the best bet as it stands is just keep the 360 if you have one. I must say after my first weekend with the xbox one I am still prefering the Ps4 but I am gonna keep it. I was impressed with Halo 5 had an hour on it (after a bloody long install/update) but I am only interested in a few of its exclusives - mainly gears of war 4 later in the year. Controller has great Dpad nice and clicky but dual shock feels better and with more features. Had a go on xbox live and was pissed off with kids screaming and swearing every 6 words so that lasted 5 minutes. Still a bloody good console though and alot easier to plug the cables into the back than the Ps4. Gonna get back to Until Dawn now - finished the game so working on the platinum.
PHILIP 11 months ago
@turnip / superniceguy thanks for all the info earlier by the way....
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
just read that article - very interesting, I always thought it was like the Xbox > 360 with individual wraps. Having a 'one for all' is just asking for someone to find a way of getting that emulator off the Xbox one and getting it to run on the PC so you can inject any game you want and run them on the PC. I guess a lot of companies want to focus on going forward and not letting people pop in older disks when they can just 'remaster' them and bring them out for a cost. Would have throught - for multi disk - all they have to do is have each disk emulated in their own option. Games like Lost Odyssey asks you to save then swap disks, at that point you can save, close, open the next disk and load - like how you did it on the psp with PS1 games (when you could load your own PS1 rips via modding).
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
@Philip I am liking the PS4 now, and I bought the limited edition star wars PS4. If you want to add me PS4: superniceguy_2 Xbox: superniceguy. I still prefer the Xbox ONE overall, but they are both good. I do not like the new dash on Xbox ONE, a few features lacking - not so easy to see the timed achievements and can not hide games in your list (I mainly did this for demos/betas/alphas of games that were released and no longer needed), you could see more on the old UI at a glance, but the new one is more detailed though. Plus I have gotten so used to the Xbox controller, it is weird using the PS4 analogue sticks and I keep pressing the share button thinking it is a select button. Xbox ONE had an awesome year, but there does not look much coming in 2016. I am not too bothered by Gears of War 4, the only game I am eager for is Quantum Break, plus there will probably be Forza Horizon 3. My current collection will keep me occupied throughout 2016. PS4 has more stuff coming that I like the look of - Shadow of the Beast, Uncharted 4, No Mans Sky, Last Guardian, Gran Turismo, Yakuza Zero, Ratchet and Clank plus will be picking up some PS2 classics, Dark Cloud is on my wishlist along with Yakuza 5, and if rumours are true the original KOTOR is supposed to be coming to PS4 too.
PHILIP 11 months ago
@superniceguy Ok mate will be back on it after work on Tuesday morning (I work nights) so will add then. I agree the xbox dashboard really didn't grab me either but I cant compare to the original one as I didn't see it. The upcoming Recore looks good as well. I've just remembered you not liking the playstation a few months back - glad you enjoy it now too - whichever console you prefer there is some really good stuff on the way :-)
PHILIP 11 months ago
@turnip did you get dark cloud mate ? I know it has trophy support and slight upgraded visuals but £11.99 for an old ps2 game does seem a bit on the high side - I loved it years ago one of my first games I bought just wondered if it still was what you expected ?
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Nah, didn't get it yet - with losing my job i'm being careful on what I buy. The only PS2 game I have is Parappa the rapper 2. I'm currently too obsessed with Yakuza 5 to play anything else - i'm on 190 hours so far on my first playthrough! Its crazy how i'm basically playing the PS3 more than the PS4 for this one game - guess it did technically come out 3 years ago though (only just got the English translation)