Rise of the Tomb Raider arrives January 28 for Windows 10 and Steam

Update: Following Rise of the Tomb Raider’s release for Xbox One and Xbox 360, Square Enix today announced that the game will be available for Windows 10 and Steam on January 28th, 2016.

“The PC release of Rise of the Tomb Raider continues the positive momentum from our partnership and collaboration with Microsoft for the launch on Xbox One and Xbox 360,” said Scot Amos co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics.

“PC players are a passionate, devoted audience and we know they’ll embrace the version created for their systems,” said Ron Rosenberg, co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics.

The Standard edition of the game is priced at £39.99/€49.99. The Digital Deluxe edition is £59.99/€77.99 and includes a Season Pass to nearly all current and future DLC.

Original: A new Steam posting suggests that PC users will be seeing Rise of the Tomb Raider later this month.

Square has yet to announce an exact date, although the publisher did previously confirm that the game will release on PC in early 2016, with the PS4 version to follow later in the year.

Unfortunately for Rise of the Tomb Raider, yet perhaps unsurprisingly, the game was rumoured to have disappointed when it came to sales, no doubt due to it not releasing on the massively selling PS4, combined with the fact that its release date clashed with the arrival of some other rather big games.

If the game is coming to PC this month then we'll likely hear more on that soon.

Edited On 05 Jan, 2016

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 11 months ago
really can't wait to play this on PC. hopefully be able to pick up a new monitor before it releases.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
people are selling keys for it on other sites ATM - they are saying Nvidia is going to be putting it in with their new cards released on the 7th (key) with the actual release date around the 28th. Will either pick this up in a few months (only 20 atm on PC) or just grab it on the PS4
PHILIP 11 months ago
@joetoots I bet it will look amazing on your set up by the sounds of it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 11 months ago
turnip isn't the rumour the 29th? and that is only a place holder because it's the last Friday of January. @Philip I'm hoping so but looks like I wont be getting my new monitor I wanted. It has gone up £80 and I'm not willing to fork out the new asking price of £500
PHILIP 11 months ago
Jesus....
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
are PC games released on Friday? thought it was Thursday - or was that the old PS4 release date? I get so confused haha! I think that date has appeared because some sites have started selling the keys so that usually means it is close. Supposedly MS are saying they sold over a million copies by the end of the year, but at last count it was only about 65k - either they are lying or the original count didn't include 360 and digital. You know what would be hilarious - based on SE recently porting 'events' - if they ported the 360 version to PC and not the Xbox one version! If they do the Steam forums would be mental :)
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 11 months ago
I'm looking forward to playing this at 1440p and 60+fps :D
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
woo, I was right for once haha! Is this game any good - those who played it - Loved the remake - not too keen on the original 90's games. It is a big step up from the last one or is it just a new setting and about 7/8 hours story?
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
Wait a minute - I've seen this on a few games recently - "for Windows 10 and Steam" does this mean its in the Windows 10 Store AND Steam or does it mean the min requirements is Windows 10 - just like how Halo 2 on PC was Vista only to get people to upgrade. I have Windows 10 - had since day one, its great, but there are a lot of people out there who wont update from Windows 7 - won't they be able to play it?
Neil 11 months ago
Took me about 25-30 hours doing as much as I could, preferred it to the previous but it still isn't Tomb Raider for me... More like Militia Hunter
PHILIP 11 months ago
Can't believe its coming to PC so quickly.... now..... just waiting for the Ps4 version which probably wont be till November.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 11 months ago
It is a surprise it is so soon, but considering MS are pushing PC gaming too and Windows 10, it should have been no surprise. Looking at the minimum specs on Steam, it says the game works with Windows 7 64 bit. I dunno whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or save it for a new PC / laptop. I am a bit sceptical upgrading my PC as it is a few years old, and quite a bit of dust has gone through it (although mostly cleaned out), and do not want new parts getting corrupted from dusty / worn out existing parts!
PHILIP 11 months ago
If I was to gt back into Pc gaming it would cost me too much cause my Pc is a few years old now and it would bug me knowing I am playing a game with visuals downgraded cause my system couldn't run it how its intended to look on a Pc.
Turniplord's avatar
Turniplord 11 months ago
if you have an official Windows 7 then it should be still free to upgrade to windows 10 isn't it? If so I would say do it - Windows 8 was, without doubt, faster and more efficient than Windows 7 (people just complained and dint' even try it because of the menu which you can easily change back) and Win 10 is more optimised but with all the benefits of Win7 and 8.1 - Plus, if you do an 'upgrade' there is usually an option to roll back within the first few months if you are not happy as it backs everything up. I've yet to come across anything that doens't work that used to work in Win 7/8.1
Craig 11 months ago
It was a terrible decision not to release it on the PS4. Square Enix really shot themselves in the foot as Tomb Raider has always been a PlayStation game